Select Page

Slick bike builds

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Slick bike builds

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

After bracing the engine and strapping it to the lift, removed the wheels and rear drive components and with the help of my lovely assistant, lifted the frame off the engine.
    You can see she has her safety sandals on, but can’t see the vodka/soda lubrication for the event…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Slick_Yota.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

It took all of 5 minutes to put the 02 frame on the 94 engine!
    You can also see Guinness took the time to photobomb said event.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Looking forward to building her up today. Goal is to have her running by end of day!

I was going to sleep in, as I was up till midnight watching LetterKenny and reading 1984.

However with the excitement of the build (and the fact that I need to pick up garbage bag tags before truck comes), I couldn’t sleep. Hence I got up with M at 5am…

Hopefully another successful post at end of day today!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Holy progress Steve! That franken-connie is flying together. How different are the two frames between ‘94 & ‘02? Or just component upgrades (forks, triple tree)?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Tom, the frame on the ZG100 stayed the same from 1986 – 2006. Most of the bike did too. Only thing that changed was components…
    *Bigger rotors on 94+
    *Dual piston front calipers 94+
    *Dash upgrade 94+

The engine had reed valve vents added to the rocker cover as well – I might swap the 94 engine into my 87 if I find much difference once the 02 build is complete. I want to take the FrankenConnie to the track this summer to see how it performs, however I might just sell it to make room for another project…

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

It lives! This is a picture of it running!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Nice that must feel good!!!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Couldn’t be happier! I guess there was no reason for this one not to run, but very satisfying none the less…

Today I must pay attention to the wiper motor on the 09 Taco, which slowed down and stopped moving without assistance earlier this week…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Nice work Steve! Glad she fired up for ya.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Took FrankenConnie for a few laps around the block today. Did a couple of burnouts 😀

I think it pulls harder than the 87! Might have to do another engine swap!!! lol

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Haha that’s awesome!!
    I bet you could improve on your last motor swap time. 2-days is plenty impressive, same day would be timelapse video worthy!!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Went out to the garage today and saw there was gas leaking everywhere from the FrankenConnie.

Tried to turn her over and she hydro locked right away.

Pushed her up on the stand for investigation. Hopefully didn’t bend any valves as she only turned half a crank before locking up.

Will remove the plugs and blow the gas out of the cylinders tomorrow to see if she lives.

I had the petcock on prime, which doesn’t need vacuum to dump fuel in the carbs. Fingers crossed!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Ugggh I hate when I do that. Did that with the Katana while removing the tank from the bike, pissed out all over the bike, myself and the workbench. Spilling gas in the shop sucks enough, the fumes take a while to dissipate from my shop. Pull the drain plug too, I would figure the crankcase is filled with gas too.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Smell of fuel finally dissipated from the garage yesterday. Took time out to do the rotors, pads and calipers on the Tundra.

Got the fronts changed out and brakes bled, no problem. Got to the rear….. parking brake shoes seized in the rotor drums. And conveniently, the access hole wasn’t lined up with the PKB adjuster! Had to destroy the springs and caps to get it off.

Spring kit is $20 and might as well get the pkb shoes for another $40…. There’s always something to throw a wrench into it.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Got the brakes all done on The Tundra. Stops much better now. And the e-brake actually holds the truck on a hill.

Pulled the plugs out of the FrankenConnie and turned her over to blow the fuel out of the cylinders. Put her back together and she fired right up. Luckily no fuel in the crankcase.

Also got the SL started today! It was a good day!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024