Select Page

The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

No kidding they enjoy their work, can you imagine having a job like that?

As I do more research about on board air I hear people saying that airing down will be the biggest and best modification you can do to your vehicle for offroad.

So I need to sort out what compressor I’m going get. Probably a Viair from amazon. I might hard mount it somewhere I’m not sure  yet

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Between those Aussies, and the former Top Gear crew on BBC, it’s hard to decide eho has the sweeter job. I tip my hat to Top Gear cause they get to meet some smokin’ hot celebrities.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thinking about selling my offroad pop up if anyone is interested. We’re throwing around the idea of trailering my 4runner to Moab so I’d need to a truck camper to replace it.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Evan, I’m interested!  Not sure it’ll get the stamp of approval from Sam,  She wants us to go to Universal Studios.

Moab trip sounds like fun man.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

what are you thinking of asking for it?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

3000 is what I would like (search offroad camper on kijiji), I’m hoping to the right person I’ll get that much money because it’ll help us out paying for part of a trip and help to buy the truck camper.

The idea seems unrealistic right now mostly because 1) the fuel will be like $1500-2000 2) trailering the 4runner that far kinda sucks 3)for the same money we can go to Hawaii which my wife would prefer LOL

Another option is doing one more once over on the 4runner, buying all terrains, adding a sway bar and driving it there with the pop up. We’re still thinking about it.

hey evan, earlier you made mention of a backroads tour down around your neck of the woods, anything ever transpire with that or still in the works?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Most of my Saturday’s in March are taken up, but I was thinking maybe a Sunday would work. I’ll talk to my wife and see what I can come up with, thanks for the reminder!

saturday or sunday works for me, just not this saturday or sunday. sis n bro in law are comin’ to visit, haven’t seen em in a coupla years

Toy-Yota
    Participant

So my wife wanted to start learning to drive standard so we did a lesson the other day.  My worry was that the brakes really suck and I didn’t want her to have to worry about that  Especially while learning. So I swapped the passenger front stuck caliper. And I found in my parts shed what I believe to be a dual diaphragm booster from an 86-87 Turbo pickup or 4runner. Swapped that in today without having to remove any lines which was awesome (thank you copper nickel lines) and bled the caliper. It feels awesome, the front end does really nose dive even after playing with the prop valve but I think it has more to do with my suspension setup.

Stuck the full size spare on too

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Toy-Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That’s awesome wifey wants to learn standard. I taught Sam to drive in 4Runneree. Stuck it in Low range, hubs unlocked, and worked through the motions for a few km of back roads. A month later she bought a 5-spd Chevy Aveo from her future brother-in-law and continued on to master the skills on her own.

That front end dive means you must be getting tons of bite on the calipers.  Can you lock up the 35s yet?

I really dig your rear bumper, clean fit and effective.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

That’s awesome, I really think it’s a good thing to learn standard. I think it helps you focus on driving and forces attention. I’m glad she wants to learn but I wish I taught her in my orange truck with an old clutch instead of my fresh one haha.

I’m going to play around the prop valve and see if I can help the nose dive. Thanks for the compliment on the bumper it was my favourite thing to build.

A friend and I will be building a expedition trailer soon, we just bought the roof top tent for it. It’s a Smittybilt, will post pictures once we start.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

My sister-in-law is in need of a first car, my wife and I are pushing to get her into my wifes 5-spd Focus for two good reasons. Firstas you said, it FORCES you to pay attention and my sis/law NEEDS that. Secondly, Sam wants back into a Caravan, and her super clean low-mileage Focus has no resale value. May as well get ripped off by a family member, as opposed to a dealership or kijiji person. The sale would have to be accompanied by driving lessons. I’ve taught 4-ppl already, and Focus practically drives itself.  Hoping it pans out.

If you ever build ANOTHER rear bumper, lemme know what you want for the current one.  Tempted to drop cash on the Marlin Crawler rear, but no tire/fuel carrier.  Or drop cash on welder, bender, consummables, ppe, etc and build something.

Adjust the rear shoe to drum clearance again, Crank up the rear pressure, and try bleeding the rear drums again. Start “fresh” in one go.

tom, word to the wise, ya can’t go wrong droppin’ cash on tools. that way you can build alot somethings. and in your own style! keep on keepin’ on brother

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I hear yeah. I’ve rebled and adjusted the drums but maybe they have to be done again.

As for the bumper, I built this one with my friends mastercraft 110v welder from Canadian tire, a grinder and a some drill bits. Even if I went bought the welder on kijiji for 200 bucks, I would be way ahead. I got all the metal for free, or used what I had leftover. The hinge for the swing out was like 20 bucks at princess auto, and I re-used an old hub for the mounting surface of the tire carrier. That bumper would be 1000 plus dollars so I say build your own.

Im no expert welder either but I think it turned out really well. My goal for this was to use square tube and not make it look super home made/backyard.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024