Select Page

My First Land Cruiser

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS My First Land Cruiser

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That looks awesome so far! The modular idea is killer too, real back saver. Are you gonna put some kind of alignment tabs, or “resting hooks” on the bumper or whinch plate? Lift it up, hook the notch, then grab your fasteners and work on final alignment.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

The bumper itself will rest on the winch mount plate so it will hold itself there. I’ll be careful not to add too much heat when finish welding so nothing moves around too much. The mounting bolts will all have nuts welded on the backside, 4 are like that from the factory, and 2 I’ll add. So it’s just a matter of ripping them off with the impact to remove.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

That’s a great idea. I have to drop my bumper to access the winch. At least my bumper isn’t that heavy and I just use the winch to support it from the overhead I beam in my garage.

Toy-Yota
    Participant
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Your brother-in-law handy at all? I’ve got three Bro-laws, none of which can turn a wrench. Two can swing a mean hammer, and I’d have no reservations to sitting back and watching them reno my house haha.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

^^^LOL.
    1 of 2 of my bro-in-laws + a nephew work in the construction industry, but they rarely have time for their own renos… They helped me with the gas line to the garage for beer!

I’m the only one that works on vehicles…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

My brother-in-law sets up tradeshows for work I thought he’s pretty good with general tools but not so much on cars, although when we were looking at cars for him the last couple weeks I think he learned quite a bit. If I showed him how to the front brakes I think he’d have no issue with it, they just live in an apartment building so they have no where to work on stuff.

Making some progress today boys, I should have it finish welded and grind down, just no filler or paint

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That looks killer! I like how your bumpers turn out buddy. Would you consider building me a rear bumper for Redee? Lemme know either way, I’d love to build (or buy) something similar to what you built for the sapphire. Plate bumper, simple swingout, receiver hitch. (I saved a pic to refernce for my build two years ago…still havent started)

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Here’s the bumper welded and ground, I’m bappy With how it turned out, there’s a few minor things I think I’d change but for the first front bumper I’ve ever done I think it’s good.
    Tom I’d be interested in building you one. I’d have to think about what it would cost. I won’t use the Princess auto swing out hinges anymore, the tire carrier needs a hinge with bearings and a strong mounting surface. If you wanted a small swing out for a gas can, max tracks etc those small hinges are fine. I built that rear bumper with a grinder and a mastercrap 110 welder so I think the quality of one I could make now would be better.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I like how the bumper “fits” the angles of the LC in the second pic there.

Yea I’m interested as well, but I’m in no rush, Redee is not a spending priority right now. Come up with a price, and we’ll both have something to chew on a while.
    I don’t feel I need a gas can (despite my awful mileage), but I really wanna get my 33” spare stored outside again as it’s currently in the trunk. I wanted to sleep back there camping, but the tire takes up too much space and I couldn’t get comfy. Spare tire and hi-lift on the bumper would be perfect. A couple recovery points and a 2” receiver. I wanna get my dirtbike carrier on the back of Redee, she would look awesome!!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Profile of that bumper looks great on your LC! Nicely done!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks guys, gotta clean up the backside a little, and get some metal prep and Por 15 on there hopefully tomorrow. I also have to cut the excess width off my winch plate so it matches the profile of the rest of the bumper.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Like Tom, my paint didn’t lay down how I wanted. I think the heat in the shop made it react weird. I sanded it and put down a top coat and then I took a sanding block to it again and later down another coat.
    And here’s the cut out for Warn 10k on the JK

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Here’s the final product minus the lights I haven’t really decided what to do for that yet.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Looks great buddy!!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024