Select Page

The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I thought I had a head gasket leaking LLC and it turned out to be a loose temp sensor.  Hope yours turns out easy too.

good idea for the trailer – I was thinking of lifting a 12′ Bolens hard top trailer.  Just need a house to store all my crap first…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I’ve been hearing that a lot more lately, friends are ready to start building trucks or getting trailers, but they’re always limited by space. For us of the younger generation (25 years old) owning a house anytime soon is far fetched

Toy-Yota
    Participant

This is a device a friend built to press backing plates off rear axle shafts. Worked pretty well until I busted one of the angle iron pieces off. The backing plate was pretty seized on there. I had to weld it all back together. You know youre wrenching session isn’t going well when you have to start welding your tools back together.

Stupid rusty toyotas. Side note: Its awesome having friends with Toyotas because can all share tools like this and spare parts.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

You guys might appreciate this. My friend in Smithville was parting out a 4runner that I took the seats from, and this was inside. I got it before I planned to paint my truck the same way. Love vintage Toyota stuff

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Cleaned up my IFS width rear axle. Decided to weld the shock mounts on the back of the axle and box them in to get full travel out of my shocks. Had some plate that was thick enough for armor and but not too thick that I couldn’t bend it. So I welded up diff armor too.

hey evan, is this fairly close to  real time or just postin’ up documentation recorded since the demise of sontt? if real time, keep burnin’ dude. lookin’ good

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Hey Finn! The last few posts are real time! Just trying to plug away at it while work is slow and the weather is decent!

got the rear axle welded up, just have to paint it on a nice day, sandblast the backing plates, re seal it and throw the third back in.

Toy-Yota
    Participant
    • Some Por15 goodness, in my opinion  POR15 is the best rust paint for anything chassis related. I will do my tube bumpers too in the spring.

But damn is it ever expensive. I saw it on partsource today and decided I shouldn’t cheap out, almost 80 bucks with tax. It does go along way though. I’ll probably do my axles, bumpers, high steer kit and steering box, and my whole frame and plow frame on my superduty.

Sandblasted as best I could

Hanging out with my heaters

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

how much POR15 does 80 bucks get you?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

One quart, 946ml.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Sooo, got some parts from Rockauto and as I started reassembling everything I realized my wheel bearings have quite a bit of play. They looked decent and I made the mistake of not checking them well when I disassembled everything. Does anyone know of a good place to get them? Rock auto has decent ones for 130 shipped for both, at Napa I think the KOYO ones are 78 each. Kinda bummed I really I wasn’t expecting to have to do them.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Haven’t heard anything bad about the koyo, but nothing bad about rockauto either…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Well I got the rear axle together and back in. Was waiting on rear inner axles seals but decided to just put it together anyway. It’s easy enough to do them once they come in. At least now I can move it around into the shop
    Other news: my dad smashed up the bed on my work truck so I think I’m going to flat bed it which takes time away from my Runner. Found a flatbed 7.3 in Sudbury that’s the same colour scheme as my truck, so I may swap the beds and then sell it again.

Also here’s the rear bumper and swing out I decided on. I already had the side peices bent up, and I have most of the steel for the bumper. And I already bought the hinge from princess auto.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

No progress on the truck but I added a sketchy lean-to on my parts shed out random wood I had laying around the shop. Now all my tires and axles will be covered at least. Once my Bobcat comes back home after the winter I’ll probably put my two parts engines in there too.

As you can: Evans’s Automotive and Off-road is a state of the art facility!

the garage mah-hall. parts protection is paramount.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024