Select Page

My First Land Cruiser

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS My First Land Cruiser

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Don’t be fooled this is the culmination of about 20 hours of labor! But have been busting my ass in the garage this last week.

Got the metal prep from POR15, lathered that on and rinsed it off, my wife helped me paint it with POR this aft, then I primed and painted it in the garage with a propane heater going, and I just put a final coat on at 9 tonight and stuck them beside my wood stove for the night in our apartment. Haha, so I’ll have it all mounted up tomorrow and ready to go, just have to weld on one more support after I get it assembled, it’s just an added support that goes over the hinge to stiffen it up and makes that swing out unremovable, unless you cut the support. That way no one can walk off with my jack or anything. Also I welded my CB antenna mount to it

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Painted, installed and ready to go, the latch for the tire and high lift side of the swing out does move and rattle a little. I put some rubber on there to stop the rattle but the whole thing moves around a little more than I’d like so I’ll have to figure that out.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Toyota Tom
    Participant

Looks awesome!! Can you shim or move the hook side of the latch a little to make it fit tighter? I can’t really see the style of latch you have there

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Looks Great!  Will the license plate being half covered be an issue?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks guys! Yeah I need to move the license plate I might make a mount that goes up on the tire carrier. It turned out it pretty well I’m happy Overall, the one swing out moves a little more than I’d like so I have to address that, the more I look at pics too I want bigger tires haha

Sad news but we decided to postpone our trip to Moab, it was too much with work and life going on. I have to rebuild he front axle before we go and I won’t have time before Sunday when we were supposed to leave.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Mine is just bolted to the back bumper.  2 holes drilled and tapped, does the trick…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Total bummer man. But on the positive side you’ve already got the plans, skills and partner, just gotta wait for the green light.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah good call Tom. We’d really like to have a good plan when we go, this was sort of a last minute, if-it-all-worked-out sort of trip, and too much was culminating at once. On the positive side I really pushed to get some work done on the truck and accomplished a lot in a short time. So it’s totally ready to wheel as it is. The front birfs leak a lot though so I’ll do the front axle and wheel bearings over the winter.

well, that’s bunch of fabbin’ done in short while, way to get after it evan!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

You know how parking gets at Costco. I’m an opportunist…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Evan, you’ve been driving the LC for almost two months now, how is it?  V8 and solid axles feel pretty empowering? Your Truck looks awesome, just curious if it drives awesome too.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I like it, it’s comfortable unlike the first gen. I’ve wheeled it once on the trail behind my place. Couldn’t get the rear locker to engage so I need to address that. Front was locked no problem. It has enough power with the 4.5 but definitely no powerhouse. I already want 35s so I might bolt mine up one of these days.

overall I’m happy, excited to get a little work done over the winter. 1) front axle rebuild I’ll start one of these days. 2) rear drawer setup

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Looks like I can sell the superduty. New work truck in town! Think it’ll handle my 1000 LB plow on the front? Actually tows the trailer pretty good, horrendous on fuel but you only live once. Smiles per gallon.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Haha I wonder how the LC will tow with 35’s.  Making a steel run?  Sliders?  Front bumper?

Pretty fun winter project lined up with the rear storage. Hopefully that rear locker is a cheap fix.  I know those e-locker actuators are not cheap parts, fingers crossed it’s a lesser repair for you.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah I hope it’s cheap too, the actuator seemed like it was in good shape but I haven’t taken a good look yet.

I wish it was a steel run I was just picking up some wood to make storage in the shop.

It’ll  probably be a dog with 35s but oh well. It’s so horrendous on fuel right now that I don’t even care.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024