Select Page

The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I spy a fourth, or even fifth snow blower in there.

Hope that $5 gasket is the key  to solving your coolant leak.

Your buddies BJ60 is awesome!! My second favourite offering from Toyota’s catalogue (available in North American market).

yeah slick, those shouldn’t be sittin’ in the garage, they should be out makin’ $$$, but the weather gods have not been good for his livelihood. looks like his sidewalk salt stockpile hasn’t shrunk much either

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah the BJ is rad. Yeah I have 5 blowers, 3 single stage 2 strokes, a single stage 4 stroke and a big 32” 2 stage for the deep stuff.

Work has been slow but contracts are all signed, we get paid extra for salt that’s the only downfall.

I do think I fixed the leak but I’ll probably run it for a bit tomorrow and see how it turns out. Pain in the ass, the gasket I got from Napa was the wrong size and I ended up taking it apart again and then using RTV on the housing even though FSM apprently says you don’t need it

Toy-Yota
    Participant

There you go fellas, short video of a couple of the features on my short trail. Hope you don’t mind me snagging the logo.

Doesnt look like anything difficult in the video and it isn’t really, I ran it in reverse and some obstacles actually took a couple tries especially with the snow

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sweet run there Evan! More proof that a picture doesn’t do it any justice. Your 35”s help to give scale to the size of the rocks. That last bit looks slippery and off camber.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah in a more stock vehicle it will definitely be a challenge, and some of it is a little tight so you have to maneuver yourself into tight spots to get the right angle especially when you run it backwards

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Front end is moving in the direction I want, love the light bar so far. Next on the list is a synthetic winch cable, and maybe a new fairlead.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

How much weight will the synthetic line save you?  What other benefits can you expect? I figure safety for one, less kinetic energy stored in the synthetic rope than steel.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice vid!  looks like you didn’t even air down….

Toy-Yota
    Participant

No I don’t ever really air down which is dumb because I trailer it to most trails.

yeah mostly weight savings and it’s really easy to work with synthetic line!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Looks like you got some snow coming your way this weekend to add another layer of difficulty to your trails…..should you have any time/energy after work.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Took her out the other night, broke through the ice on this mudhole and got stuck. Ended up weasling my way out after I realized my winch was not working. After, everything on the truck froze including the locking hub. So I decided to hammer and chisel the hub to unlock it and broke the face. Got it swapped out and fixed the winch so it’s good to go for the next run.

on the 4xtra i ran in the single digits n no beadlocks. got lucky n never popped a bead. the drop in pressure was a game changer for me, the beast quit trying pound me into mush. it also made the engine think it wasn’t fighting with 35s

Toy-Yota
    Participant

That is definitely one real benefit I could see in a lead sprung truck, the in between trails would be a lot more comfortable to drive on.

I dont know if any of you guys watch 4wdaction Australia on YouTube but they all air down pretty low with no headlocks and on the long Australian trails they do they say it really helps with getting beaten up inside the cab.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That’s a great show 4WD Action. Those guys sure do enjoy their work. To this day I can’t believe how little armour they run. One episode where Shaun rolled the Dirty 30, you get a clean look at the undercarriage. No skids. Bumpers and sliders only.  And they’re way more hardcore than me….different leagues.

Airing down for comfort is just as awesome as airing down for traction. A little goes a long way. Dropping my 31” duratracs from 30psi to 18psi was nearly the equivalent of paving the trail. Sure you still feel the big bumps, but you ride more like a boat.  Had the Bigruuner down to 5psi in ardbeg, and didnt need 4wd. Felt like riding a recliner through the woods.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024