Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night I got the interior trim and all the switch wires removed and pushed out of the way. I then removed the B&M slap shifter, and the custom mounting plate.

I tried to unthread the t-case shifter handle, but it appears to be welded together. I’m just gonna have to live with it, perhaps someday I’ll put in a twin stick and can obsolete the ghetto handle.

There’s only two dozen bolts holding the trans and t-case in place, hoping to get them taken care of this weekend.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I started out last night with the best of intentions to disconnect the trans from the engine…. But a call from inside to help with bedtime killed my momentum…but alas I returned an hour or two later to continue, only to be distracted with a couple frosty beers. My summary of activity concluded at ONE bellhousing bolt broken loose…that is all haha. I also located the original handle from the B&M slap shifter, just gotta take some pictures and create the kijiji ad.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hard fought night in the shop. I got the front driveshaft disconnected from the front diff, the 8 cross member bolts broken loose, and all 8 bellhousings bolts out. The only connection point between engine and trans is the torque converter. I also have to separate and cap the trans cooler hoses. Not bad for a nights work. Those damn bellhousing bolts were so difficult, literally 1/8 a turn at a time, flipping the wrench to get adequate sweep. More than 2 hours on 4 of 8 bolts there.

Matt helped me to take the hood off Redee to make engine yanking possible.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Been multi tasking at work today trying to determine OEM part numbers for seals and gaskets I require in the W56 tranny and RF1A tcase before I stuff them into Redee. I’ve been using Toyodiy for parts lists that are catered directly to my VIN #, and Toyota parts direct for assembly drawings. The former has no images, the latter source has multiple listings for each part despite having put my VIN directly into the website. Annoying to cross reference on an iphone.

Ive got a dealer only parts list on the go, will visit Hallmark Toyota tomorrow and order (or try to) the list.

Will try to make progress in The Shop tonight, kijiji guy has ghosted me

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I have a hard time staying motivated to do anything when it’s dark by dinner time…

I found Marketplace to work better than Kijiji when I first joined in 2020, but the same thing seems to be happening there now too. You get 20 people asking “Is this still available”? then nothing…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I dont get To start in the shop until after dinner time, hard to keep some reserve energy for all this work.

Today i ordered $275 of dealership parts. Gaskets, oil seals and ten torque to yield flywheel bolts at $10.41 each.

Tomorrow I will bring my flywheel to Ideal Supply to be resurfaced for About $125. My other options are to buy a new aftermarket flywheel online for $85 + 70 shipping, locally for $165, or a new OEM for $800. Thinking that resurfacing my $800 oem is the best bet.

Tonight I’m Hoping to get my engine hoist aligned through the hole in the trans tunnel, so I can use it to lower the bell housing of the auto and use the floor Jack under the crossmember. I don’t want to use the floor Jack exclusively as there trans and tcase are hard to balance, nearly dropped the W59 out of the donor 4Runner.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

My plan worked like a charm, I had the drivetrain nearly out when I decided it was best to get a second set of hands. So during the 2nd intermission of the Bruins v Leaf game, Matt popped over and worked the floor Jack.

Freakin’ thrilled to get that auto out!!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Ohhhhhh yea baby! Managed to squeeze the SBC out of Redee last night after a handful of hours wrenching. I started my day earlier than usual at about 2 pm, disconnected the fuel lines, the power steering lines, removed the front bumper and grill, drained and removed the rad and E-fans, unbolted engine mounts and lastly cut through the exhaust. The motor was out at 9pm. The shop is a disaster with parts and spilt fluids everywhere, but the Chevy Is out!! Very excited, I hope it’s being picked up on haha

Thanks to James and Matt, each provided some critical help to cross this hurdle.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sunday in the shop allowed me to sweep the floor and regain floor space for upcoming work.

I also had another Kijiji fellow express interest and make an offer which I accepted. Time will tell if he shows up or not.

I have a rock auto shopping cart pegged at $1,543 all-in. Hoping to reduce the final bill by getting some parts locally to save shipping.

I was texting @Finn yesterday to discuss 4.88 gears, I’ve agreed to purchase a set off him, but I can’t make it out to Woodstock till early March. I gotta make my game plan around those dates, so Im ready to install the diffs then the powertrain afterwards. Ive got plenty of work to do still, but I gotta make small steps to keep this momentum.

Thinking that I’ll switch gears briefly to replacing seals and gaskets on the trans and tcase, followed by front diff removal, followed by preservation efforts (rust conversion, paint, undercoating) while I have nearly unlimited access to the underside of Redee.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Small victory last night separating the RF1A transfer case from the Advanced Adapter unit. 6 M8 bolts, and a little wiggle set her free from 25 years of mating. No picture, but a victory all the same.

A couple pictures that James captured from Saturdays wrench-a-thon.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Made some midday progress on the W56 transmission, I thoroughly cleaned then replaced the trans front and rear seals, and the balloting and throw out bearing fork. I stink like varsol, but feel much better having swapped out those two seals.
    Next up is the t-case rear output seal that I saw was weeping, but that’ll be after dinner when I get back out to play.
    Maybe I’ll attempt to remove the front differential tonight as well, we’ll see how much snack strength I acquire.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I got back out into the shop last night, but I didn’t give it my all haha. I put two hours into replacing the rear seal on the Tcase, and clearing a blockage from a grease fitting. While I had great access to the front drive shaft, I hit the 5 zerks but one just splooged grease all over the nipple. Picks, mechanics wire, PB blaster and compressed air finally broke up the blockage, and I filled the U-joint.

Afterwards I tidied and chilled with Matt getting no further work completed.

This week I hope to do the front diff, and start welding front body mounts and Centre tunnel patch panels.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’m scrounging around the shop for steel to repair my front body mounts, but have either come up too thin, or way too thick. I will keep searching cause I’m sure I have the winner somewhere, otherwise I’ll pop into Hunter Steel across from work and try to buy some offcuts.

See below my two main areas of concern. I’m glad the repair won’t have to be pretty as the bumper will cover it up when it’s all completed.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024