Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Buddy James and I couldn’t get our schedules to align, so I dug into it myself today.  Working slowly and carefully, managed to add in that ebay resistor, and bench test the results.  All worked out so far, just need to fire up the motor, and dial in my calibration to match the FiTech readout!  Eff yes this is gonna be awesome.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Steve, hope I don’t have that fusing trouble in 16,000km….already dreading that haha.

Nothing new with Redee.

My neighbour sold his blring but reliable Subaru, and I’m driving him around this coming Tuesday to pay the dealer, and deliver his 4th Gen to Brian and the boys at Lakeside Auto for a safety.  I figure it’ll need rear brakes, wheel speed sensors, CV boots and a timing belt inspection while it’s there.   Overall very clean for an ‘03 with 170,000km.

Small lift, TRD rims and Duratracs are on his wishlist.  Something like the 2” Fox and either 265/70 or 285/70 Tires.

I told my Dad I’m getting my M-license this year, and he’s bought himself a used bike already.  All I have to do, go pick it up from my buddy (Brian @ Lakeside), replace the ignition, and then whatever else was broken when it hit the ground hard two or three years ago.  Gonna be tons of fun.  Already excited for the next batch of toys to make their way through the shop.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

As it sits on the lot.

2” lift and 33” (285/70-17?? Duratracs) from the internet.  Stage 1 look my buddy is seeking.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

“toy-n-yotas”,
    the issue with multiple picture uploads could be plugin restriction after an update.
    (not sure about it because you had the issue and we updated the plugin to fix the uploads)
    it can also be a timeout issue or a simple disconnect from WiFi.
    would you know the last time this had worked without any failure?
    not sure, is everybody has this multiple image upload issue?
    anyway, most of your failed uploads with multiple images end up in “pending” status, not approved.
    please send another message the next time fails to upload and do not attempt to re-upload several times.
    let’s see where we end up with new information.

webmaster

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Webmaster.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

@Webmaster thanks for diggin’ into the upload issue.  I will be sure to only submit one time, the next time I have a failure.  I will send you a PM.

This issue occurs anytime I try to attach more than one picture.  Perhaps it’s more than two pictures. But I can upload straight text without any drama.

Check the Build Thread “My First Landcruiser” as Evan has been having upload troubles of late.

I FIRST encountered troubles roughly Dec 18-20th.  I have been using the same iphone, iOS, wifi, internet provider and uploading from the same physical location since the start of this thread.  The first issue came up on page 20, roughly Christmas timing.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice score with that 4Runner!  I’d love to have a V8!

There was a guy with a newer TRD Off Road 4Runner at our winter run.  He didn’t have any issues with the first obstacle that the jeeps were struggling with (mainly due to experience).

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

My buddy Matt is pretty happy with the 4Runner so far, only drove it about 75km from Bradford to Wasaga.  The V8 is a very welcome change from a 2.something n/a boxer engine and cvt.  His Suby could be summed up with two words.  Safe.  Boring.

The 4Runner Had an engine light turn on about 10-mins into the drive, but Brian and the boys will check it out. Hopefully its just a misfire or something stupid cause it sat a long time (3-weeks since we test drove it, maybe longer) with hardly any gas in it.  We asked Brian to certify it, and check out the troubles I spotted on the dealer lot. Got it lined up for CV boots, rear brakes (maybe fronts too), wheel speed sensors and an inspection of the timing belt.  I did not get to lift the front end for steering/suspension, but it was pretty stable on the drives.

Matt is looking into Bilstein 5100 all around, 2” springs for rear, Duratracs on TRD beadlock rims, and some side steps. Got some shop nights to look forward to.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Cool!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Decided to not let January slip by without tackling my powersteering gear!

Partial disassembly, perfect.

Outside refurbishment, scuffing, thread cleaning, perfect.

O-rings and vinyl seals swapped out with rebuild kit, perfect.

Assembly, slow and steady, wtf?  Why won’t this gear sit fully?  A 2 mm gap at the mating surfaces.   Remove the sector shaft again, looks fine.  Remove the worm gear shaft again, FRIGGEN CHAOS!!!!

All 40 ball bearings from the worm gear shaft out of place.  Totally F***ED!  3-more hours in attempt to get it all back, final bench test the gearbox rotated CCW smooth as a baby’s bottom.  CW it jammed solid. Since Redee is not NASCAR edition, and I may have to turn right at some point in time, I’m tapping out!  Gonna spend too much $$ on a rebuilt unit from RockAuto.  A few choices out there, roughly $300 after tax/shipping after core charge returned.  That’s not bad for a safety item.   Just really wish those MF ballbearings hadn’t displaced themselves, an expensive slip.

No pictures. Was too greasy in ATF, then much too mad pickin’ nearly microscopic BBs off the workbench.

Funny, cause I put 37 of the BB in a ziplock bag to send in with my core, reassembled the steering gear with 3 BBs, and it works pretty well.  Just not well enough at 100km/h…. or at 5km/h in “No Exit” land where she likes to play.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Ah, that sucks!  Expensive part, but OEM would likely be 3 times that.

My AC compressor is shot and that’s a $300 part too at RockAuto.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I have an IFS box you can have!!!!

well $h!t!!! that blows chunks tom. looks like evan can hook you up with the required part. might be worth the drive to waterdown.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I have another friend that lives in Shelburne who works in Burlington a few times a week, maybe I’ll see if I can give it him!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Evan, I really appreciate the part and potential delivery service!

As per some RockAuto investigation, the steering gear Evan has is a newer version, even has a grease nipple for servicing.

looks like the Toyota guys re-designed the input shaft “worm gear shaft” and how it attaches to the rest of the housing.  Evan and I both have confidence that these units are interchangeable since they were introduced mid-model year to both I4 / V6 vehicles.  Hooray for an upgrade.

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”></span>

Seriously Evan, thanks a bunch in advance.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Score!

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024