Select Page

The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I think I need a place with a garage, so I can build a truck too!

Looking good! Can you safety a truck that doesn’t have factory floor panels?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

The day I got the 88 body on the 85 frame. I was worried about this part, because I don’t have a hoist, and the body was at my friends shop where I don’t have any of my heavy equipment. Ended up using an engine hoist and ratchet strapping from the roll bar up to the ceiling joists in his garage. Which worked out pretty well.

Once I got it to this point, progress went a little faster. It was a year working on it up to this point and it was driving me nuts that it wasn’t near to be done.
    I freshened up the 87′ 22re over the winter, had an Sr5 gauge cluster to go in it. Then I stumbled upon a TG front bumper and dual skid plate, a used high steer and a set of solid axles. Parted out what I didn’t need and kept the rest.

So I got the body on, loaded it up on the trailer and brought it home. I was really excited.

Got it all primed at my shop!! And a member from SONTT who lives close by gave me an awesome deal on some old style MTRs on tacoma rims.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

@Slick_yota thanks for responses! I’m glad you guys are actually watching!

Definitely nice having a shop, still looking at getting a hoist. It’s just tough to find a decent 10k hoist, I need one that can lift my one ton trucks.

Thats a good question about the floor panel. I never really thought about it, I hope it goes ok. If not I know a guy. Everything on the truck will be new when I got to safety it so I’d be bummed if it didn’t pass.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Spray the whole bottom with PVC, so they can’t tell it was replaced.

toy-yota, we’re watchin buddy. you’re settin’ the bar for pictures being posted quite high, love it! as to having the floor completely replaced, try to find a shop that operates with common sense vs it’s gotta be by the book. what about the guy that does your annual inspections for the tow pig n trailers?

slick, i know where there is one!

Toy-Yota
    Participant
    1. Slick, What do you mean spray it with PVC?

My equipment mechanic should safety it without an issue, I know another shop closeby that safetied my friends 85′ it was a low km 4runner but full crawler, so I have some options. Here’s his rig:

It is crazy though I had some 285/75 tires put on my work truck to replace the 265s and Costco wouldn’t install them and even the random mechanic I got to do it said he wouldn’t safety it because they’re 3% over stock size! To me that’s unreasonable.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Heres the the rest of version 2.0- the body swap and paint. I used rustoleum 2x painters touch paint. I did a lot of prep work and I considered having it painted professionally, but just couldn’t justify it for a crawler.

Engine bay clean up and sprayed

Base coat, this was back in September/October

Best part: laying down some SR5 stripes!    😀

First time outside all assembled, got the top all painted too, I just did it with a small roller, turned out OK I think

It’s funny how others can look at all these pictures and it seems like progress is going really fast, and there are no hiccups. This is a year and a half of work. Probably over 100 hours of prep work on the body. Hours of taping and painting, and sanding. I was beyond excited to get back to re-assembly and mechanical. I will never, ever, paint another vehicle again.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.

hot damn!!!  that ironman paint scheme i likey!!!!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks Finn!!!! Ya looking back at pictures I should have painted the tailgate red, I’ll probably do that once I get everything else done.

Heres the motor going back in after the core support was painted

22re sitting pretty in its new home.

Hered how it sat before winter, no there’s two feet of snow on it! I pulled the rear axle out to put an IFS width axle in and do brakes and stuff like that. And I put the TG bumper on! And that brings it pretty well up to date.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Jesus, that’s beautiful!  Nice work man!

PVC is a sealer we spray on the bottom of Toyotas for rust protection and noise reduction.  It goes on pretty thick…

it’s a poly-vinyl chloride sealer.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Hey Mark, if I buy that place, I might just take you up on that!

Krezz

Pretty amazing!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Wow thanks guys! It’s definitely a 20 ft paint job that looks better in pictures.

Ontarios tight trails won’t be nice to the paint though so I’m happy with.

I should look into the PVC spray while it’s all still clean underneath. I did wire wheel the whole bottom of the body, and I Por-15’ed it. I wonder the if the PVC spray will work on top of it. I wouldn’t mind the sound deadening

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I’ve never seen the application, other than at the factory.  Not sure if it’s something you could get privately…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

This is basically up to date now, here’s a to do list:

• IFS rear axle with new seals
    • castor shims
    • ujoints all around
    • brakes all around
    • new seals in the front axle
    • the blower fan resistor
    • manual temp gauge or fix the SR5 cluster
    • clutch isn’t engaging all the way, figure that out, hopefully its just adjustment in the pedal
    • rear window doesn’t work
    • all brake lines
    • hook up ebrake
    • New pitman arm and tie rod end
    • install steering stabilizer
    • coolant was leaking from the front of the motor somewhere, after I got it running I noticed, but then I put it away for the year. Really hoping it’s just the water pump
    • install window trim and badges
    • build rear bumper and tire carrier

I should be able to bang a lot of that out in one day with some help.

After all that I can start looking at a pop up trailer to lift! Also here’s what I’m thinking about doing for a rear bumper. I’m open To suggestions for sure, I just don’t have a way of bending tube right now so I’d prefer mostly square. I did have these rear quarter panel armour bent up from DOM by a friend though.

This was the inspiration for paint

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024