Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

very productive!

before Melissa, I never had any help in the shop (or anywhere else for that matter) – the ex would never lift a finger… I did some pretty sketchy shit myself, just to git ‘er dun….

M helps with everything now! It’s a nice change!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Haha glad M is interested to help.
    My girls love to help for about 9 minutes at a time. So I usually stack a few easy tasks together for when they’re around. Otherwise, Matt is my helper.

Yesterday my oldest daughter helped me swap over snow tires for all-seasons on her moms van. She worked the floor jack, impact drill, hand started lug nuts, and worked the torque wrench with me. She was also the keeper of the lug nut lock nut, and for the first time ever I didn’t have to spend 25 mins checking my pockets and the workbench looking for it!! Win-win!!

Last night (alone) I completed some well overdue maintenance on Truckee. Oil and filter change, only had 6,000km but hadn’t changed since September. I also put brand new OEM pads, rotors, pins and shims in the front. My rotors were 20,000km past being in “decent shape”, and I am a little embarassed how bad they got. (Uggh, photo below, don’t judge me)
    I decided to use the new OEM shim kit I bought about 2-years ago. The next time I replace front brakes, I’ll do the same “WH” upgrade I did to Matts 4th gen. I’ve currently got stock WG fitted, but all 8 pistons moved freely, no need to core charge these yet. Maybe in 5 years.

FJTTSE
    Keymaster

Ok Tom I’ll be the first, shame on you, LOL

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

OMG! My rotors don’t look that bad, but I think they’re still in need of replacement – that wobble I have in the front end… I can’t judge – I know I have to look into the cause of the wobble, but I’ve got so many other things to do that it’s bottom of the priority list.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Haha thanks Kev. I need a little public shaming for those rotors. I knew they were less than good about 15,000km ago, but still no excuse. I should had them turned them when I put pads in, or just tossed them into scrap then.

Steve that priority list is what got me in trouble here haha. Redee also needed a brake job Jan 2019, and was in MUCH worse shape. (Pic of Redee’s brakes to justify my procrastination).

Talked to Matt today, his 4th gen is still braking like a champ, and no fluid loss since I tightened up the hard line to flex line union a few days ago.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Over a week without any wrenching, but my mind has been working.

Redee runs hot offroad, 225 F even while not workin’ all that hard. I suspect my e-fan is under performing.

I’ve been pondering and have come up with a couple solutions. One idea involves replacing the current 16” e-fan of unknown age & origin, with a new 16” e-fan. The other idea involves adding a 9” single/dual e-fan, on the pull side, in the bottom corner that doesn’t get much airflow at any speed.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

My 51 has dual 9″ fans pulling. It runs 180 no matter how hard or how long I drive, highway or in town. I can also dial it in to increase or decrease operation. I can take a closer look for model etc if you want some details. It also has a nice big aluminum rad.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thanks Steve, noted dual 9” pullers.

I’ve got no overheating troubles cruisin’ or haulin’ ass, as plenty of turbulent air gets rammed through the rad, but as soon as Redee’s flying brick shape slows down to 30km/h or less, the fan just can’t pull enough air.

I think the key combination of factors is the old mystery fan, and an excess of “stuff” blocking the rad; trans cooler, SmittyBilt bumper, frame cross member.

I’m torn between simply replacing what I have with a new fan, vs ordering the lot and chippin’ away at the install without waiting on UPS man again.

$80 will replace my current 16” with a new one.
    +$90 will add dual 9” and an install kit.

Still leakin ATF from PS gear. Still bumperless out back. Windshield still leaking from the A-piller hole. My to-do list is going the wrong way haha. Glad this is still fun.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I might have missed it – what kind of rad do you have in it?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Total mystery what kinda fan it has, but guaranteed from the 1990’s

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Is the rad the stock Yota rad or changes to Chevy with the engine swap?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Not the stock rad.
    The finned cooling section is roughly 20” x 20”, roughly 1.5-2” thick. Looks to be of high quality, and hardly any bent fins on it.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Have you tested the thermostat? You’re up to 30 pages now and I don’t want to go back and look – lol.

Those dual 9’s pulling should do the trick.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

If you install an adjustable (can’t remember the name) rheostat(?), like my 51 has you can adjust if the temp is running too hot.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thermostat is new, 180F. Great idea to add some variability to the auxiliary fans. Was gonna just do an illuminated On/off switch, I have a row of 4 un-used switches near the ignition. Not sure what PO used them for, but I just kept them to fill the holes already cut.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024