Select Page

My First Land Cruiser

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS My First Land Cruiser

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

It seems like the LC team had a few objectives in mind when they made sure the frame rails lined up perfect for Steel Bumpers and winches.

Those sliders look wicked, a lot wider than I thought they were when mounted.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks guys! Yeah the winch tucked in there nicely, I might get a chance this evening to get bolted it down and test fit the bumper and fairlead.

Keep in mind though you could get an 80 series with a factory Toyota PTO winch so it seems like they designed the frames like that for a reason!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I love when form follows function, so logical.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Total stealth mode. You can barely tell there’s a winch in there. Just gotta order up my synthetic rope and it’ll be all good to go. I wired it up yesterday and it works. I mount the control box under the hood. I’d like to find a better spot for it but the wires only go so far.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

It looks good!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with synthetic winch line? Brand, thickness length etc?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I have steel cable on mine and was just going to use that until it wore out. Amazon seems to have some good deals – Ranger synthetic 3/8 x 85′, 20,500lbs for $99.

A bunch of guys on TacomaWorld use synthetic cable and I’ve seen it in action, but not sure what brands…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Slick_Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That is so stealth. I can’t spot it at all. Is you plate on a hinge?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

That’s the one I was thinking of getting, I’d like to get a proper snatch block too mine is really heavy and big.
    Tom it’s not on a hinge but I think that might be a good idea, or try to move it somewhere else. I haven’t really decided.

My exhaust hangs down really low so I cut it and bolted it up a few inches higher. And I added a factory tow point to the back of my frame for a solid anchor point.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Toy-Yota.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I thought you might turn the exhaust to come out behind the tire – this would give you a little more clearance back towards the bumper.

Before I put my high clearance (at least higher than stock) I used to drag the bumper on everything…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

That was my plan actually but I didn’t have any welding wire and I’d like to keep the Borla resonator that’s on there. This was just a quick fix to get me going. I’d like to cut it above the rear axle and then do a side exit after the tire.

It just always bugs me when I see how low it is and with the size and wheelbase of 80, it’ll hit on any kind of ledge and probably get crushed

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I dont know why when I resize it they flip sideways but you’ll have to deal with it. Been messing around in the back 40, building a little cabin and wood stove. I got stuck and of course haven’t put any winch rope on yet so I had to get a tug from my from with his JK. Right now I need the winch rope, the truck needs new belts, and it needs a coolant flush and fill which I got the stuff for today

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That cabin looks wicked! Is that a natural rock formation for the back wall, or what remains of a 200-year old foundation?

Your sequence of photos reminded me of a Mitch Hedburg bit “If I ever get lost (stuck) in the forest, fuck it I’ll just build a house. Well I was lost, but now I live here. I have severely improved my predicament”.

How many tensioners and idlers are on the front of your motor?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Cool cabin!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah it’s a natural rock wall, thanks guys! I believe there’s just a tensioner for the AC belt and then one tensioner for the alternator belt, which is actually double belted. I tightened it up and swapped some belts to get the squeaking to stop.

My synthetic line came in today too so gonna get that spooled on.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024