Select Page

Slick's Taco

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Slick's Taco

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I blew a head light in the Taco again.  I get the Sylvania zXe.  They’re the most expensive and super bright, but only last 6 months.  I’ve been using these for about 5 or 6 years now….

I went to Canadian Tire to get new ones and explained the short life to the guy at the desk.  He said these are very bright, but it even says on the cover they don’t last long…  However there’s a 1 year warranty on them.  He said keep your receipt and when one blows, bring ’em back.

In  6 years, that’s the first time anyone told me that… I’m sure I’ve mentioned they don’t last that long before…

Anywho, guess I won’t have to pay for lights anymore… Unless I lose the receipt in the move.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Finally had 5 minutes to myself to take a look under the old girl (talking about the Taco here…).  She’s been squeaking and rattling everywhere over the winter.

So here’s what I found with just a quick look:

Good news first – the frame looks good!

The bad – Have a broken leaf spring in the right side OME Dakar pack.

Rear shocks are leaking and done.

Front shocks are leaking and done.

Clutch fan has a worn bearing and rattles on deceleration.

There’s coolant dripping from the bottom of the engine.  Last time it was the engine temp sensor – hoping it’s the same this time…

She’s in need of some lovin’

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Can’t believe your OMEs snapped, that’s surprising. So what’s the story, big parts order going in?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Dropped off my receipt for leaf springs at Toyota to prove I replaced them (after stock leaf broke in 2011).  I’ll see if they’ll give me a set of factory springs for the TSB.

If they will, I’ll put those on and get a new pair of 3rd leafs made to put in the OME set.

Added to the list – AC stopped working.  This will be a priority to get repaired before Ardbeg!

Once again, I’m toying with the idea of a new truck…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Definitely will want AC with this weather!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

She goes in next week.  Dropped the idea of a new truck and looking at a 65 chevy 4×4 😀

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Toyota wanted $982 to replace my condenser (has a hole in it) and refill…  My buddy can get me one for $175 + tax.  Refill kit from Can Tire and back to cool running.

No word on the leaf springs yet.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Bought an AC condenser from a buddy for $175 +Tx.  Installed it Friday night.

Picked up an AC refill kit from Wismers for $46.

The old girl has AC again!

Oh yes, Woodstock Toyota was kind enough not to reinstall my Hi and Lo pressure caps for the AC lines.  I’ll go chew em out tomorrow to see if they give me some.  I’m sure they will – I can get pretty bitchy with dealers – lol.  I’ll save that though because I still want them to honor a leaf spring warranty 😛

Krezz

AC is def a requirement these days.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I called TCI (Toyota Canada).  They are looking into my leaf spring issue and I should hear back in a couple of days now.

I also asked about the frame recall.  It is for Tacoma model year 2005 – 2010 and also includes Tundra and Sequoia.  See club chat for more details.

I was always pretty regimented about cleaning my fame, so I don’t think mine will be rotten.  I’ll get it inspected anyway.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

As a note, I will not be going to Woodstock Toyota for this inspection.  I have no faith in their mechanical abilities…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that info, I didn’t actually realize that 05+ had the frame recall too. I tried to get my 04 done but it was a georgia truck and didn’t apply.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

@Toy-Yota – NP dude!

Well TCI came through for me.  They’re going to reimburse me for the leaf springs!  Not sure how much yet, but it’s the principle of the matter – I don’t really care how much…

Woodstock Toyota got my new AC pressure caps 🙂

They also offered to inspect my frame, but I think I might make the trip to Hefner for that…

There’s a guy in Hamilton that has a brand new set of Billies 5100’s for $500.  If my buddy can’t get a good price on new ones, I’ll jump on those ones.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Got the billies and bought a strut spring compressor.  Gonna go back and buy the guy’s navigation unit too.  It’s for a 2014, but I can rig it to work in my 09.  TacomaWorld has a good tutorial on it.

Taco in the garage under surgery as of Saturday night.  Couldn’t wait, had to pull one of the coil overs out.

Pictures to follow…

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Can’t wait to see the upgrades

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024