Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Mark, I don’t know for certain the origin of the motor, but I have hope it was bought new from a catalogue in 1994. The 2nd owner had bought and installed tons of catalogue parts, SmittyBilt bumpers, diamond plate armour, American racing rims and 33s, the 4.5″ lift etc, audio and alarm too.  Steve told me owner #2 was a wealthy med student with good taste for mini-trucks.  But Redee’s true powerplant origins are still a mystery.  But hooray for 4-bolt mains!!  Bring on some power adders!!  Boooooooooost!!!!

I still forsee a diesel swap somewhere in Redee’s future…prolly the winter after I get fed up of pumping gasoline every 200km (~estimated).  We’ll see how an Auto tranny treats me, never been a fan.  Any diesel swap will be backed by a manual trans.

Evan, there was never a doubt that airbox was coming out and apart, couldn’t risk the germs with young lungs around.  Good news for you, with the blower motor pulled, and the heater selector on Cold, you should be able to get a shop vac hose at least 50% of the way into the airbox to get those pieces of rattling debris out.  I hope what you may find is less yucky haha.

I finished replacing the last foam seal with help from my 4.5 y/o daughter, she’s so glad that there are “no more yucky poo poo germs in red truckee”.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Evan, speaking of doing it right the first time, Redee has a leaking windshield and I believe I have the best access at it now.  I’m not sure if its from a little rust in the frame or a break in the silicone somewhere.  I have a buddy who’s father does windshield repairs, hoping he can bring some opinions or experience in gauging the repair work.  The last time I tried to re-seal a windshield, it leaked twice as bad when I was done, so I’m ready to ask for help haha.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Waiting for a common free day for windshield repair has killed progress.  Not even a whisper of progress in tbe last month.  Not cool.

Think I need to start on a new task to build motovation again. Either gonna drop tbe gas tank, or pull some brakes apart tonight. Have to roll the dice and find out.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

No progress again. Started making the firewall NVH blanket, had a neighbour pop over long enough to distract me.  Hour later make my first cut, and its 8″ too short vertically. F#€k sakes!!!  Might as well have just stayed in the house last night.

tom, he didn’t bring beer with him did he?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Good guess. Rum and cokes.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

It’s not a day in the shop without swearing

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thanks guys. Feelin’ the encouragement here.

Made progress yesterday. Using old yucky NVH blanket as a template, I got the tile liner cut to shape. Then used the new liner as a template for carpet underpadding. Just need to glue the two pieces together, another day when it’s not so dang cold out.

That’s all for now. Small victories!!!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Tested my spray adhesive in joining the PVC to carpet underpadding on a few pieces of scrap with satisfactory results.  There is enough resistance to peeling, that I’m not worried the two pieces will separate under normal conditions.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Had a couple hours in the shop midday today, and got non-4Runner related tasks complete.

Got the power wheels, wagon and stroller packed away into the shed (out of the shop!!)  till spring time.

Found out the Taco will fit in the shop with less than 10cm to spare.  Good to know should another ice storm come our way.  Last winter I was able to get the Taco and Sams caravan inside before a crazy wind/freezing rain storm hit, but the bigrunner was parked in the backyard.

Anyways, with the extra crap out of the way, I got Little Trucky some overdue service.  Oil change, engine air filter, and zerks greased up. I bought frint brake pads 3 months ago, but there’s still life left on these original pads @ 108,000km.

Tomorrow I gotta do an oil change in Sams Focus.  Perhaps afterwards I’ll make another attempt to glue that damn blanket together.

little by little $h!t gets done eh tom?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Oh for sure Mark.  Feels good to make some progress wherever I get it.

I still have to arrange with my buddy to seal up the windshield. I wanna get it resealed before I put the dash back together just in case there’s some grinding or excessive scraping required.

Hoping Santa brings me T-100 brake calipers, master & booster.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Chalked up another small victory last night. Got the two layers of the NVH blanket glued together and put under some weight to help curing.

Think I’m gonna put a dozen zip ties around the perimeter to prevent the edges from peeling apart. I’ve been trying to find where to buy a “plug or post” style zip tie.  Something that resembles an anti-theft tag for clothing, only need to poke one hole in the corner, rather than “stitching” the two together.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

My girlies helped me put a couple rivets in the corners of the NVH firewall blanket. With exception to cutting out one slotted hole that I missed (traced, cut out pvc but not underpadding), and test fitting and installing, this task is complete!

Next I need to make a couple patch plates for the firewall. One where the clutch master cylinder used to come through for mating to the pedal, a second patch plate to cover up an access hole for one the bellhousing bolts. Not gonna get too fancy here at all, can’t risk it taking 6-weeks to complete.

Gotta call my windshield buddy again, really hope to get it sealed up before I reassemble my dash. I really Don’t want old silicone rattling around in the dash after I can guarantee right now I’m rattle free (but only because I’m dash-free).  Fingers crossed for an inexpensive repair.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey guys, I found an ARB air compressor on kijiji, looking for some feedback if it’ll suit my needs. Jotted below are my current ideas for Redee’s uses for the compressor.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/muskoka/arb-air-compressor-brand-new-still-in-the-box/1397336782?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1. Rear Air locker (already installed)

2. Front locker (eventually)

3. Filling tires (beach toys, air mattress)

4. Air assisted rear shocks

5. Pressurize a water tank so it doesn’t have to be gravity fed.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024