Select Page

Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 369 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

James bought everything from RCI when they had a site sale.
    Yes Toytec coilovers, good eye.

He grabbed a full set of skids and sliders from RCI at the same time, those will start going in this weekend I suppose.

I can’t wait to see the new stance on his FJ. It was pretty low in the front with the whinch bumper destroying approach angle from the oem (and possibly original from ‘08) struts. The 100 lbs whinch and 50lbs centre bumper was very noticeable for drivability. Quite looking forward to riding along on the next tour. There’s just so much more downtravel in the suspension, might need a taller jack to get the tires back on haha.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

This weekend in The Shop, James finished up his FJ 2.0 installs, and rolled on out.

So far he says the truck feels sooo mich better, but needs an alignment to really shine. And some more weight in the back, apparently the rear didn’t squat much once the tires touched the ground.

He still has a couple odds and ends to bolt on, but the main is done.

Up next in The Shop, either the mini atv LT80 for my kids getting tuned up, or a new throttle cable and U-joint for my Quadrunner, or a clutch in my DR600. The mini atv has never run in my possession, my atv is heading to ardbeg in a months time, and the bike is having a tough time deciding if it needs a clutch or not.

After some of these easy jobs, I’ll switch gears to the donor 4Runner and yank the engine/electrical/exhaust.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

A little high in the back yeah but it looks awesome. The FJ is becoming very popular in the used market I’ve noticed.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

A little high, James is hoping that his drawers, tools snd spares add a little extra pre-load to it. I still haven’t been for a ride in it, James still seeking out an alignment shop. I think he’s gonna replace his LCA bushing and eccentric bolts before going for an alignment. Rather do the labour than pay for the labour.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Shop, nothing exciting haha.

I’ve gotten two offers on my Duratracs, both a little low for me to jump on.

I also posted the Gold Wing for sale, tired of looking at it, and it’s at least 4th or 5th in line for getting any attention. I’d rather sell it off, free some space, and put a couple hundred bucks towards Redee’s project. I’m only $250 into the Wing, so it’s pretty much guaranteed to return some minor profit.

I’m not sure what my next bike will be, but E-start is high on the list. Maybe a DR650, I love my 600 but some aftermarket parts would be appreciated. I really wanna test ride a Yamaha Tenere 700, but $12k sticker price is no good. Maybe a sport touring to chew up those psved kms between home & work. Regardless this will be a Next Year thing.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Goodbye Goldwing and piles of parts. So much room for activities! No regrets, bike went to a hardcore gold wing enthusiast. Perhaps I’ll grab another for cheap in the future after the atvs, DR, Redee and lawn tractor are completed.

Yesterday while baby was nappin’ I was able to replace the sticky throttle cable on my atv. All it needs now is a rear U-joint, and she’ll be up to 95% again. But I guess NEEDS is subjective, the old one is still hanging on, though just barely.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night in The Shop, the DR got a couple hours of servicing, 2 outta my 3 main troubles were corrected.

First up was an oil leak from the stator side cover at the 2 o’clock position. I had lost roughly 1 L (out of 2.3L full capacity) of oil on two tanks of fuel ~500kms. Just as I suspected, a small tear in the gasket was the culprit. Hardest part was scraping all the old gasket material off the mating surfaces.

Second fix for the night was a carb clean and inspection. This was based off some seat time observations and spark plug reading. My biggest problem being that the revs steadily climb when stopped and up to temp. I’ve been slipping the clutch at stop lights to tame the idle speed, and my plugs looked VERY lean.
    Just about everything in the carb was spotless, aside from a couple flecks of grit at the opening of the carb. The “Eureka” moment came when I pulled the needle jet and the assembly was in the wrong order! I’ll attach a before and after, but the spring and spacer were incorrect, leaving the needle jet sitting too low (lean), despite the clip being in the lowest setting. I corrected the assembly sequence, but left the clip height in the richest setting. I debated this a long time last night, but figured a little extra fuel wouldn’t hurt, and it’d only take me an hour or two to change its height if the rideability sucks.

For good measure I put in new spark plugs too. Easier to read the carb changes this way.

