Select Page

Reply To: 4307's Tacoma build

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS 4307's Tacoma build Reply To: 4307's Tacoma build

Keymaster

The steering shaft doesn’t need any fabricated modifications, although I did replace the crappy roll pins that holds the slip shaft in the upper column together. The role pin sheared while wheeling a couple years ago causing play in the steering. A small tack weld replaced the role pin. The tack weld is small enough to shear if I have a front end impact during an accident, but strong enough to keep the steering tight and responsive.

The Trailgear (Borgenson) parts are a direct bolt together system. I bought the Borgenson collapsable lower steering shaft separately a couple years ago. I bought the Trailgear U-joint to steering box part to replace the original Borgenson U-joint I bought before the Trailgear U-joint was available. The original joint would have required some modification to the splines in order to fit.

My cable conversion came from https://www.chilkatdesigns.com/E-Locker.html

Looking at the price of the kits may make you choke. But comparing the price of a new Toyota e-locker actuator, the Chilkat kit is great bang for the buck. IMO, the cable is WAY better and extremely reliable, simple design. I can also lock my rear in 2wd, locker you can’t do that without wiring mods.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024