Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Doesn’t look like much, but I got another hour of work completed on the donor dashboard. I’d say 75% of the connectors have been identified and freed up. Gotta pull the HVAC system and drop the steering column to free up the rest of the connectors.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yesterday I got the rest of the HVAC outta my way so I could free the interior wiring harness.

I also confirmed that the 15” rims the donor came on have the proper backspacing for Redee. They are 15” x 7” with 4” BS, so I’ll be able to rock that awesome pizza cutter stance I’ve beeb seeking out, and won’t need the 2” flares to keep me legal. Once my Duratracs sell (posted on kijiji yesterday), I’ll buy a set of 33”x10.5×15 General Grabber X3. The tallest tire I can buy for 15’s which are not KO2s.

Had a chat with Finn on his trip to Ardbeg, and the Knarr may offer up some parts to Redee.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/mississauga-peel-region/33-duratracs-like-new-on-rims/1618435575

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Probably not what you’re after, but remember the 255/85r16 that I had on the landcruiser. They would be cool too but wrong wheel diameter.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’d be down to run that tire size, just gotta find rims with 4” backspacing. Only reason I’m sticking with 15’s is that I already have a set (two sets) of rims with proper spacing. I have a set of OEM 17s from my Tacoma, but with 5” BS they don’t clear the UCA or Tie rods. I do not want to run wheel spacers, and the 17s aren’t that cool anyways.

Still trying to sell my Duratracs, know anybody with a mini truck who’s interested?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Redee’s new heart is hanging from the hoist, waiting on some refresh parts before starting the process of transplanting.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Nice! Looking good

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

That 2.7L and 5 speed manual should be fine with 33’s. My 09 Taco ran with that setup for 10 years with no issues and the stock gearing was fine. Does Reddee have a higher ratio?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Redee has factory 4.10s with an air locker in the rear. I have a full set of 4.56s on the shop floor, but both F/R are open. Torn between +10% torque vs -50% traction. In my estimated 5,000kms of touring, I’ve used that air locker once or twice, it seems a little unreliable at times. I feel like a lunchbox would be fine, and with exception to Ardbeg (once) and No Winter roads (a 20M section here or there) the open diff would be more than adequate.

I’m gonna keep 33s, but long range plan is to go much skinnier. 33×12.5 now, ideal is a 33×10 mud terrain. I will run these Duratracs out though, my attempts at selling them only yielded frustration.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

One small step towards 3RZ, one giant leap towards bangin’ gears!

I made a youtube vid, and posted the SBC on kijiji with the video, and have an interested buyer who expressed interest to come tonight. Fingers crossed Scott likes what he sees, and we come to an agreenent.

I really want to start spending 3RZ swap money, and turn some wrenches.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Good luck!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Typical kijiji no-show, waited all weekend to host nobody.

I’ve decided to go ahead and start pulling the drivetrain, gonna start at the rear diff and work forwards till the trans is out. Decided, but no action yet.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night on Redee I did a thing, technically 3 things.

First and least exciting is that I cleared the space under Redee so I can physically fit under and start working.

Second order of business was spraying the driveline hardware in PB Blaster to start the soaking process.

Thirdly, and actually exciting, I swapped the bellhousings on the W56 trans for the 3RZ. I gotta look up torque specs, but otherwise I completed my first task!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I realized that I need to make shorter goals to get myself motivated (less overwhelmed perhaps), more of a week-by-week task list. This week my goal is to have the old drivetrain (trans/tcase/driveshFts) ready to come out. I dont know fir certain that it’ll come out with the engine in place, but I’ll find out soon enough. Last night I got the rear driveshaft out, and sprayed tons of bolts in PB blaster.
    I think for tonight my plan is to pull the interior trim, and fill plates for the auto shifter and bellhousing bolts.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I’ve found marketplace to be a little better because it’s not as elusive as kijiji. generally on marketplace, you’re dealing with a person, with a name. You can see if they’ve been on FB for 2 days and just looking to scam…

I gave up on Kijiji, except when I was trying to get rid of a rooster… marketplace wouldn’t allow me to post the add for a rooster…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’ve heard plenty of good reviews of facebook marketplace, but I quit that group more than 10 years ago and have no intention of returning. Too many headaches from less than reputable former social connections.

Mother Nature interfered with my Shop time last night. 2-hours on the snow blower, finally inside to put the kids to bed about 9pm, and that was all she wrote for Wednesday haha. Tonight is a new opportunity, same plan

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024