Select Page

Trailer Builds

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Trailer Builds

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Since my 4runner is gone and my Landcruiser too, my heart is broken and I need to mend it with trailer builds in the meantime.

I’ve posted all of the trailers on here throughout my truck build threads but I thought I’d make a post just for trailers.

I love building trailers because they’re easy to work on, you can get creative with making it your own, and I find that our needs change from season to season and so I’ve traditionally built a trailer each season to fit our needs for the year. EG: when we had a roof top tent, or when we wanted a tent trailer, when I got the atv, etc.

Here’s a few from the past, and here’s where I’m at with my current Ski/ATV hauler.

Toy-Yota
    Participant
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Bought this little 4×8 in Welland, mainly because it had a 3500 axle with backing plates for brakes, and it was 2×2 pretty solid construction but still light.

Plans were to fit the 33×1150 km2s I had bought from Facebook earlier in the year, brakes, a tongue box and a weird design that could fit my ski and my atv.
    I need to be high enough that it’s not dragging on everything on the trail, but low enough that I can load the ski easy and not have the atv way too high up in the air.
    I was hoping to keep the axle spring under but unfortunately I could set the jet ski low enough in the frame that way, so I had to spring over and a one inch lift. I kinda wish I did axleless suspension but it S kinda expensive and it’s one of those things that’s easier to start from scratch instead of making it work on this trailer

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Overall it worked out the way I wanted it too, just need to wire it now and remount the tongue box and ramps

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I gave my friend back his gas bottle for welding and I hate flux welding, I need my own bottle if anyone has any hookups.

Used Por15 for the undercoat and topcoat is gloss black tremclad.

I’m happy with how it turned out it’s pretty light and probably doesn’t need brakes but it’s nice to have on the trail sometimes and for emergency stops especially with a small Toyota

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Damn, that over/under for the atv and jetski is awesome! Are you gonna add some skid plate to protect the hull at all? Or the 33’s and square tubing enough confidence to protect on the trail?

I had managed to drag my pos trailer out to the ardbeg campsite on the point last year without (much) damage, but it wasn’t happy nor is it built right for the job. I understand how you’d want brakes especially on a tougher trail, with some steep declines. The entire way in I was comforted knowing if the trailer died I’d only be out $200 and that the atv could fit in the bed. Was really suprised it made it the round trip.

Sorry, no hookups for mig.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah for sure I armoured the front of the jetski with 1 3/4 tube and 1/4 plate, and the middle and rear I bolted plywood over that cradle and put carpet on top to cushion the ride a little and stop anything from coming up and hurting the hurting the hull.
    But the tires give it an equal or more amount of ground clearance than the tow vehicle would have.

My only issue now is the wiring, I’m getting 12v to the junction box no problem but for some reason all the lights either aren’t working or only getting 6volts. So I need to look into it some more

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Nice, that’ll keep the jetski safe down the trail!

Bad ground is my guess. Old wire snagged or frayed somewhere perhaps.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah it was a ground, I had to run a seperate ground wire from the junction box to the frame so it’s all good now. Super happy I was getting annoyed trying to figure out why they were flickering.

I also decided to extend the tongue after I painted the trailer because it was just a little too short. So I cut the tongue off with a notch to get lots of weld on it and then I fishplated it. (See picture for better description) And I got a weld on implement jack ordered. Once I added the the front box and the ramps on the front it got really heavy at the front. I was hoping to get away with no jack but I’m sure I’ll Want one once it’s all loaded up anyway.

I’ve been looking for trucks but with no luck, I’ve gotten excited about a couple but they were scams or the frames needed more work than I wanted to put in.

Edit: sorry for the upside down pics

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Loaded up with both toys I’m sure you’d appreciate the tongue jack.

Too many kijiji scams these days. I’ve also been ghosted more times than I can count in recent months. Found a 3RZ donor, replied with “I have cash and a trailer” more than 3 weeks ago. Ad still up, still no reply. Arrrrgggghhhh!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

It’s really frustrating. Now I’ve found a couple trucks in the states but I don’t remember importing being this difficult.

Here’s my concern, you have to notify the border 72 hours in advance of your crossing with the vehicle.
    But I still have to go to Connecticut to look at the vehicle and make sure I want it.
    I don’t want to do all the paper work and put fees and then drive down and not buy the truck for some reason, or what if it’s a scam?

The only option I see is to drive down, purchase it, fill out the paper work, and then leave it in the states, and come back 72 hours later after I fill everything out.m
    Tacoma in question…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

It’s been more than 10-years since I rode shotgun on one of those adventures, and I put no effort into the planning or acquisition…just shot gun.

But that does sound like quite the process.
    Consider: Buy it, drive it most of the way home to a long term parking garage in Buffalo, then go home and do all the paperwork, pick it up after it all clears. At least you won’t do paperwork if you dont buy, or have to make the full trip distance twice.

That first gen looks sweet. Did you have one of those before the 4Runners?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

That was more or less my thought process too. I really want to find one in Canada at this point but I’ll see what I come up. I’ve seen a couple step sides which I hate but I think I’d just safety it and build a flatbed tray for it right away.
    Yeah I’ve had too Access cabs, an 01 and an 04’ both TRD 5 speeds, one was a 3rz and one was a 3.4

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Picked up a jet ski for my brother and this was the maiden voyage of my trailer. It worked awesome.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024