Still on my list to do (hopefully tonight), the clutch needs to be replaced, and I’ll put in a new seal to the exhaust mid pipe.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Great that you were able to sell the wing. usually bikes don’t sell in the summer…
    Let me know if you’re interested in a 1987 Kawasaki Concourse with ’94 front end and drive train. Shouldn’t need much, if anything for safety. Have an extra set of non-leaking forks to go with it.
    Asking $2,000 for it, but I’d give you a deal. All my other bikes and parts bikes are sold off now.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night in The Shop, I was much less successful as compared to Sunday night. Long story short, the clutch I was removing was missing parts, found out my decompression cable is broken, the OEM exhaust seals seem to be incorrect, and I found the winner of the “Cross threadiest bolt” award. Needless to say, I did not ride to work today, nor will I be able to this week. It is not all bad news though.

Item 1: the missing clutch parts, a wave washer and seat. I’ve ridden at least 3,000kms with these parts missing, so not mission critical. I’ve ordered locally for about $30, should be here this week. I think the purpose os the ensure separation of the first clutch plate to the hub, or to reduce chatter and/or noise when clutch is pulled.

Item 2: decompression cable, it only makes kick starting easier. It musta broke since my rebuild, because I adjusted that cable upon reassembly. Again, not mission critical.

Item 3: exhaust seals wrong, I’ll just put the old torn one back in and wrap the leAky joint with exhaust tape. It’ll be slightly better than how I’ve ridden all year.

Item 4: cross threaded bolt is just the kick starter retaining bolt. I’ll chase the threads and put a new M8 in.

Hopefully carb tuning and clutch break-in this weekend.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thanks for the offer Steve, but I’ve been pre-approved by Sam to check out a new Tenere 700! Cost vs Service life justified it in her books, so I call that a win!

I didnt get much for the goldwing, but I didnt lose any money either.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Cool! pre-approval is always good to get!

Can’t double your money on all of em… but if you still made a bit, that’s a win too!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Driveway, I installed a set of air bags in the back of the Taco. I bought these more than a year ago with leaf springs, and stock uCA off a guy from TacomaWorld, but had only installed the leaf springs thus far.
    The air bags went in without fuss, in the scorching heat, with hand tools in about 90 mins. I still have to route the air lines in a more tidy fashion, but they’re tied away from the exhaust and pinch points so I’m happy for now.
    I wanted air bags to stiffen the rear and keep off the bump stops when I have the atv in the bed. It’s only 557lbs (dry says google), but hangs on or behind the rear axle when loaded in the bed….short bed problems. Last year i hauled it to Ardbeg, and broke a leaf spring somewhere along the way, after losing the bump stop prior. Anyeays, this should correct the sag when loaded up, and prevent sag in the winter when the bed is loaded up with recovery tools, survival gear, leer top and ice buildup on the frame.

I’ve put a picture from last time I had the ATv in the bed, pretty much squatted. Second is today, unladen with 30psi in the bags while I leak test them.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Looking good!

Question for you: 2002 Suzuki quad 500, 4×4 with 3.600 kms on it. My father in law will sell it to me for $2,250. Plastics are good, just hte rubber flares are torn up a bit.
    It runs, drives and kinda stops. apparently has new brakes, but only the front lever really does anything.

I’m not really up on quad value, but this seems ok to me. What do you think? (He just bought it to flip it, but would sell it to me for what he paid…).

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The value Sounds OK to me. 4×4 and low kms makes it pretty decent. They are lower priced machines out there, but kms or abuse is usually reflective. Not sure how much flip potential it has, maybe $3G (to the right buyer) with perfect brakes.

ATV Brakes are usually pretty cheap to fix. The rears may just meed tension added to the cable, or preload on the shoes. So long as they aren’t seized, rears tend to seize (from what I hear).

Just ran Black Lake loop on my 1991 Suzuki 250 4×4, ran like a champ. Only 2 mud holes stopped me, but none of the trucks made it through the same holes either.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The ATV starter crapped out on me. Weds night I used the starter to move the stv up the ramps into the Taco. Thursday night at ardbeg, only the starter solenoid clicked. I hoped riding a bunch would charge the battery enough, but I was forced to pull start all weekend. Now at home I put the good charger on the battery, ran it through a charge cycle, and still no start. Just a thick click of the relay. I’ll pull the battery out and run it through a recondition charge cycle, and hopefully that’s enough to get her going. Otherwise I’ll try using the booster with the battery to rule out the battery being defective. I really hope the starter and one-way bearing are in good shape, don’t wanna replace those parts, nor do I wanna pull start forever.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 369 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024