Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

My buddy James is gonna stop over tonight to solder in that variable resistor for the tach mod!!  Sweeeet!!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Buddy James and I couldn’t get our schedules to align, so I dug into it myself today.  Working slowly and carefully, managed to add in that ebay resistor, and bench test the results.  All worked out so far, just need to fire up the motor, and dial in my calibration to match the FiTech readout!  Eff yes this is gonna be awesome.

so, whens the new sheet metal goin’ on tom?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hopefully have the fenders hung before the spring M&G, but it’s under a couple other items on To-do list.  Pretty sure it’ll get tackled in a Windshield / Fender / diamond plate delete trifecta in the spring.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The pigtail I soldered onto the tach with a 5k-ohm resistor attached.   I’d test it out, but neither the  cooling nor PS systems are closed loops as they are intended to be.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Made my third trip to my local parts store for an upper rad hose, finally I’m content with the inner diameter and S-bend, however I still might have to cut it down to size.  I was hoping to get away from a 3-piece upper rad hose, but the location of the rad inlet and alternator make it incredibly difficult to find a direct fit.

Did my first oil change in Sam’s caravan.  Friggen chrysler out an easy to change oil filter cartridge, in an impossible to reach location!!  Fuckers!!  Why bother redeisgning the oil filter, the old motor had a spin on filter right beside the drain plug.  It’s not like going to this handy top-loading cartridge saves you from laying on your back, the drain plug is still under there. Best yet, the filter cartridge goes into a molded plastic housing, that’s sure to break given enough heat cycles.  Friggen unbelievable waste of time.   Rant over. Fuck Chrysler.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Wow, that oil filter really got me fired up.  But it wasn’t just the stupid plastic filter box with a 24mm hex head, or the continuous dripping of road grime onto me, or the 5.6L capacity which means buying two jugs, and spec of 0W20 meant I had none at home already. It had been a long day. I meant to write F*** Chrysler. Ah, now I feel better

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

LOL.  Although I agree with your sentiment and rant, Toyotas also have that cartridge filter their cars (since 2009?). My 09 Taco still has the old style, but I think my new one is cartridge…

When I tried to do the oil change on my daughter’s Corolla, the thing was torqued to about 300Nm (about 270Nm over spec).  I couldn’t budge it – had to take it to the dealer, which they loosened for free.  Next change, even after I made sure it wasn’t over-torqued, I still couldn’t get it off…..  They tighten up after heat cycles…  At least it was accessible.

Also, all Toyotas are 0w20 and my 09 Taco is also the larger capacity – Minute Lube charges me MORE than Toyota dealership for oil changes because of this… Only made that mistake once!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Steve, hope I don’t have that fusing trouble in 16,000km….already dreading that haha.

Nothing new with Redee.

My neighbour sold his boring but reliable Subaru, and I’m driving him around this coming Tuesday to pay the dealer, and deliver his 4th Gen to Brian and the boys at Lakeside Auto for a safety.  I figure it’ll need rear brakes, wheel speed sensors, CV boots and a timing belt inspection while it’s there.   Overall very clean for an ‘03 with 170,000km.

Small lift, TRD rims and Duratracs are on his wishlist.  Something like the 2” Fox and either 265/70 or 285/70 Tires.

I told my Dad I’m getting my M-license this year, and he’s bought himself a used bike already.  All I have to do, go pick it up from my buddy (Brian @ Lakeside), replace the ignition, and then whatever else was broken when it hit the ground hard two or three years ago.  Gonna be tons of fun.  Already excited for the next batch of toys to make their way through the shop.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Motorcycles are fun! I always have 4 – 6 sitting around in various stages of rebuild…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’ve rebuilt and sold more dirtbikes and street machines than I’ve actually ridden.  I avoid riding some because I’m afraid to “like them too much”.  In winter 2018 I rebuilt a 2007 Suzuki RM-Z 250, with a big bore kit making it a 277.   It also had an aluminum frame and some trick pieces that my 2006 RM-Z 250 does not have. I did not want to enjoy the lighter/stiffer aluminum frame and big bore kit compared to my older bike, so I never rode it.  Let my neighbour (and business partner) get spoiled with that bike.

Think my dad bought a 1999 Katana 750, his plan to ship it to Barbados where my parents spend a few months of the year.

Back on Redee.  Don’t know what came over me today, but I made some progress under the hood.  I finished making an Upper rad hose, and installed the new thermostat housing.  Afterwards I pulled the old mechanical gauge senders for Water Temp and Oil Pressure, replacing both with the conversion pieces to get OEM Toyota gauge senders installed.  The oil pressure was a pain, and I’m afraid it might leak (again), but I can’t tell until I fire her up. I ran wires across the firewall, but stopped there for the day. Next step would be to finish running the wires across the firewall and to the connector in the lower passenger footwell.  Think I’ll grab a length of wire looming to keep it tidy.

Pictures in the next post.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sorry, forum says £¥€% you pictures.  3-failed attempts is all I got.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by toys-n-yotas. Reason: Pictures said Eff U
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024