Select Page

4307's Tacoma build

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS 4307's Tacoma build

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

@ toys n yotas, stand on the stupid pedal n tell me it’s tame. speaking from experience, a truck of that size with a well tuned small block can cause religious encounters. add in a locked diff n it’s guaranteed

Haha I guess I’ll find out next year.  By tame, referring to ON road worthy.  Bigrunner was better suited for trail, and perhaps driving to a trail.  But not a full day of driving with wee-little children.  Wasn’t considering the new ride to be “tame” in terms of slow, quiet, or incapable.  She’s more like a weapon dressed up in Business Casual apparel, rather than full combat gear.  Still could pass for a DD, and that’s all Sam needs.

Ryan, any Tacoma updates?  Hopefully Heffener is buttoning up the final details.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I forgot you had plans to SAS this thing after it’s done. Now I’m more excited to see it finished.

When I had my 04 I always wanted to build it but I just didn’t have the knowledge or ability then. And I started adding up the axle cost, T100 oil pan, suspension, locker etc and it scared me off. I really should have though and would still like to at some point

Keymaster

I had planned on taking more pics of the frame swap progression but I had a little accident at work. I was fabricating a safety hand railing for our new, second building at work. The railing measures 16’ long x 47” high. I had 2 weld to do and the railing would have been finished. I finished one end of the railing and was moving the welder to the other end when the clamp keeping the railing from falling over failed. The railing fell over hitting my outside knee, knocking me over. I thought my leg was broken at first. No broken bones, may have soft tissue damage. I haven’t got the results back yet from my ultrasound.

So, I’ll be out of commission for a bit

Keymaster

This is the shorter 11’x 47” incomplete railing I built prior to the 16’er 

Keymaster

In the meantime, Heffener finished the frame swap. I’m very happy with the results. I requested the Chevy rear leaf springs be returned so I can use them again, but Dave noticed they cut the main springs had the mounting eyes cut off. Looks like a torch was used. I’ll talk to my service  rep about that, I’d like to have them replaced.

Dave was kind and helped me pick the Taco up.

heres a few

pics

FJTTSE
    Keymaster

Glad to see she’s finally done Ryan,it’s looks puny,LOL Dave filled me in on the details of the accident and truck. Get well soon!  Time for a SAS!!!!!!!!!!

FJTTSE
    Keymaster

Glad to see she’s finally done Ryan,it’s looks puny,LOL Dave filled me in on the details of the accident and truck. Get well soon!  Time for a SAS!!!!!!!!!!

Keymaster

Hey Kev.

Yup, Taco looks odd. It looks really small sitting on the road in front of my house.

Anyway, mechanically it now close to being a new truck, new canvas.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

that’s a pretty damn swollen ankle!  Take care!

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I Really hope the knee and ankle heal quick for you!

Frame swap looks amazing. Did you like the Chevy 63s? They look so long on a small truck. I have F150s which I like, I think they’re 56 or 57”.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Ouch your leg looks sore. Hope you’re back up soon. I remember the last time my foot was blue and purple like that, not a fun time.

“New canvas”…looking forward to seeing your artistry through fabrication as time allows.

Get well buddy.

Keymaster

I love the Chevy’s, they’re a fantastic option of this generation Tacoma. I’m planning on doing the Chevy swap again. I had requested Heffener return my leaf springs so I can put them back on the Taco. I received them, but they cut off the mounting eyes. Huge bummer! They said they would get back to me. The bolts were anti-seized so they should have came out easily. I could rebuild them but buying the main leaves are almost the same price as a complete spring pack. They suspect an apprentice may have torched them when they cut up the old frame.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

They’re pretty cheap at a wrecker. Were they stock pack 2wd springs?

Keymaster

The first set of Chevys were the 1988-95, 4wd springs junk yard specials, and they were cheap but worn out.

I later replaced them with Canadian made Standens, 22-795 direct replacement 63” Chevy springs, 4 leaf + overload spring. They were perfect for my rig. I’ll be duplicating that setup again.

The Standens were great springs. Truck loaded or unloaded with the weight of gear, they road amazingly. Ton of flex and stable without running a sway bar. In fact they have so much flex I ripped my old e-locker harness apart. I may add limiting straps this time around. That being said I swapped the e-locker out and replaced it with a mechanical cable actuator…. IMO, WAY MORE reliable. My elocker harnes was short to begin with, extending the harnes would have been a pain. Another issue with my elocker was, the housing corroded through and destroyed the internal actuator. I tried finding a used one without success, most were in similar condition and Toyota wanted $900 for a new one…. eek!

In other news, the hospital called me  last week and asked me to come in for a CT scan of my knee. They looked at my X-ray again after I went back for a third time, hoping to get my knee drained. They found a fracture in my upper tibia (Proximal Tibia) 10 day after the fact. The fracture doesn’t need surgery at the moment as long as fracture doesn’t expand. Looks like I’ll be out of commission for about 3 months. I had the choice of a cast or leg brace, I chose the brace. Still working, but on light (boring) duty.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by 4307.
    Keymaster

More parts for the pile:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024