Select Page

The 98’ Tacoma build

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS The 98’ Tacoma build

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

I think Im OCD once I get something in my head I have to do it. Also not working much right now so I’m trying To go hard and get it ready before spring.

Very true about the fairlead I have to cut out the space for that still, I forgot to do it before I painted it.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Toy-Yota.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice looking rig!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks Slick! Here’s an update of what’s going on:
    The ass that sold me the truck told me he had a tailgate and then backed out on that deal. He flat out lied about a few other things on the truck. He patched the roof after he took that roof bar off, and he used only silicon only and it all just fell through and then leaked inside. I’m not Too dissappointed with the truck itself but pretty bummed about the “Toyota shop” that sold the truck. Honesty aside there is some Extremely questionable workmanship all the way around the truck. If someone works on toyotas for a living for most of their I would expect the workmanship to be much higher that what I, a YouTube trained Landscaper, could do. People are idiots.

I drove to barrie to pick up an overpriced tailgate because I needed one for the truck, made it about 3/4 of the way there and the truck threw a check engine light and then started flashing and would barely run because of a Cylinder 4 misfire. P0304 is the code.

-Compression numbers were basically 155, 155 142 and 151 so pretty close and healthy enough
    – theres two coils, one does cyl 1 and 4 and the other does 2,3. I swapped them between each other to see if it changed what cylinder had the issue but nope still number 4 so the coils seem like they’re ok.

My thought right now is that a injector is bad. But I ordered someone plugs and wires to do that first, and I ordered a fuel filter and PCV because they all need to be done. If those doesn’t change anything I think I’ll do more inspection and check the injectors

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Pulled the throttle body body and intake manifold off, pulled the fuel rail. And tested number 4 injector and it seems like it’s dead. The other one I checked tested out fine. I pressurized them with a can of carb cleaner, and put 12v to it and sprayed a decent pattern. So I’m hoping that’s my issue, I ordered 4 new ones, and the injector cups.

And I did plugs and wires too.

I’ll have to update once I get it back together. I want to clean the throttle body and manifold too, because they didn’t look so great.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Great troubleshooting, hope you get to the root cause efficiently.

Did you end up getting a tailgate in Barrie?

A real shame about the poor reputability of what I thought was a good source for a used Toyota.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah I’m really hoping that cures the issue, if it doesn’t I dont know what to do. My injectors showed up today and they look good, just waiting on the cups from LCE.

Yep I picked up the tailgate, that guy was great he tried to help me out. He charged me too much for the parts but he was at least helpful.
    Toywerks is absolutely dead to me, I would never recommend them to anyone for used parts, and definitely not for service or custom work.

I buy and sell alot of stuff and try to be honest and forthcoming so people know what they’re getting.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I had considered a diesel swap from then for a while (up until recently), but the cost was more than I was willing to spend. The mileage and tuning potential called to me, but just couldnt pull the trigger. Glad I didnt now that I know your experience.

How was shipping and duty from LCE? I really really wanna buy their longtube header, but $459 usd, plus shipping, plus duty, plus exchange rate is off putting. Consider for 1/6th the cost I can buy a new manifold from RockAuto and cure the leak (but suffer on power and noise).

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I realized today that the purchase from LCE was really stupid. They were 20 bucks US for the cups, then shipping was 49.50 US from california so it was like 85 bucks not including duty and they’ve taken a long time to show up. Had I known all that, and the fact that I only need one cup I would have just overnighted one from a dealer in Toronto but oh well. I’ll let you know what the duty ends up being.

Crazy how a 5 dollar part ends up costing you 25 bucks by the time it gets to your house

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That very reason is why I refuse to purchase from Marlin Crawler (unless I really really have to). Worst part for me is having to pay the fedex man at the door another $50.

Hope your injector cups arrive soon.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Me too I really want to get it together!
    The next thing I need to do before I get it back together is drain the fuel tank.
    I’m fairly sure the fuel I got was bad when the truck stopped running properly.

The Tacomas don’t have a drain in the tank and I was having trouble getting a siphon down the filler. So I think I’ll have to pull the filler neck off and then get the siphon down there, then I can see what the fuel looks like.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Stupid LCE is taking forever to get my parts to Canada so I just got an injector cup and o ring from the dealer today and put it all back together. It runs well! Really happy about that, it didn’t take long to fix so I decided to pick up some steel and start some rock sliders.
    Washed and waxed my work truck too!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Toy-Yota.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

I like it… what do you think? Sliders are 2×3 .120 wall, the legs are 1/4 plate and the 1 5/8 .120 wall round tubing.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Looks killer! Glad to hear the new injector solved some issues too!

Countdown is on for trails opening up.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah pretty excited to get out there, picked this up today! Happy with how it looks, it fits perfectly because it’s for a 99-04.
    I’ll sand it out and paint it black soon when the weather warms up a bit.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Sanded and painted gloss black

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024