Select Page

Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 363 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Back to Square 1… …if it was multi-coloured and dipped in surface rust. Not sure exactly how best to attack the round tubing frame to strip the paint, but I’m sure elbow grease is a big component.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

On my way into work this morning, I remembered I own a sand blasting cabinet. Will try to run the cabinet without recirculating the sand. @ $12 for a 50 pound bag, way cheaper than buying chemicals or fancy strippers.

Tonight in The Shop, I’ll test the blasting cabinet before buying more media.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Well my test both passed and failed. YES the hardware works outside the cabinet. NO it is not effective for stripping the bike. BECAUSE the hose and nozzle only extend 4” outside the cabinet. Just a little awkward holding the frame in one hand, and blasting with the other, all the while employing the “anti-blindness safety squint”.

Inquiring into paying for the service vs. buying a gravity feed hopper for $150 from Princess Auto. Leaning towards buying the tool so I can charge others for the service and my time in the future. And who doesn’t love new tools eh.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hmmmm, got a quote of $90+tax to blast my frame. Vs roughly $200 to buy all the tools & consumables. My undersized compressor may be upset running such a big blaster as well. Hmmmm.

Gotta see if my neighbour still has a blasting job he wants completed. That could sway my vote. My other neighbour (next door) has a massive compressor I could borrow, I even have enough airline to run from his garage to the corner of my backyard.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Hey! I have one of those 5 gallon gravity feed blasters. Only used it once. I’ll sell it to you for $100!

I’ll likely never use it again…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Steve that’s an offer I can’t refuse! I’ll buy that unit off you.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Cool! You want to get it on the Oct Ardbeg trip? Or want it before that?

I’m going up to Ardbeg next weekend, I could drop by on the way….

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Steve, it’d be great if you could drop it off next weekend! As it stands I’ll be home for the weekend.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Tom, we changed plans for this weekend – we aren’t heading up to Ardbeg. We’ll have to work something else out.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

No worries Steve, we’ll figure something out. If there’s a BS session on Sunday I might make it down.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I reminded Finn about the Sunday BS session – he forgot…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Sunday in The Shop, new tools after meeting up with @Slick and Melissa. Great to meet you both, hope to see you in Ardbeg in 2-weeks!

That is all. No work done yet, but Truckee is gonna see some attention in the coming weeks. Tires, rear brakes & cables, leafs, carrier bearing… all this to come after I get Redee mobile again. The new shifter cable should arrive today sometime.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice to meet you guys! See you in Ardbeg!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey @Slick_Yota I got to use the sandblaster for about 45 seconds today! Worked pretty well.
    It took me about a half hour to find the appropriate air fittings, another half hour to setup the frame, drag everything outside and find the “sweet spot” on the media feed valve which prevented clogging in the nozzle. Finally, after all the troubleshooting, my kids wouldn’t stop fighting and whining to let me get some work done. So I packed it all up for another day.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Lol. Glad it worked out well!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 363 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024