Select Page

Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 369 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks for the effort! Donor is the best way no doubt, you’ll have everything you need and things that may be hard to source otherwise especially for a 3rz

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yea this donor has been taunting me for months, but finally got the tools and time aligned. Pretty sure I got all I NEED so far, but gotta do a triple check before I call the scrapper.

You interested in the brake booster and/or master? Anything else interest you? I’m gonna drop the trans/tcase cause I’d hate to see them go to scrap, they both shifted so smoothly. Gas tank doesn’t leak, front doors are decent.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Last night in The Shop, I broke out the hot knife to help remove some good parts off the donor.
    I cut out and set aside the trans/tcase and both driveshafts, more of the exhaust, trailer hitch and door mirrors.
    Now that the exhaust is out the way I can pull the heat shields and just about have my “harvest list” complete.

Evan, what’s the easiest way to pull CV’s on these trucks? Separate the lower balljoint?

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’ve gotta plan of attack for those CVs. I borrowed a 35mm socket from my buddy, will cut the nut off the upper BJ, use air hammer to drive it outta the hub, and just throw a weld back on the upper BJ stud to keep it located in the UCA long enough for the donor to be winched onto the scrapper trailer. Hoping the angle grinder and disregard for the donor will help make quick work of this extraction.

Last night I pulled a couple heat shields, the brake pedal/master/booster and devised this CV plan.

Hoping tonight to finish up with CVs, airbox fender snorkel, maybe the battery tray and maybe some of the under hood fuel lines (just for the threaded fittings).

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice progress!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Well, the best of plans fell short to rust, so I needed a few big cuts to get the CVs out. Anyways, they’re out now, and only 1 tiny banged up thread on one shaft. Sorry Evan, but it’s a 1-min fix for ya to grind out one thread.
    This rusty donor is ready for the scrapper

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Rust gets the best of everything no doubt. When I swapped mine, I removed the 4 bolts on the bottom hall joint, the one bolt on the bottom of the strut, and lifted the whole assembly out of the way to pull out the CV.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’m glad for your sake that you’ve changed them once before you require a trailside fix. The front end of this donor was practically fused together. Didn’t even to to break bolts on the second CV I pulled, just cut out everything in the way.

I got the steering rack and cvs with castle nuts and dust caps set aside for you.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I popped into my local metal scrappers to request a pickup yesterday morning, and now I’m in a waiting pattern. Hopefully they come tomorrow, I’m ready to have the donor leave The Shop.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

It’s so nice to free up shop space!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Still no pickup, if they don’t show up tomorrow I’m gonna use the Taco to drag it out, my patience is wearing thin. I’ve got snow tires to swap, a floor plan to rearrange and most importantly Redee needs her winter home prepared.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yesterday in The Shop, a total floorplan makeover occurred. With help from James, the mighty Taco dragged the donor carcass out the bay door and back onto the crappy part of the lawn awaiting pickup from the scrappers.
    After the donor was removed, 75% of the big shop contents were shuffled around and lots went out the door.
    I fired up Redee (without hesitation) and got her positioned in the shop. Then the task of stuffing all my items back into the shop took way longer than I thought.
    Last task of the day was swapping Sam’s snow tires onto her van. The non-Redee workspace is a little narrow, but is totally doable for most tasks I’ll do this winter (oil changes, tire rotations, greasing etc).

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Power washed the bike yesterday, then saw 18 degrees in the forecast for Mon / Tues and said “to hell with winterization!” So I bundled up this morning and rode in. I can finally report that my new voltage regulator is working perfectly, saw 13.0-13.5V the whole way here, and no flickering lights. Success! Gonna take the long way home, figure this may be one of my last opportunities, seeing as I’m a fair weather rider haha.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Enjoy these last days! I took the old car out a few times to get some last miles on her before the long winter’s nap.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

The two-week forecast is lookin’ awesome, planning a ride with Matt for this coming Saturday, hopefully ride in a few days next week too. Freakin’ gasoline took a 13 cent jump last night, that’s total bullshit.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 369 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024