Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 8 posts - 601 through 608 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Question: what is “dog poop” the filter do it doesn’t piss everywhere? I hate getting my arm, floor or parts covered in dirty oil!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Anything can be dog pooped simply by using a plastic bag to protect one’s hands. It’s one of my favourite adverbs, describing the action of picking up in a “dog poop” manner.
    This 3rz oil filter is better than the 22re simply because it installs up wards as opposed to sideways. The flaw in the 3rz is that there’s easily 250 ml of oil in the hoses which lead to the oil filter housing, which drained as soon as the filter was cracked loose.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Worked on Redees cooling system last night. I unboxed and test fit the new HD rad, then decided it fit so well I sent the bolts home. This rad is gorgeous, 2” thick, all aluminum, and appears to be a perfect fit. Unfortunately it came with additional output bungs welded to the bottom, so Ill just loop a hose between them to close that bypass. In the future i could use it for hot water system, or reintroduce the rear heater…but Redee is a summer machine so rear heat not a priority.

Today I ordered new Upper and lower rad hoses because they looked original and kinda swollen. Last night when i pulled the old hoses I cleaned corrosion off the hose inlets to the motor. The upper hose will be a couple days to arrive, so Ill keep working elsewhere in cooling system. Perhaps the heater core plumbing. Basically I have all the hoses and bits I need, just have to rearrange and shorten them accordingly.
    Hopefully this system will be buttoned up this week.

I’ll move onto the power steering after. Really I just need to get the high pressure hose flared with the proper fitting for the first gen steering gear. Prolly just gonna harvest the fitting off the power steering hose I had mattered to the SBC power steering pump.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The new rad hoses and fuel filter have arrived at my local Davenports for pickup today, hopefully tonight I can throw them all in and keep plugging away on the cooling system.
    Last night i determined that my Princess auto flare kit is not strong enough to add a single male flare to the OEM Fuel hard line, so I’ll prolly just add an extra high-pressure hose clamp for redundancy (safety).

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Well I got the new fuel filter and rad hoses installed. The lower rad hose seems dangerously close to the fan, I suppose that’s where a shroud could act as a physical barrier.
    I still have to make the 3rz talk to my heater core, but that’ll be my next night in The Shop.
    I decided to keep the original flex fuel line into the fuel filter original, and add a small flare to a chunk of the donor trucks body hard line. This way should I need to remove the engine again in the future, I can separate a union on the inner fender, vs pulling in flex line off the inlet of the fuel filter. Saving myself a future headache.
    I have located the fuel return line on both Redee and the 3rz, just gotta connect then another night.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The boat from China arrived, and the supply chain delivered my MAF sensor adapter. Perhaps tonight I’ll mock it up, and figure out what kind of bracket I need to fabricate to mount it to the inner fender.

Tonight I’m also going to cut a couple inches off my fuel supply and return lines, so I can buy 10-15 ft of each diameter.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I spent last night watching a movie with me lady, so clearly nothing got done on Redee.

Today i bought some gasket paper for the MAF adapter, and enough 1/4” fuel hose to connect the fuel return line to the original hard lines on the firewall.

For the fuel supply line, I struck out at the local shop trying to buy 5/16” high pressure hose. When i got home from work I tore into my hose and tube stash, and located the 10ft roll of 5/16” hard line I bought to plumb the SBC back in 2018. Anyways, rather than replace the entire length of the rubber hose, I intend to extend an intermediate hard line (about 6” long) with a new section long enough to get my existing hose to the drivers side inner fender. Pretty hard to explain, but I’m $0 for a hard line as opposed to about $75 for new a new rubber hose.

Have to wait and see what I accomplish during my next shop session.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I started fitting in the cone filter, but got stuck between a fuse box and a rad hose. My options are too move the fuse box towards the firewall, or shim the air filter closer to the rad.
    My plan is to fab a spacer between the MAF sensor and adapter. Need about 1-2”

Viewing 8 posts - 601 through 608 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024