Select Page

Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 369 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

My replacement tubes arrived early (love buying from Fortnine), so I threw a new rear in last night, paying explicit attention to do it correctly this time. I also made damn sure that my knuckles didn’t lose another fight to the rear sprocket. 3 got properly busted up on Sunday breaking the bead.

Just gotta wait for the weather to turn again. Perhaps tonight I’ll pull the front apart and double check before then.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The Shop has been slow lately, mostly waiting on parts.

Last night I replaced the rear tube again, making sure not to repeat my previous errors. I was able to complete the task start to finish in under an hour, pretty impressed with myself. Rode into work today, gonna detour some backroads on my way home.

On the weekend I repaired and tuned-up a pair of push mowers for a coworker, putting a few dollars in my pocket. Carbs were dirty, and throttle springs were stretched/ineffective. Quick work for a saturday morning.

Hoping to change gears back to Redee soon, waiting on the postman still.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The Shop was busy last week, but not by me. James was wrenching on the FJ, replacing the front hubs , seals, and CV’s, tire rods and sway bar and links on both sides. He had quite a few set backs trying to get all the parts he needs, but overall he’s thrilled with his results. The FJ can coast again, and the new tie Rod ends have taken away lots of resistance in the steering. The old ones were seized solid so the steering wheel felt like it was fighting you.

Last night I started working on repairing a wiring harness for my bro-laws atv. The harness is partially melted, the ground wires mainly, thinking either there’s a short in the harness or the voltage regulator is pooched.

Just before lunch my neighbour asked me to look at a gas pressure washer that he can’t get started this year. In my initial quick look, I’ve found that The pressure washer is “stuck on”, the wand trigger is irrelevant currently. Im assuming there’s a stuck valve somewhere. Hoping it’s a quick fix for Dave.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by toys-n-yotas.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night in The Shop I cleaned the carb from my neighbours pressure washer, the bowl was rusty and main jet plugged solid. Hopefully she’ll fire up quickly today, and that stupid wand trigger sorts itself out when it sees a blast of high pressure water.

Tonight I plan to repair my bro-laws wiring harness so I can ship it back to him in Peterborough

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The power washer fired up first pull with the choke on, and ran strong after opening it fully. Only trouble is the wand trigger doesnt function properly, its stuck 90% open, so “always on” sorta deal. My neighbour wasnt too concerned, said he’ll get a new wand later.

Last night I repaired the wiring harness, was less work than expected once I unwrapped all the electrical tape. All the ground wires had full continuity, and just any 6 feet were melted through the sheathing. The hardest part was de-pinning one two-pin connector as the male terminal had two ground wires going to it. Once I got the pin out, I openined it, replaced both wires and had a miserable time shoving the two new back through the connector. Eventually WD40 saved the day haha.

Anyways, gonna ship it back to my bro-law today.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Was working on Matts bike last night with him, trying to figure out a strange stalling issue that arose on our last ride. Seemed like the carb was running dry, but when I pulled the carb apart last night nothing looked strange. So I gave it a very quick clean, set the float valve a touch lower (so the bowl fuel level will sit higher), and put a new fuel filter inline too replace the very old and yellow’d one. Hoping the filter was plugged, and we’re done with this stalling issue.

Tonight I’m picking up parts for Matts bike, some rubber isolators for his seat that have been ready for pickup a couple weeks now.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Not much completed in the last week or so. I put Matts bike back together, but we still haven’t taken a test ride.

I changed the oil and filter in my bike because i thought i was hearing a metallic rattle on my last ride, but I was rippin’ triple digits on pavement, so it may have just been a combination of knobbies, pavement and wind noise. The oil came out clear of debris, but pretty dark from heat. Regardless Im hoping for the best.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by toys-n-yotas.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Well The Shop has been slow recently, but i did manage to ressurect my atv after swamping it in Ardbeg on South Trail.
    It took 1 diesel flush and 3 oil changes to get the water out of the crank case, a carb cleaning, air filter service, a new spark plug, rear brake cable tightening, and front brake resevoir re-fill & bleed.
    On Saturday I rode the atv around the block, about 500 metres with my youngest daughter, and all seems well thus far. I believe putting it through a good heat cycle will do great things, but that opportunity has not yet arose.
    That’s all for now.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

A little make-busy project in The Shop this week as I try to reattach the front bumper and rack onto my atv. It has been hanging on loosely for 3 years ive owned it, prolly cause most the fasteners are missing. Of the 6 fastening locations circled in yellow, the locations also circled red were missing. My task is welding some studs into the two lower locations, they were likely the largest fasteners holding it together once upon a time, assuming an M8 bolt.
    Attempt #1 failed the other day because I got spatter on the stud threads and broke off the stud while trying to remove the very stuck nut. Lesson learned, version 2 sometime this week.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I try to avoid water all together now. Nothing deep enough to touch the axles.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That’s exactly why I thrash the cheap machine haha. Getting into camp at Ardbeg is the furthest offroad the Taco gets, but I do send it down No Winter Maintanance roads on a weekly basis.

Crap day today. Finally got a Kijij buyer to show up for my old shop beer fridge, go figure it wouldn’t get cold after 20 mins of running. I apologized to the buyer, dragged the dead fridge to my scrap metal pile. 30 mins before that fail, I hop in the bike to ride home, discover a flat front tire. I pumped it up, rode home with a slow leak. 20 mins after getting home, tire is dead flat. No luck this year. Only 1,200 kms accumulated, got my third flat tire of the season. Feeling defeated, need a small victory to turn this luck around.

Last week I DESTROYED my cold heading machine at work. One little ooopsie, prolly 2-5 weeks downtime, minimum $5k repair. So glad I don’t pay the bills there.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Tonight in The Shop, I had a helper working on the atv with me. Together with My middle daughter, we welded in studs and bolted the front back into place using 5/6 locating fasteners. 3/6 are M8 bolts in the original nut, 2/6 are the new super strong 3/8” studs welded to the frame tube. The last M8 needed a whole lot more work to make proper, and it was plenty late enough already.

Def a win tonight working with my darling daughter.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night in The Shop, I tore the front tube out of the bike to inspect it for a leak. There was a tiny pin hole, worthy of a patch. I held the tube beside to tire to determine what inside the tire caused the pin hole, and I found bits of a “QC passed” sticker mashed into the inside of the tire. Looks like the tube just rubbed and chaffed the sticker, until a sharp corner managed to wear away at and poke through the tube. Such a stupid failure, but at least one small patch was all i needed.

Currently layering up for a cold ride in this morning.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night I took my atv OUT of The Shop to put her through a good heat cycle since the swamping.
    I ripped down the local section of OF-ATV trail about 6 km each way, going hard southbound, and cruising back more sanely Northbound home.
    The heat cycling worked, the oil is now a perfect colour with no appearance of aeration or water contamination. As a bonus, I also learned the top speed of my ‘91 is right where it was advertised 32 years ago. I hit 70km/h, perhaps a tick over, and the internet claims a top speed of 45 Mph (72.5km/h). To be honest, I had prolly topped out at 45 km/h previously riding with the kids. Most of my accumulated mileage has been in LOW range, and I don’t mind that at all. Still looking to buy a two-up seat so i can take the kids on longer / better tours.

Today i rode the bike to work, hoping to over compensate a little in September because I have not ridden nearly enough kms yet this summer. Sitting around 1,500 total, goal is to hit 3,000 before i put her away for winter.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by toys-n-yotas.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

That’s why I ended up selling my last bike in the spring. Just didn’t ride enough anymore. Although I still wish I could take a bike to the big race at Sparta on September 24.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 369 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024