Select Page

The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

I tacked and welded it flat on the concrete floor and it came out dead straight! I saw that coffee meet, we’ve had so many plans lately so I won’t be able to make it this time around.

I’m going to get up early and finish it off tomorrow but here’s where I left off.

Sleeve welded up

Corners 45’ed and guesseted

Cut up an 85 axle axle shaft for the hub, and I drilled a hole in the end and welded a nut to the bumper. Here’s the handle to tighten the swing out

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Damn nice work!

Strategic tack welds and welding opposite balance will keep it straight without a jig.  Nicely done!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks, really appreciate the commendation! I haven’t done too much welding, and I’m only Using a 110 machine with flux core. Here’s where I left off this morning. I also have a badass old metal gas can to mount too, beside the tire. And my hi-lift

Rear trim on the tailgate was close I had to make a cut out, gotta finish that up.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Today’s progress

phawk evan!!!!! you’re settin’ the bar motherin’ high!  this ole b@$turd’s gonna have to quit his job if he’s gonna get any where close to that.

what i like about all this is that you’re buildin’ your $h!t rather than crawlin’ into mom n dad’s pocket. cudos man

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Haha thanks Finn, don’t be fooled I’m not working much right now because we haven’t had any snow so I’m not at work everyday like you guys are. But this build is very much so a budget build.

My wife and I don’t work full time, and we try to live a pretty simple life, we volunteer a couple days a week and we like to travel, we don’t have kids, we rent the basement at my parents house. Luckily my dad is cool with my taking over the garage and he likes to see that im building something cool instead of sitting around.

But the budget on this truck is small. Almost all the cool parts on this truck I wheeled and dealed and got used. Saved alerts on kijiji are a wonderful thing, but when parts come up you like you have to drive to go get them. I paid 700 for the whole blue truck and tried to use everything that I could from my Orange one before I scrapped it.

This tire carrier is built out of scrap steel that I snagged from one of my clients lol. I always like to tell people that you can have something cool you just have to BUILD it yourself. And you don’t have to buy top shelf, full price parts from 4 wheel parts.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Rear main seal came in today, got it installed, and I cleaned up my flywheel, and I picked up the side armor and tacked that in place. Pictures:

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Been trying to get this stupid 7.3 running, but I started with paint tonight. Por15 is the best, just gotta top coat it

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Loving the 4Runner man. Progress coming in bunches makes for awesome updates. Appreciate the first gen eye candy.

Where can you find POR-15 in a retail store? I’ve got some super-mega rust prevention planned for fall/winter 2018.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks man! I’m really pushing to try to get this thing done before I go back to work. Had some struggles in the last weeks, I wrecked the clutch disk installing it and had to get another, which is on its way. The list is getting smaller but there’s still a lot to do. I’m done painting I did my header today too. The Por15 you can get at Canadian tire or I bought some at autozone too, I think it’s like 65 bucks but it is impossible to get off. Great for axles and frame and even body work if you want to paint over it (though it’s very difficult to sand)

I installed the backing plate eliminators, bent the hard brake line that goes to my extended braided lines, filled diff fluid, painted header, fixed some coolant leaks

• To do list: clutch and tranny back in
    • Wilwood proportioning valve and all brake lines
    • torque everything that needs it (quick)
    • Oil change and coolant flush
    • driveshafts (quick)
    • install rear bumper and winch (quick)
    • I’d like to do a manual temp gauge, I need to drill an old thermostat housing I have to see if there is enough material to drill and tap for a sensor m
    • alignment and steering stabilizer (quick job
    • Get a safety certificate and insurance

The trail gear bumper doubles as a drying rack

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Getting close! Can’t wait to see this rig!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

You’re telling me! I can’t wait to see it done. My friends and I were talking about what we enjoy more, the build or the driving? I really like the driving and exploring.

I did like the building stuff phase of this build, like the bumper and tire carrier. That was fun and I learned a lot. But doing this whole build from top to bottom myself, I feel very confident in my mechanical abilities when it comes to first gen trucks and runners, especially the ability to fix things while on the trail. So I’m glad I did it, but I’m ready to wheel and have people on the street give me the thumbs up

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Crap picture but painted and installed. Side armor ended up way too close the body so it’s got be moved out a little tiny bit but hopefully I can bend it.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I’ve hit the side of my truck a couple of times when R&R my rear bumper by myself (as finn noticed last week).  But I can’t be bothered to change it now.

Your bumper looks great!  I’m going to have to blast and POR15 mine too.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024