Select Page

My First Land Cruiser

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS My First Land Cruiser

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Since the Orange Saphhire has left a giant hole in my heart I was looking HARD for something else, I looked at a Jeep LJ but it’s a Jeep, was rusty and 2 door. I looked at a couple 3rd Gen 4runner’s but I knew I’d be disappointed with how it wheeled. I don’t want to trailer my rig around anymore. So I wanted a do everything truck that could still wheel well and drive across the country. I only put 5k on my 4runner in like 5 years so I don’t care much about fuel economy.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Moab and Grand Canyon in November so that gives me about a month and a half to get off my ass and build something.

The truck: 97’ Lexus LX450, it’s a BC truck, 340k km. Best part, it’s triple locked, elockers front and rear!

cant wait to get more pics of progress for you guys. Step one: safety and register it.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Evan buddy!  Sweet find!  I’m looking forward to the updates and custom parts you fabricate both before, and after your Moab trip.

Cheers to wrenching!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Congrats on the new rig!  Looks to be in great shape for a ’97.

evan, that was quick! nice score buddy. i’d say the first mod should be firin’ up the sawzall n cut some $h!t loose.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks guys! It’s a BC truck, and honestly we had it up on the hoist today for a safety and it looked really really good, I’m happy Overall. It’s much better than I thought for what I paid. It passed safety today and got an appraisal so it’s all good to go.  I put a rock auto order last night, spark plugs, rear power stop brakes, valve cover gasket. I have a solid 3 grand to put into and more once I sell my camper, and a bunch of tires and spare parts etc.

First step is going to be rear brakes and getting a lift in it. Probably gonna go with old man emu, a 2.5” to start

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Evan, if the trailer is for sale, what’ll be your new arrangement?  Ground tent? Roof top tent? Sleeping inside the Cruiser?

Remember to check out the “Internet Coupons” thread within Members Only for RockAuto discount codes.

That lift will be beggin’ for tires 😉

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Were going to take my friends expedition trailer with roof top tent. It’s a lot lighter and has better storage options. We may sleep in the truck for parts too in the way.

Today I took off the side steps on the driver side (that’s all I had time for) I went to 4 wheel parts and ordered the old man emu HD 2.5 suspenion kit; which I think was more money than I have ever spent on an entire project vehicle. Friday I’m supposed To go pickup a used gas tank because mine has a leak at the top somewhere. The guy who has the tank also has a set of mud terrain 255/85r16 which is basically 33.5×10 skinnies. I think that’ll be good for our road trip!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Eventful day! Sold my camper and delivered it this morning, and tonight I fought long weekend traffic to get the fuel tank and the 255s from Aurora. Can’t wait to get the lift on, tank changed and tires swapped over.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sweet photo, looks like you just arrived through a portal, or time paradox. (Think time machine covered in ice).

If you get those tires swapped over before next weekend, come up to Shelburne for a Pre-Moab shakedown run. Give you and the wife some seat time, and can test some switches when the road gets “less travelled”.

I gotta buddy who has been coveting the Lexus version of that truck for years, seeing one in action may light a fire under him. He’s a toyota guy, but without a Toyota.  His dad has owned ‘87, ‘89 Pickups, and 2000’s Tundra, but he’s in a Subaru Legacy……non-turbo…..CVT….. so sad.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

We’re going to be in Ottawa in the Saturday, so lame wish we could come. All these plans put a damper on the build. Today I spent the whole day swapping out the fuel tank though. Got it all finished and back in, so that’s good news I was dreading doing it because of all the undercoating. Really excited to get the lift kit in and rear bumper torn off.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

What tires did you grab?  You mentioned 255/85 but not the brand (or I misread).  I was looking for 33×10.5 for Redee, but didn’t like prices of KM3’s…so settled on 33×12.5

forestman
    Participant

That’s one nice Landcruiser, looks brand new. Moab trip planning= the best planning

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks guys, the truck seems really solid overal. Really pumped for Moab, still in the planning stage and working like crazy to get the truck together. Still waiting on the lift parts.

Pulled the rear bumper today and started deciding how I want to do the bumper and tire carrier.

The tires I picked up are 255/85r16 old style mud terrains Tom! They’re basically brand new. Anywhere here’s what I’m thinking for a high clearance bumper, probably something like this, probably square tube though but much like my last bumper.

As you can see there’s a rear crossmember that’s gotta be cut out, I’ll probably have to hack off some of the frame to get the bumper up high.  I’ll remove the hitch and put a receiver into the bumper.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

That green truck has the receiver built into it, like my rear bumper.  Mine’s a home made job.

there might be a pic of it in my build thread.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Finally got the goods from 4wheelparts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024