Select Page

Slick's Taco

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Slick's Taco

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Crawled under the truck to rotate the driveshaft x diff 180 degrees. While under there, thought I’d look around.
    the centre carrier bearing is shot. Has more play than a kindergarten class!  The u joint by the carrier bearing looks pretty shady too, but no play in that…

while greasing the rest of the u joints, I noticed A LOT of fluid on the driver side half shaft and cross member. Looks like I blew a diff seal on the driver’s side.
    Bearing
    Fluid

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

And forgot to mention the AC compressor doesn’t engage anymore. When I turn on the defrost or AC, the compressor screams at me for a few seconds.

Now that I have time, it seems the old Taco is trying to take it all up…..

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Winch finally hooked up!  That only took a year and a half!
    http://tnortt.ca/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/208874/y11d437wnuzi2jkepcbotq9t4nbpsu6h.jpeg
    Winch2

Winch3

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Wow Steve, you’ve been busy under the Ol Taco.  Good work keepin’ the trail truck happy. Between all the bearings and fluids, you may just wake up a few extra horses under the hood!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Took the bumper off tonight and put the winch to her first use.  The outer bumper mount studs were broken off the mounting bracket.

http://tnortt.ca/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/208877/iwg0rqvguf9x624rc27idflin2g2crgl.jpeg
    Brkt
    Brkt2

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Welded up and good as new:

2Bump

And bumper back on – the winch won’t pull the bumper off the truck now!
    Bumper

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Got my Rock Auto order today!  Garage time again once M goes to work.    😉

Rockauto

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Don’t mind my latte!  lol

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Lookin’ good Steve.  Was funny to learn your winch was installed two-full years before you actually needed it.

You got any source of heat in your garage for all this wrenching?  Or layering on the beer jackets for warmth?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I have a 220V construction heater in the garage.  with a winter coat and gloves, it’s sufficient.

Got all the U joints and the centre bearing changed.  When I realized I had to remove the centre U joint to replace the centre bearing, I decided to change the rest of the u’s, since they were only $20 each…

The centre bearing was a total bitch to get off.  The youtube videos made it look like it would just tap out… Not so much….

Funny thing about this centre bearing is that it’s offset, not centered like the stock one.  This is better because I didn’t have to install shims to keep my DS straight.  I still have to take it for a test drive to see if the not-so-good vibrations are gone.

I didn’t have the heart to tell the TW guys if you’re an experienced driver, you don’t really need a winch.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

How are your driveline vibrations since clocking your driveshaft and all the new bearings?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Vibrations are gone! She drives smooth as silk now!

Got the axle seal changed today, after f**king up the first one and having to buy another…  I picked up a PVC coupling and cap sized to match the seal, so I could tap it in evenly.  It’s amazing how easy the job is when you have the proper SST to do the job ($4.75 at Home Hardware).

Filled the Diff fluid and did an oil change while I was under the truck anyway.

Took her for a test drive and ran into Finn at Timmies – bonus he treated me to a coffee 🙂

On the drive home, I was treated to a guy railing his woman doggy style in an upstairs window with all the lights on and no curtains or blinds…  lol.  Couldn’t really see anything, but I knew what they were doing.  It was good for a chuckle on the drive home.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

New seal in:

Seal

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Oh man that’s an eventful day in a small town.  Glad the vibes are gone.  Is She all ready for the next adventure?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Let’s see your SST! I always want to make one of inner axle seals but never did.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024