Select Page

Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 369 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Hey Tom, do you play any instruments? Guitar, drums?…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I have confidence in fortnine, they’ve delivered me stuff for my atv and a GSXR really quickly.

Still torn on tires. The KENDA K270 were recommended by Fortnine customer support, and have a 4.5/5 STAR rating on +100 reviews. Buuut, I want something that looks (key words, “want” and “looks”) more like a DOT knobby, and is built for 80/20 or 90/10 Off/On road. I’m willing to just give in and buy the K270s, cause they’re just about the cheapest tire available AND the aforementioned recommendation / reviews, but I don’t wanna kick myself 500km into the season as I curse the tame treads. Gahhh, less pondering, more building.

As for musical talents, unfortunately I was born without any musical talents whatsoever. As one of my buddies puts it, I am both tone deaf and ignorant to timing haha. I’ve come to accept this, though it has taken many years.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Shop, lots of small tasks on the DR600, I’m keen to reassemble haha.
    I scuffed, cleaned, scraped and shined up the rear shock, so I could finish assembling the rear swingarm. Greased all the needle bearings and dust caps. I still need to torque it all the spec, but there were more pressing tasks.
    I put a bunch of parts through the varsol tank, including the airbox and lid. The airbox MUST go into the frame before the swingarm, I literally tried for an hour to squeeze it out past the swingarm with no luck, which is why I pulled the swingarm in the first place.
    I painted the pegs, shifter and rear brake lever semi-gloss black. Def the right colour choice, will look awesome on the engine. Will prolly have to buy a second can of it.
    I started masking the lower triple tree off so I can scuff and paint it, but fatigue caught up to me. I put all the “ready to be installed” parts into a laundry basket, and called it quits for the day.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Man, she’s gonna look like new! You should make a killing on her!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

She’s becoming a slippery slope lately as I start to ACTUALLY order parts. Hoping to keep under my 2k all-in rebuild budget, but I may splurge on a few items.

There’s an ebay headlight thats caught my attention, and turn signals are surprisingly expensive (online). Still gotta figure out a replacement Speedo / Tach too. A DR650 is nearly direct swap, but $200 for used is kinda ridiculous. Could get a Vapor digital unit for abouts the same, and save 25-years of weathering. Not sure how I feel about digital dash on such an old bike…a little out of place.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I hear ya… I was looking for a meter cluster for the 94 Connie – $200 from my bike parts guy… little steep for my liking.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yup, roughly $200 on ebay is what I’m looking to spend for a gauge set. I missed out on a kijiji gauge for $15 by 4-hours a couple weeks ago. Just today I sent a message to a kijiji guy selling his DR650 with a Vapor gauge and “original speedo included”, trying to buy just his extra uninstalled original.

Technically my bike has a speedo on it, so I’ll pass a safety come springtime.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night in The Shop, I put in a couple hours stripping and painting the upper and lower triple tree, handle bar clamps and the new-to-me Renthal Bars. I was contemplating leaving the bar clamps in raw aluminum after I sandblasted them, but I was unable to not leave grimey finger prints on them during handling. Decided it would pain me less to hit them with a little paint.

The Renthal bars are factory take-offs from a Kawasaki KX450F, and holy hell is that factory grip glue strong. Prolly spent almost an hour removing one grip alone.

Once the triple trees are dry, I think they’ll be the first pieces to be re-attached to the frame!

I ran out of semi-gloss black, so I gotta grab another can before I can give the engine some touchups.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Looking good!

Remember when I said the scrap guy wanted $200 for the combi meter? I just found a 2002 parts bike with said combi meter attached for $100!!! Picked it up tonight!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That’s a sweet score!

I have only found two other DR600 on kijiji in months. One being sold off in parts (but nothing I need), the other as a half-rebuilt project needing engine work (for $1300). I’ve got the search saved, hopefully something pops up before springtime.

I also made a kijiji wanted ad a couple days ago. No hits yet.

Meanwhile ebay has turned up a universal gauge for $60-ish. Not ready to pull the trigger yet, trying to determine how to verify the speedo measured rpm vs displayed speed. Not willing to wait 3-months on china to sell me something that’s 40% off.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I’ve been looking at a Yamaha 350 enduro for $1400. Spending too much $$$ lately though, so held off on that one.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Matt and I flipped a Yamaha XT225 earlier this year, and I only rode it 150m down the street. It felt good, but adding 50% more displacement would have made it WAY better. Seemed like 225cc of tamed 4-stroke was not enough to provide the thrills either of us were looking for. Think we sold ours for $3G, not bad considering all we had to do was clean it up some.
    I’d jump on the XT350 for $1,400, prolly re-list it immediately and enjoy the ride!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Home renos costing too much to splurge on another bike… have to let that one go 🙁

Toy-Yota
    Participant

It’s always a fine line and a slippery slope when you flip vehicles. How much do you put into them before it’s not worth the time and money?

I find it really depends on the vehicle and the market

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That “when to quit” time is always tough, made worse when there’s a fondness towards the machine. Alternatively, made easier when I hate the machine haha. Had a Bombardier ATV (pictured below) I despised, that brute couldn’t go away fast enough. All the parts were expensive, and tons of surprise broken shit ate ALL my profit.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 369 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024