Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sold the Small Block this morning!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Well pocket full of cash, it was fun while it lasted. Sorry you had to leave so soon, but RockAuto and I have a good thing going.

Incoming parts: clutch kit, 2.5” cat, 2” aluminum rad, steering gear, rear main seal, front seal, motor mounts, diff gaskets, and a bunch of thermostat gaskets/seals.

I will still have lots of parts to purchase, including clutch flex and hard line, 2.5” exhaust pipe from cat back, some weld on flanges, accessory belts and pulleys, oil & filter, rad fluid, power steering hoses, fuel filter and rad hoses….just to name a few. Maybe ill need a new oil pan and dipstick if the stock 3rz pan interferes with the steering. OEM T100 pan has a rear pickup as opposed to front pickup in the 4Runner/Tacoma

Here’s to reassembly!!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Whaaat? Could it be? Progress on Redee? DAMN STRAIGHT!!

Over the last couple nights I got my fuel tank leak 100% verified as a manufacturer defect. Where I thought a rock punctured it, turns out the spot weld for the anti-slosh tray is cracked. Torn between using POR-15 tank sealer, or getting a pro-welder to hit those spots with some tig.

Last night I installed a brand new steering gear. What a nightmare, it seems to be 1/8” larger than the one that cane out, so I needed a larger shoe horn to stuff it in place. But she’s torqued down now.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Progress has been sporadic at best, been busy last couple weeks.
    On Friday night I put seam sealer down on the floor around the edges of my patch panels mainly to fill the pin holes and self-tapper holes I couldn’t fill with the welder.

Yesterday I made another big purchase, buying all the parts required to convert my 3RZ to have a rear oil sump. This uses all OEM parts, so it was stupid expensive, but the motor wouldn’t (technically still doesn’t) fit around all the steering linkages. This rear sump pan should do the job.

This week I’m gonna see if I can get the gas tank repaired for a few bucks, rather than replaced for about $300.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Called and talked to a local welder, he said to bring the tank over and he’ll see what he can do.

Ordered a replacement engine mount because one of my rockauto units that arrived. It appears to be out of process, appears “unfinished” as compared to its supposedly matching brother.

I also touched up a few spots with seam sealer where light shine through after drying.

I think tonight I’ll aim to replace the speedo drive cable, while I wait for the oil pan conversion parts to arrive.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

So my 3rd RockAuto engine mount arrived and looks as shitty as the one I was hoping to obsolete. I sent a refund complaint for two of 3 engine mounts to RA stating that it appears “incomplete”, and within 2-hours they replied and issued a refund. They said they dont want the parts back either. So I have 3 mounts for the price of 1. Guess I’ll just use the matching pair of “incomplete” mounts.

I ordered the oil pan conversion on apr 22nd, the company accepted my money, but has yet to finish processing my order. Not very efficient there, so I guess it has balanced out RA’s super efficiency.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Got my oil pan conversion kit from the post office this morning, only $42 of customs fees! I’m excited because i was expecting +$100 in fees. Marlin Crawler usually costs me $100-200 in fees for smaller orders than this oil pan.

Anyways, I may get to play in the shop tonight after the kids asleep. Looking forward to what $850 of oil pan and conversion bits looks like.

Think I’ve sold the headlights off the donor for $100, buyer is “on their way” currently, but we’ll wait and see.

FJTTSE
    Keymaster

Great progress Tom. Betcha can’t wait to hit the trails!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’m quite ready to hit the beach and/or do some camping. But unless I’m camping in the shop, it may not happen till Fall or next year 😒

Over the weekend i got about halfway through my oil pan conversion task. As always, some unexpected slow downs showed up. Long story short, I need to replace my rear main seal before I put the new pan on, but I must take the motor off the rotisserie (and onto the hoist) to replace the rear main seal. It was such a pain in the ass to get onto the rotisserie that I don’t want to put it back on after.
    While still stationary, I swapped the new engine mounts on, pulled the old exhaust manifold off and test fit the LCE Header. I must tweak the EGR tube slightly as the pitch is just too wide to fully bolt in. Gonna use a torch to warm the egr tube while I tighten the header nuts in place to narrow the pitch a bit. Gonna grab a yellow bottle of Map gas to expedite the process.

Last week I got my repaired gas tank back, primed and clear coated the underside then bolted it all back in. Finally crossed off the list.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Alright, time for a mini update. In the last 3.5 months nearly nothing has changed, but I’m gunning to change that this weekend.

Since June, I painted and primed the gas tank, cleaned the mating surface for the oil pan, modified the new dipstick tube so it’ll fit the conversion engine mounts, removed the old dipstick tube bushing, then drilled/tapped/plugged and sealed that bushing. Tonight i intend to reinstall the old bushing, and install the new dipstick tube. Currently the tube is in the freezer so it’s a little easier to drive into the block (having shrunk ever so slightly).

The plan for this weekend is to test fit the 3RZ in the engine bay! Prior to Saturday (when I’ve got the day to myself), i want to get the motor onto the hoist so I finish this oil pan conversion……I must replace the rear main seal, and glue the new pan in place.

Hoping for big update with pictures by end of weekend. Fingers crossed.

I also finally sold the old TH350 trans to a cool Kijij dude building an Iroc Camaro. $70 in my pocket.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by toys-n-yotas.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Small victories last night, got the old dip stick tube hole plugged using the original bushing, therefore I did not need to drill and tap the block. I hammered in the new dip stick tube, only bent it a little when i gave it one extra tap to be sure it was fully seated…but i straightened that by hand after. Thirdly i reassembled my hoist and have the 3rz dangling off of it. The rotisserie is still attached, wanted to have some reassurance the hoist wasnt gonna lose pressure overnight. Perhaps tonight I’ll pull the rotisserie off, and start on the rear main seal and glue on the new oil pan.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Started to figure out which bolts go where for the bell housing, turns out I’ve misplaced two of them. Not even drawn on my cardboard template, so I misplaced them during the initial separation nearly a year ago. Gonna buy the replacements tomorrow at lunch, they’re a M12 fine thread about 50 mm long.

I got the engine and trans mocked together, but still didn’t replace the rear seal.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Got two new bolts at Bolts+ for less than the cost of one lug nut at Ideal Supply. Struggled to find appropriate washers in my garage, but alas two were located. All buttoned up, just in time to take it apart in the morning to continue progress.

FJTTSE
    Keymaster

Glad to see you’re making progress although that windshield is an indication its been sitting to loooooong, LOL

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Great day of progress yesterday, hit some milestones, then hit a hard stop and abruptly killed any further progress.

I started the day by cleaning and prepping for a rear main seal, and new oil pan. I had to buy a piece of PVC to drive the old seal out and new seal in, and buy RTV for the seal plate.

Once all was dry and set, I began stuffing the 3RZ into Redee. The ONLY interference point I came across was between the oil pan and steering stabilizer. I removed the damper, and will figure a way remount it under the original slot. A spacer and a longer bolt should allow me to mount it lower. That’s a later task.

With the damper removed, the 3RZ was able to sit fully on the conversion mounts, and have it fully bolted in place. I still must remove the 3RZ again to install the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate etc. think i want to install the trans too and stuff it in as one so I don’t have to reach bellhousing bolts, the firewall clearance is low.

Before I pull the 3RZ again, I’m gonna try to get the long tube header in place.

At about 3, Matt and I went for a ride on the old bikes, unlucky for me, my worn front tire washed out in gravel and I took a spill. Nothing broken, but my shoulder elbow and rubs all fight for supremacy, ribs lost. Very tender. Too tender to make any more progress this weekend. Crap.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024