Select Page

The 98’ Tacoma build

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 98’ Tacoma build

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Looks good buddy. Gonna lay out some tri-colour stripes to match the bedsides?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I thought about it and decided not to. I think it might be too much

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Switching to spring work, taking off snow tires on everything.
    Took the air shocks off the back of the Tacoma it road like garbage. I put on some rancho RS5000x, not the best but it’s just temporary.
    Torn on what to do for the front, I can get proper coilovers but they’re really expensive (2000-3000) and I’m doubtful they’ll really ride that much better than some new Bilsteins or ranchos for like 600 bucks.
    On road ride quality I don’t really care about too much, and Offroad it’s just slow crawling not desert racing. So I just don’t know if I’m trady to spend that much money. I already got $1000 adjustable upper control arms so I think spending 4K total on the front is stupid. At that point I’d think about selling my uppers, and doing a sas on leafs LOL

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I found 5100s to ride well in Redee, and Matt is liking his 5100s in the 4th gen. He says they ride WAY BETTER than the X-REAS system that came stock (and appeared to be original 17 years later). He got lift springs and UCA to make it all fit, something like 3-4” lift with no additional weight.

Hard to justify $3000+ for front setup just on components. I agree, SAS better use of that cash, would take more abuse.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I think I’ve narrowed down my goals, I have the SPC upper control arms to go on, I’m going to get some Bilstein or rancho coilovers to lift it up another inch because the struts on there are worn out, and I’m going To stick a locker in the back. And call it good. That will keep me happy for a while I think. The truck 100 percent needs a locker though, the thing gets stuck on wet grass…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sounds like a solid plan. The stiff rear lift springs and light rear end prolly ruining your traction. What kinda locker options you have?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I’m open To suggestions but I don’t think I’m going to fork out the money for a selectable unless I can find an elocker used. Probably a Detroit, lock right, or spartan ratcheting locker. I’ll probably wait for a deal on something

Toy-Yota
    Participant
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Damn, you really put that truck to work eh? What’d you have for rear suspension? Barely looks squatted

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Nothin, factory springs. The trailers had weight at the back taking away tongue weight.

Flexed out the 99 today too after I moved around some brush and dirt at the house with the bobcat

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Took the skis out the other day! Also went to BC for a wedding and saw some cool rigs, love it out there.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

How’d the skis run this year? How cold was the lake?

I’m really diggin’ the box on that blue first gen.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Lake Erie was 49 degrees it was very cold. But the air was warm which was nice. It’s run good so far, threw some new plugs in it and they looked good.
    Also just did an air filter and cabin filter on my corolla along with oil and filter. I have new brakes to go on it as well with 165k km on it right now.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Got this from my wife’s side of the family, they were going to scrap it so I gave her uncle scrap price for it and fixed a fuel leak coming from the fuel filter. Best case scenario east quick fix and flip. I did pretty well on it, it only had 149k miles on it (US truck)

Just picked up these lights, and found a Fuel leak on the Tacoma too. Leaking injector oring so I have to swap that out once they show up at the dealer.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

The truck smelled like fuel and I couldn’t see it dripping. Turns out it was leaking from injector 1, and then getting burned off as it dripped down the block. The oring was ripped in half and so was the insulator, ordered them from Toyota and swapped them out today in half an hour. Seems to be dry, because that went so well I decided to wire the light sup and plumb all the wires, they have a day time running light feature too that I wired to the head lights.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024