Select Page

My First Land Cruiser

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS My First Land Cruiser

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Good work on the Jeep!

Does unburned jet fuel have any significant odour?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

The odour isn’t as bad as diesel or kerosene. It leaves a little smell for sure but it heats up the shop quick so I usually have a door cracked open.

Got a new toy today!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Plasma cutter! Nice!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Awesome new toy! I’ve got way more hours plasma cutting than welding under my belt, such a useful tool. Haha better keep it away from the Jet Fuel.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Hopefully it works out well. I have a few projects on the list. 1 and 2) front bumper for the LX and a stubby bumper for my friends JK. The next project might be another trailer, if mine sells. If it doesn’t I might build another anyway. Something similar in design but a little bit more lightweight.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sweet projects!

How do you plan to lighten your next trailer setup?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Definitely plan to lighten the next trailer. If I build another trailer I’ll probably do axle-less suspension. I’d also like to try to keep the atv in a low center of gravity, maybe making some spaces for the tires to sit in, to keep the atv low. The big tires on the trailer will give it the ground clearance it needs. I could also to try to French the suspension components up into the frame a bit. We’ll see how it goes, I’m not Going to build anything until mine sells. I won’t be upset to keep my trailer. I got new tires for my ATV. Pretty pumped

Also I got the steel for my bumper yesterday and we’re gonna start the mock-up tomorrow

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Those are some meaty tires! Holy crap. I doubt my 250 could even turn those treads haha.

Great ideas for lightening the next trailer (should current sell). I’ve never pulled a trailer offroad, would imagine it eats up a lot of power dragging that dead weight. The 4WD Action buys sure make it look easy eh?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Oh ya the tires are big, I love it.

The trailer offroad isn’t too bad, in low range you can lug it around pretty good it just requires constant momentum. I’ve only taken them on a few tough obstacles but I’ve never had to winch.

The trails are here are so tight in a lot of cases, that’s more the issue. I’ve been toying around with something enclosed vs open. I really would prefer another pop up. But a pop up with a space on the front or back for an atv makes it really long. I really want quick setup, setting up and taking down camp is never exciting for us. We either want to get to relaxing quick, or when we’re leaving, get it down quick!

We’ll see what happens, I’m asking 5k for my tent and trailer which is basically what I have into the trailer plus a little bit. In my opinion that’s a good deal, I won’t want to sell it in the spring though, I won’t have enough time to build another once work starts back up.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I know nobody signed up for Jeep builds but here’s the start of the stubby bumper, it was the easiest of the two so we started with this. It still needs a fairlead cut into, and then we’ll cut the top out for a winch to sit in

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

LOL. Looks pretty heavy duty. What thickness of metal did you use?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

We only used 1/8 probably should have used 3/16 for his but wanted to keep the weight down.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Here’s my review of the plasma: it cut great, super fast. You need to be sure you’re cutting straight up and down, rather than at an angle. You don’t touch the tip to the material, So it’s a little hard to free hand. On a long straight you need to have a guide clamped on. On a project like this with lots of cutting you’d go through so many cutting discs on a grinder, it’s nice not to have to change them out and get covered in dust. Not to mention discs can get expensive. It cut through 3/16 no problem that was my first test. And we cut off a mount on the Jeep frame that was 1/4” and again no issue. I like the machine itself is really small and light. We only used it on 220 so I can’t say how powerful it is on 110. This unit does both it just comes with an adapter. Overall I was really impressed it’ll cut a 30” long section of 1/8 in like 20 seconds. You do have to clean up some of the slag though after. So a little added time there. But for complex cuts and tight to reach places it’ll be great. It cut through a painted surface no problem too. If it lasts a few years of use I’d be really happy.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Jeep bumper turned out great! Simple and effective. I don’t mind watching Jeep builds, I just enjoy watching the fabrication!! Keep it coming Evan, looking forward to seeing your new front bumper for the LC.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Im trying to take my time with this one. Here’s my progress after about 7 hours, lots of measuring.

Here’s what I’m going For, and here’s where I’m at. I decided to leave the winch plate separate, and I’ll bolt the actual bumper to the winch plate. If I need access to anything I just take off 6 bolts and then get right to the winch. Instead of dropping the whole big heavy thing.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024