Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Haha yup the lazy man special. Traded out the 10” flathead for a 24” HD truck tire spoon haha

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Redee didn’t go too far last year, lotsa small troubles continued to add up to my frustration, and choice to take Truckee instead.
    -Redee was always running hotter than I’d like, I suspect the rad is due for replacement.
    -Redee was always a bitch to start, usually requiring some manual clocking of the flexplate. The flexplate is chewed up with a dozen missing teeth and the generic starter bolts allowed it to pivot away too easily. Proper knurled bolts and a new flexplate are the only solution
    -ATF puddles from the steering box, again replacement is the only solution
    -The pass side exhaust manifold has a crazy leak between two cylinders, unfortunately its from the runner and not the gasket. Again, I think replacement is required.
    -the windshield still leaks, so I keep Redee parked indoors to preserve the floors. Body work is not my specialty, so I’ll outsource this.
    -The floors and frame are starting to surface rust, so I will convert and seal it up before I’m dealing with holes

This ever growing list is enough for me to keep Redee off the road for 2022, and focus on making her better as opposed to just limping along.

And since 1/2 my problems are Chevy problems, I’m hoping to obsolete that powertrain this year as well with a 2RZ or 3RZ setup. Both motors are from a 1996-05 Taco, one being 2.4L the latter being 2.7L. I’m not set on one or the other yet, but wait until I decide on N/A or turbo. The 2.4L should turbo better with a lower compression ratio, and a lack of chain driven counterbalance shafts. Either motor will bolt directly to my W56 trans (on the shop floor) and be a huge improvement over the 22RE Redee once sported. I’ve decided Redee will be better driven with 4-cyl as oppsed to being parked with a V8….and manual trumps Automatic everytime.

Here’s to 2022 and making Redee better.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

We forget these trucks are old now sometimes, they require attention. Once you give it a solid year of work though it’ll be good for a long time.

I like the 4 cyl idea. It’s possible that a 5vz is cheaper and easier to find than a 3rz if you wanted to do a v6. I like the 3rz though too

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’m hoping that by stating my commitment out loud to myself, my wife and the internet will really help me stick with it. These trucks ARE old (older than me) and are getting harder and harder to find. I don’t want to have to look for another in 5-10 years time, or pay for it.

As for the V6, I seriously considered that route Evan, especially because I’ve never heard of anybody actually say bad things about their 3.4L motor, and the trans is a little beefier than the W56. but I would have to cobble together parts from a few trucks to get it done. Most of the Tacos and 4Runners use a Left Hand Drop t-case behind the trans, and my first Gen uses a RHD tcase. I could use the stock trans from a 3VZ (3.slow V6) and chain driven T-case and acheive the RHD I need, but now I’ve gotta harvest from two old trucks instead of one newer truck. And I’m still dealing with cramming a V-block under the hood. And, I’ve already got a V6 at home in the Taco, it’s just not as much fun as a 4-cyl to wind out and beat on haha. I’m looking for fun, and a big jump in fuel economy. I know 4.10s and 33s are not great on the lil 4-cylinders, which is why I’m keeping a low pressure turbo system in the back of my mind. Bump 150hp up to 225-250 with 5-10 psi of boost, and have the best of both worlds. Efficient 4-cyl, with some power on tap with the flick of a switch (or twist of a dial). Only shitty part would be premium gas…..

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Well I love the idea, seems like a donor truck might be in your future

FJTTSE
    Keymaster

I may know someone with a 5VZ-FE, might even be a standard, wink wink. Would you give it any consideration?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by FJTTSE.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear Redee is off the road. Understand completely though.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Kev, I’d definitely entertain the conversation of a 5VZ donor, the reliability and power output alone have earned their consideration in Redee. This donor you may know of, what’s the original host vehicle? Does it have a Left hand drop or right hand drop t-case?

I’m already a little bummed out that Redee sit this year, buuut the wait’ll be worth it. And hopefully my bike will fill that fun void I’ll be feeling.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Well I did it! I jumped on a 3RZ donor truck, and dragged it home ASAP. The couple was sad to depart with a family member, but happy to hear she’ll live on in another Toyota.

I grabbed a 1996 4Runner, with the 2.7L and 5-speed manual I’ve been chewing on retrofitting into Redee for a couple years. The body and frame are both pretty rough, but the engine fired up instantly and idled so smoothly. Only 271,000km on the odo, so she’s barely broken in.

Not too sure on my plan of attack just yet, but I def have to free up a stuck caliper (yank the pads out) so I can move the 4Runner on my driveway. 3 of 4 tires roll with much drag, but one refused to break loose. Currently it’s blocking the bay door so James’ FJ can’t get out.

Should I start by yanking the Chevy outta Redee, or the 3RZ outta the donor?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

If it was me: I’d yank the engine and trans out of the donor, the full harness and everything else you think you might need. Snag all the parts and peices that can be sold and put them for sale right away (taillights, cv axles axle, wheels tires etc.)

Then get the body and frame out of your way and off to scrap so you and the family don’t have to look at it.
    Then work on Redee.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thats a solid plan, I gotta locate an engine hoist to borrow. I think a buddy in Dundalk has one, I borrowed it almost 10-years ago when I put a clutch into my ‘87 4Runner.

Today I’m gonna start at the 4Runner, trying to take an inventory of what’s good or not. I know the hatches have value, but I havent gotten this one to open yet. Big plan for the day is to get the driver side front caliper off so I can reposition the truck in the driveway.

Evan, send me a list of parts you’d be interested in from this donor. I know it has 4.10 gears, open diffs, and manual everything (locks, windows, mirrors).

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Got the rear hatch open! James pulled the exterior latch, I gave it a kick from the inside, and presto, open.

I pulled the front left brake caliper off, and the wheel still would not turn, telling me the wheel bearing has failed and seized solid. Anyways, I tried to pinch off the brake line, and it disintegrated, so it’s just an open system now.

With the caliper off, I was able to reposition the donor in the driveway. 4-Low, first gear, a little clutch riding and she drove like a charm. That wheelbearing even freed up just a little.

That’s all for today, small victory.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

nice score!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Forward progress, nice! That’s awesome

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Progress is slow, literally only put an hour of effort in the last two weeks. The kids are busy, so as am I.

I got the lower half of the dash out, doing my best to label all the connections as it should make obsoleting them from the harness a lot easier later.

Hoping I can get a little more time to finish pulling the dash before the week is over.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024