Select Page

The 98’ Tacoma build

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 98’ Tacoma build

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Glad to see you got your fuel leak sorted out. A few injector troubles now eh? I thought you had to replace O-rings a few weeks back.

I like that DRL feature on those spot lights, looks real classy.

With your mechanical repairs and a good wash & wax I’m sure you could make a good pocket full of profit on that Ranger. The kinda vehicle that’s going up in value as they’re hard to replace with an equivalent. Everything new is VERY BIG in comparison. Good luck buddy

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah I replaced the fuel filter and all the injectors already, and now the o rings went. Fixed it up though seems to be all good. I sold the ranger already last week. Made a decent profit on it which is nice.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Good job on that Ranger.
    Are you interested in any parts on my donor 4Runner?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I might be interested in something. The two things I can think of are the rack and pinion and the front axles.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’ll do my best to pull those parts after the motor is out

Toy-Yota
    Participant

So the truck did pretty well the first time out. Here’s some updates. I installed a brake controller which works well. I did order and install the SPC upper control arms and I put in some Swayaway coilovers which are really nice. My rad started leaking when we got to camp so I filled it with stop leak. I’ll have to order a new rad I guess and throw that in. Along with building a skid plate for it to protect it. I also added an ICON add a lead and some Timbrens bump stops out back.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Glad the Taco tows well, shitty deal on the rad. A little strain and heat called out a weak link eh.

Your fuelling troubles all sorted out?

This Taco proving a worthy setup for you yet? I remember your buddies were into touring more and krawling less. Does the Taco tour on par?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Seems like I have all the fueling issues sorted out. I swapped the rad and put the pink coolant in, someone told me long ago that Toyotas like the red stuff so that’s what I always use.

I’ve had a constant small issues with this truck to be honest, on the way home from the last trip the exhaust cracked and then totally broke in two. Nothing too major though, I’ll weld it back together and eventually redo the exhaust because the previous owner was a crap welder and cobbled it all together.

All part of the fun I guess, it tours well. The extended cab works well for us because our clothes and stuff goes in the cab and the rest of our stuff in the cap. It works well to have a pickup to be honest. The truck itself is definitely not as capable as the landcruiser or my 4runner. I need a rear locker in this thing. As much as we do more touring, I want it to be able to work in the rocks when I want it to. And I find with a rear locker I don’t put it in 4wd on many of the trails we run until I need it.

Some pics from my wife and I this last weekend.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Glad the Taco is working well for your adventures. It’d suck to realize an SUV is where you really wannabe.

I’n really admiring the capability and versatility of your trailers. Having dragged my crappy one to Ardbeg a couple times, I can appreciate how much better built yours must be haha. I’m contemplating a better trailer so I can haul more than one ATV at a time. But my wife has expressed (more than once) the desire to go camping again, but conditional on having a real bed to sleep in. So a trailer of other sorts seems likely to be in my future. Doesn’t at all help my ability to haul more toys to the woods haha.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Stumbled across an interesting kijiji ad, good luck feelin’ out the market 👍🏽

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah we’ll see how it goes, no real bites on it yet I’m asking Too much money.

Sounds like a pop up toy hauler is in your future. Like a fleetwood evo or jayco baja. They have a lot of tongue weight though, that can be an issue when your tow vehicle is a tacoma though.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

If you need to sweeten the deal on your truck, let the buyer know you have a spare trans/tcase, cvs, steering rack, headlights and some odds & ends.

I doubt I’ll get a toy hauler, might just keep the adventures separate. Bring a pop-up with the family, another weekend bring some atvs and a tent.

Both my big kids told me they wanna go camping in Redee next year, so they clearly won’t miss running water and a soft bed haha. Looking forward to it already.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I can’t wait for your to get ready running. And I’m excited To hear about the wiring part of the build that always seems the most daunting to me.

Once I’m done Work for the season and back from vacay I’ll shoot up to your place with some beer and grab those parts from you!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

As for wiring, I found a pretty good reference on a forum, seems pretty straightforward. I can thin out 85% of the harness I pulled out of the donor since it’s mostly a body harness.

Spares for beers sounds good to me. The trans/tcase are under a tarp outside, everything else in a tote in the shop. No rush, enjoy the vacay with your wife!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Carryover from the other thread….
    Are you thinking of putting lockers into the Taco? Or weighing out the options for a replacement?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024