Select Page

Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 364 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last week in The Shop, my neighbour dropped off a generator for refurb. It’s been sitting a very long time, bur hardly has any hours on it. Due up, carb clean, engine cooler fan install, Voltage Regulator and a new battery. It’s a 7000 Watt generator, with a 13hp motor….what a beast.

Go figure, after 1-hour of wrenching, I’m stuck waiting for parts to arrive.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yesterday in The Shop, I pushed in a new project. I am working on getting a 1998 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail up and running to sell for a friends Dad. According to the last license plate sticker, the bike has been parked about 6-7 years.

Prior to the bike rolling into the shop, my buddy put in new plugs and trickle charged the battery.

My daughter and I drained the gas tank, and carb bowl, and pulled the garbage battery out. A quick carb and airbox clean, and half-filled the tank with fresh gas. All we need now is a new battery, and hopefully this beast will fire right up.

Only reason for refurb is to put it up for sale. My Buddys Dad’s riding days have ended with a second broken hip in 2020.

For sale:
    1998 FLSTC, ~90,000km. Asking $7,000-ish

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yesterday in The Shop, I finished up that Harley Davidson and took it for a 20km loop around the block! Rides awesome, stops well, and looks decent to boot.

Forgot to mention, I tested and passed my M1 license! I still gotta sign up for rider education at Georgian College.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Shop, my atv was finally reunited with its rims and tires. At work I learned to use a tire mounting machine, and put a set of tubes in the tires which were cracked, plugged and partially dry rotten. $10 a tube is way better than $100 a tire for what I plan to do.
    Now all I need is that freakin’ drain plug to arrive in-store so I can put some oil into the crankcase.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Congrats on the M1!

I’ve been trying to find a cheap quad to fix up, but no luck yet… Yours looks pretty good.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thanks Steve! It had been a long time coming. Tomorrow registration opens for Rider Education @ Georgian College for September.

My ATV is in great shape, I am 1 crush washer away from being able to ride it. There’s some worn out bits, a couple rust holes, frame dents and repairs to the plastics. Everything you’d expect on a 30-year old machine.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yesterday in The Shop, some bodywork for my sister-in-laws first car. Had to reattach the front bumper, after a parking curb stone tried to remove it. A couple plastic push tabs, zip ties and rivets saved the day.

Also in The Shop, I located the source of a consistent squeak coming from the back end of truckee. The spare tire is a weee-bit loose, and the steel rim is squeaking on the frame. Unfortunately I also found that Truckee has broken a leaf spring on the passenger side.

Looking for used OEM leaf springs. Truckee is not in the market for “lift or HD” springs.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Go see a Toyota dealer and see if your springs are covered by the TSB.

I replaced my leaf springs in 2011 on my 09 because of a broken spring. When my OME Dakars broke a couple of years ago, I contacted Toyota… They said they would install new OEM leafs, and pay me $800! Only catch, they wanted my old broken Dakars.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thanks for the info Steve. I will call and inquire with the dealership tomorrow. That’d be awesome to be covered by them.

@Tacoma16
    has offered to trade me a set of used OEM springs he got for mockup (I think). So if the Dealer has no FREE option for me, I have an alternative option.

Today in the shop, I finished my neighbours generator about 15 mins after the delivery man dropped off parts. Still waiting on the battery, go figure.

Once I had tidied up, I finished registration for the M1 —> M2 rider course. Pretty excited for that.

About 45 mins later my buddy Matt called and said he sold the Katana. OH YEA BUDDY!!!

Harley still for sale.

Pretty good day today.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Kitchen, disappointing news from both Collingwood and Orangeville dealerships as told me that I’ve got no outstanding recalls or TSB for leaf springs. Only the L32 frame corrosion spray is outstanding (but I don’t quite trust that shit yet). So I’ll be taking Peter up on his leaf spring swap offer, and bust my knuckles next week.

Today I’ll order my e-brake cables, and shoes from RockAuto and try to find somebody who will turn drums for a reasonable rate. I was quoted ~$230 from Collingwood Toyota, and that is NOT reasonable.

Yesterday I ordered a new 7-pin wiring housing from Princess Auto for $4.99, and stripped the OEM harness from Truckee. I’ll shorten the harness a couple inches to eliminate the “stripped by Ardbeg” section and relocate the coupler into the bumper by the plate light.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Shop, I fixed a weed eater with a failing pull-start. I diagnosed the problem to be a loose housing, all 4 10-32 screws had rattled out the casing, allowing the pull start clutch to move separately from the engine. After a greasy disassembly, I added 4 new screws and tons of lock tight. (See the shiny new Robertson screw, all 4 originals had fallen out). My neighbour Dave should be pleased with the cheapness of my fix.

Also in The Shop today, Matt dropped off his 1994 Honda TRX300 atv for a repair. The starter motor stuggles to engage, and sounds slow and gritty sometimes. Before we order a bunch of parts, I’m gonna separate, clean and reconnect all the electrical connections in the starter circuit. Not sure if I’d prefer a voltage problem, or A hardware problem at this point in time.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Shop, I cut, stripped and repaired the OEM trailer wiring harness using Princess Auto parts. I still have to test the new harness, and if all goes well, I’ll put a hole saw to the rear bumper and mount it permanently.

Big shoutout to @Tacoma16 for hooking me up with used leaf springs. I met him in Fergus Sunday evening, and have been hosing down Truckee in PB Blaster since. Hoping to do this leaf spring swap at home over a couple nights.

Also ordered new E-brake cables and brake shoes for Truckees rear. I know I still have some shoe life remaining (@ 138,000km), but I’m hoping to avoid tearing into my drums until at least 2030. Possible? Maybe. I’ve got almost 8-years out of this set, and so far it’s only the sticking cable that’s given me grief.
    Toyota wanted $141.95 per side for the E-brake cable…almost got my entire RockAuto shopping cart for less. Thanks to Collingwood Toyota for verifying part numbers for me.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

You may have issues with the bolt beside the muffler… When I changed out my original leaf springs only 3 years after I bought the truck, the first 3 bolts came out no problem… The one beside the muffler was a bitch!

I did same as you for e-brake cables. Dealer quoted me almost $1K for parts and labour. I did it for almost 1/10 that in 1/3 of their book time.

get after it tom! see ya tomorrow evening bud.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 364 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024