Select Page

The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 85' 4Runner Orange Saphhire

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 281 total)
  • Author

ya didn’t catch the pun eh?

i don’t bother tryin’ to flip vehicles cuz as if i need another time sink. side note on that is i do peddle ‘yota truck parts. just like a ‘yota, they don’t move that fast though. i’m ok with it as i’ve got the space to sit on ’em.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Haha I read that way too fast Sorry now that I’ve reread it I see the pun, good one Finn!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Took her out for her last drive before the salt, got some air bags installed on my tow rig

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Evan, did you do anything special to winterize the Orange Saphire?

That JK you parked beside looks tiny in comparison…looks like some good parts on it though.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I haven’t really done anything to winterize it yet I’ve been trying to start it every two weeks or so and I’ve been driving around on the trails by my house just to keep the battery charged up.  When I do decide to stop driving it I usually put a Rain X cover over it and maybe a tarp and then I might put some dryer sheets in it to keep it fresh until the spring LOL

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Not too shabby. Glad the season isn’t over yet for you.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Pulled her in the shop today and drained coolant all over the floor. Cut the upper rad hose and put a temperature sender in and started wiring to the gauge. The original gauge has claimed overheating for years so time for a manual gauge.

Filled the cooling system back up with good stuff (the red toyota/Lexus coolant)

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That’s too funny your gauge failed HOT. on 4Runneree I only ever saw the temp gauge lift off COLD once or twice. Possible I could dig up a picture from the first time I saw it move from Cold to Warm.  It was that astonishing.

Where’d you mount the gauge?

evan, how’s the orange sapphire runnin’ ?

tom, the season is never over!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Kinda wired and mounted it temporarily for now, it doesn’t seem to be reading properly, or the truck isn’t making heat which can’t be because the rear heater is running really hot. Seems to be running okay?? I’m kinda Lost. I wired it to ignition by shoving the wiring into the ignition fuse until my add-a-fuse gets here.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Mark, I consider the “Season over” when the toys get packed up for hibernation.  For my bike that was the day after the collar bone incident haha.

Evan, if your gauge sender is mounted in the rad hose,  it could be reading the cold side of the thermostat (radiator temp) rather than the hot side of thermostat being fed from the cylinder head (engine temp).

The gauge looks awesome, making good use of the smallest storage space in any dashboard I’ve come across.

I had a cheapie gauge mounted to the steering column plastic cover.  It was out of the way of knees/hands, but still able to read it through the steering wheel.

I believe the rear heater if in stock configuration gets hot coolant from the cylinder head and feeds it back to the block. To be honest, I forget how the front heater is plumbed into the coolant circuit. But I always had hotter and faster heat out of the rear heater, especially after my thermostat failed open in January of 2010. Brrrrr.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Decided to install these square tube sliders today, got into it and then made a new decision to start new ones. Part square tube and part round, will post pics as I get into it

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Worked until midnight on these, broke two hole saws so I couldn’t finish drilling out the holes

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Those square & round sliders turned out great.  Pretty impressive for a days work. Will match well with the rear bumper and tie in the front.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I’m so glad you said that, that’s kinda what I was going for, I find square sliders a little cheap looking, so I thought a hybrid between the two would look nice. I didn’t want to pony up the money for shipping something as big and heavy as sliders from TG or marlin. Crawler parts have really skyrocketed in price over the last 5 years

I’ll probably have 10 hours into them total, I always forget how long everything takes working with metal, and fitting things the way you want. I figured a few hours for these but nope!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024