Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Nothing new with Redee, think I’m still working on the same tank of gas from my last post almost a month ago. Shame on me I know.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I lead James on a tour by the orchard in his new ‘08 Yellow FJ, and both trucks ran like champs. I hopped out of Redee to get a short vid of James in the FJ, and parked facing downward on a hill. When it was time to go, I couldn’t get Redee out of Park. The shift cable had finally failed. With a massive ratchet strap I was able to anchor off the FJ, pull the tension off the park detent pin and shift into a Forward gear. Once on flat ground (and with much assistance from James), I layed under Redee to manually select Drive on the side of the trans.

Other than the pooped cable, both trucks had a blast touring.

Thanks again James for not letting me run myself over haha.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Finally got the broken shift cable out, such a pain. I can only hope that getting a new one in will somehow magically be less of a pain in the ass.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

With lots of help from Matt, we put the hardtop back on Redee. Three days later I still have not finished bolting it down, but she’s without a trans cable, and the urgency to bolt the roof down is very low.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Priorities!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Roof, bolted down.
    Trans cable, installed and adjusted. We’re good to go.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Got some time in the shop today to replace my burnt out brake light bulb, upgrading most of the bulbs to LED while I was in there. Only the brake light remains with an old school filament, the 1157 is dual filament and my LED version was incompatible.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Redee has pulled her biggest adventure to date, leading a rookie expedition to Ardbeg.
    Besides being incredibly thirtsy, Redee didn’t miss a beat and kept her temps in check.

We toured from Shelburne through Wasaga Beach to Parry Sound, each filling up in both locations. I estimate it to be about 200kms of mixed Rural and highway. We rarely sped.

Let’s try to match the fuel consumption to the vehicle

Redee 42L
    Matt’s 4th gen 22L
    James’ FJ 20L

Ok it’s aligned, no test here.

No damage to report. The Duratracs were very noisy on the highway, lots of tread vibrations felt too, but Redee is an uninsulated tin can, so I got what I expected. The power steering and windshield both leaked, but neither spoiled any fun.

Since getting home I re-torqued the lugs (which were perfect), greased the driveline, and investigated some steering noises. The idler arm has play in it, again it was expected since I bought a cheap one. Still must rotate the tires, unfavourable camber wear is showing up front.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Glad to hear Redee ran great and a good time was had by all!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

We all had a blast!

Redee has finally stopped dripping ATF from the power steering, only took 12-days haha.

The V8 / auto combo was pretty easy offroad, but the laziness factor didn’t convince me to keep the auto forever. Redee would be better with a stick, On road and Off. Sigh…..someday….

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Redee has been put to rest for the year. She’s found a nice sleeping spot in my back yard, just have to cover the windshield to stop the snow / rain from seeping through the leak. Torn between using a tarp, or getting a temp shelter of sorts.

I wanted to keep The Shop clear to work on projects this winter. I’ve got at least two Motorcycles to rebuild this winter, and every sq ft of workspace will go a long way. Hopefully I can build myself a rear bumper for Redee over winter too.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice! I put the Dodge in storage for the winter to make room in the shop… Already been a blessing, as I’ve been cutting a lot of trim and lumber in there. I didn’t cover the Connie, and she’s covered in saw dust.

Still debating if I’m going to rebuild the parts Connie into a cafe bike. Got lots of home projects on the go. Kitchen reno is almost done – just waiting for countertop. Tore the wall out between the living room and back (not used) bedroom to open up the main floor. Want to do some barn board accent walls in the newly expanded living room and master bedroom…. Like I said – lots of projects!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Haha I wouldn’t say I put Redee in storage, moreso that She’s been evicted haha.

That is a lot of projects on the GO. Glad you aren’t falling victim to Newton’s first law in your retirement. Good on you investing your time into your equity!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Redee has been out touring twice this year now, both outings with some kind of drama.

First was the cut sidewall, I think it was a pointy rock that I didn’t quite get under the treads. We re-ran that trail last weekend in the opposite direction and I stopped to look into the rut.

Just this past Sunday we toured again, this time the starter failed to engage the flexplate….where the teeth are missing. I was able to spin the motor over with a 10” long flathead on the flexplate, but I was worried she’d snap and leave me stranded (with the girls). No fix planned here, don’t wanna put $300 to replace a flex plate, when I really just wanna be rid of that ancient trans. So temporary fix is to shim the starter again, and carry a longer pry bar with me to spin the motor over by hand again.

I do plan to replace the power steering box this year, this one just leaks too much.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Bigger job, bigger hammer (or pry-bar) lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024