Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 611 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I agree with you on that. Not enough space to keep everything cool, or at least not crammed together. Starter shouldn’t be touching exhaust, trans shouldn’t be load bearing to the floor pans.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

LOL. I had to change the starter on my 09 Taco 1 year after I swamped it at Ardbeg (along with the alternator).

The Taco started on the 4 banger was much the same as you described, except I was able to get the bolt out. Still only 1 click at a time with the ratcheting wrench. Bottom bolt, no problem. Top bolt however… What a PITA!!!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Getting This starter out was the single most difficult task I’ve performed on Redee. Would rather make new brake lines again haha, and that is saying a lot.

I had to put a new starter into Purple-ee with the 22re in it. I remember it being difficult, but nowhere near impossible. That starter was proper ruined too, right full of swamp water haha.

I ordered a new SBC 3hp mini starter from a Canadian seller on ebay, comes with new bolts and shims and should arrive next week. Gotta anti-seize the shit out of these starter bolts, don’t know if I have the patience to cut another set out. A shame Redee can’t be bump started like a real truck 😉

I called two Toyota dealerships today and tried to order OEM oil filters, brake pads and rotors for the Taco today, but no dealership is open. Gotta call on Monday 13th when they open for “emergency service and sales” as per their automated message.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Ordered through Collingwood Toyota OEM oil filters, front brake pads & Rotors for Truckee. Pretty excited for this refresh, my front rotors should have been turned about 20,000km ago, but I cheaped out at the time. Paying for it now with vibrations, reduced braking performance, and crappy pad life. Oh well, parts are all in-stock, just 45 minutes up the road.

I Also ordered OVERSIZED rotors for Matt’s 4Runner. I diagnosed a speed related noise to a sticking caliper, so Matt’s taking the opportunity to use OEM parts to upgrade. The Sport model 4th gen 4Runner are equipped with ever so slightly (20mm overall diameter) larger calipers & rotors as compared to the SR5&Limited models. Naturally, if it’s time to replace a sticky caliper and heat scorched rotor, it’s a fine time to upgrade. We’ll do a full brake fluid flush while we’re at it.

Fun couple days in the shop once Collingwood Toyota, ebay and RockAuto deliveries come through. Two brake jobs and a starter en-route.

In the meantime, I’ll continue building one badass swing-set.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice! I took some time off the bikes to build a pergola. Have to resize my F___ing pictures again…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Pergola looks great Steve. I like the many levels of your backyard. Looks like it keeps going uphill, could just be an illusion.

The postman has dropped off the first batch of goodies, a brand new starter for Redee.

Still working on the badass swingset for my girls, I just carried the bulk of it from my warm shop, to the backyard where it’s once again snowing. Thinkin’ I’ve had enough until I can work in the sun tomorrow, even if daytime high is only a miserable -1.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Thanks! Yes, the back yard keeps going up into the forest. 10 acres of township greenspace. The garden is on the first tier, then it goes up to one more, then up to the trail.

Nice swing set! I made one of those for my kids back in the early 90’s – lol…

It snowed here lightly for about an hour – didn’t amount to anything.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Got the starter installed with only a little drama.

I complained to the ebay seller because the two bolts to bolt the starter to the engine are just generic bolts, not the knurled type as advertised. Also, only two 1/2mm shims were included, so I ended up making a 2mm shim from scrap steel I had. The ebay seller basically said “We are incapable and unwilling to help you, that’s how we got it from the supplier. Yea so what the picture doesn’t match what we shipped you.” So not too pleased.

Starter is finally in, and works just fine. Now I can pull Redee out the shop to do brake jobs on Truckee and Matts 4Runner. Matt’s first, sometime tomorrow I suppose.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Be sure to write a scathing review. They should smarten up…

I bought a lift kit from Street/Dirt/Track through Amazon and they sent me a Chevy front kit by mistake. I sent an email explaining the circumstances… They were very prompt at sending me the correct part and didn’t send return packaging for the Chevy parts. They haven’t even asked about getting the wrong parts back!

I gave them an excellent review for how well they treated me.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Finished the epic swingset this morning as the sun was coming up. Girls approved! The dead patch of grass under the swings and base of the slide is already in progress! It’s a pretty fast slide haha.

Last night I was only able to put rear pads in Matt’s 4Runner. I was gunning to get it all done, but we need to order a new hardline that connects directly to the caliper. The old lines have not failed, but are too soft to be removed. I got the pass side to crack loose, but the tube itself started to twist/kink. Had I continued it would have yielded, pinched closed, or simply broken. So I tightened it all back while we wait on OEM parts to arrive. In the meantime I’ll assemble the new calipers with new pins, springs and pads on the workbench.

Truckee will be down for pads and rotors this coming week.

Sam’s Caravan will get its snow tires pulled this week too. Thursday the daytime high will cross the 7 degree threshold, and hopefully stay there this time!!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

OEM brake lines are pretty cheap, considering the pita in bending them manually, which I’ve done.
    Doing the lines front to back, I recommend buying bulk and bend/flare yourself, but the short ones, just buy em…

We actually had snow down here – I had to finish the pergola in the snow.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yea I’m not bending up those ones, too short and radii too tight. I think I paid $16/per side for the same tube on Redee, so I told Matt we’ll wait till parts come in. Hopefully Monday, that FR pass caliper is really dragging making tons of heat.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Took Redee for a blast to Orangeville yesterday, blew some carbon out. Had to turn on my GPS to track my speed, the t-case end of the speedo cable popped out of place, assuming it was during one of my many nights flat on my back under Redee. Already popped the cable back in, but still gotta work on a new retainer of sorts.

Today I finished putting Matt’s new brakes in while he got the hardlines from Collingwood Toyota.
    When I parked the 4th gen in the shop, I tried (and failed miserably) to roll it backwards about 2feet, and gave up after 8 inches. Had to restart the engine and put in gear to get it to roll. It was the passenger side caliper that refused to let go, requiring a 3-lbs sledge to slide off the rotor after the two retaining bolts were out.
    Anyways, quick job to replace the two rotors and calipers with the larger diameter WH version. Tonight, Matt will assist with flushing & bleeding all 4 calipers. I have a Princess Auto vaccuum bleeder, but such as 33% of PA merchandise, it sucks ass. So a “pump-pump-hold” party will take place tonight, and be done with this upgrade.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice! I’ve always used the pump, pump, hold method (with a stick on cars/trucks and bungee strap on bikes…).

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

We finished it up last night as the snow was falling. Kinda cold and shitty, but we flushed 2.5L of clean fluid through and pressure bled all the calipers. Hoping Matt has no trouble heatin’ up those rotors as per directions.

I’ve never attempted pump-pump-hold with a stick. Not too determined to try it out anytime soon, but def one to keep in the back pocket. I will be flushing Truckee later this week when I service her up.

Oil and filter, pads and rotors and fluid flush, engine air filter, zerk greasing (get to try out my grease needle for that impossible zerk in the front d-shaft). Should be a fun time in the shop. All the parts are sitting waiting for me on the bench.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 611 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024