Select Page

engine swap

Home Forums CLUB CHAT engine swap

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Question:

if I were to swap out the engine on a 2009 Tacoma from a 2.7 – 4 banger to a yota v6 or v8, could it still be registered as legal in Ontario? or would it bomb out at the next emissions test?

cultleader

youd have to check on which standard they measure it at, the ’09 or the new engine. might be worth talking to your trusted mechanic and see what they can tell you.

lee

Mudshark
    Participant

I know they have really changed the rules with non-orginal engines. I know Brad use to register his 62 with the V8 as a hotrod at one time, not sure if that is still the case.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I’ll drop by the MTO this week and ask…..

sorry slick, i don’t have an answer for you. lol(that’s my initials)

the last time i looked into engine swaps/legalities, it was the transplant engine just had to be newer than the recipient vehicle. 15-20 yrs ago

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I think I have my answer here: (quoted from: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/980361#BK5)

(2) A hot rod that receives a motor replacement on or after January 1, 1999, shall receive a motor designed to meet emission standards at least as stringent as those achieved by the original motor with all its original emission control equipment attached and functioning, and the replacement motor shall have the original catalytic converter and all the original emission control equipment, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the replacement motor by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Slick_Yota.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024