Select Page

Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Toys-N-Yotas: The Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 369 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Evan, it’s been more than 10-years since I’ve been to Ardbeg that early in the year. I just remember it was very cold overnight lows, like 1 degree. I’ll prolly sleep in Redee if I can get sorted out a good arrangement.

Steve, totally eff’d up the fork seal today. Couldn’t get the lower seal to sit deep enough, and destroyed it trying to remove it again. Not pleased, but I figured it’d be a real possibility. I blame my fork seal driver for having not long enough fingers to drive the bushing or the seal all the way into the bore. I gotta re-order the kit, and get the local shop to do the install next time. Maybe I’ll save some $$ by supplying all the parts, only needing to pay for labour. Lame…

Sweet part time, funding for the bikes and hot rod mods eh?!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Ugggh, it gets worse. Now that I’ve got the old dust seal on the bench, I see that the All Balls customer support people sold me the wrong kit. The top dust seal on my bike sits below the circlip, where the dust seal in the AllBalls kit sits above the retaining clip. Shit. Back to google.

I did manage to clean out the petcock for the fuel tank, install lock-on grips and set the slack on the throttle cables before ruining the fork seals haha. So not a complete loss today haha.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Shop, I kept working on the DR600. I found and ordered another set of fork seals, then busted out some muscles. I spooned off the old and dry rotten tires, the bead on the rear was suuuper stuck and made me bust a real sweat. The front was pretty easy. I’m considering paying to have the new MT21’s mounted, but I feel obligated at least try spooning the new ones on. We’ll see how energetic I feel once the tires arrive this week. Still gotta clean up the bead area a bit.

Afterwards I set about torquing the swingarm pivots, and engine mounts as I don’t plan on removing either of these major components again.

I was hoping to layout the wiring harness, or get the exhaust put back on today, but it was time to start cookin’ dinner.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Coming along!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Uggghh, this morning I called and got two quotes of roughly $200 after tax to rebuild the forks, labour only. I remember paying about $200 for parts and labour a few years ago for my RMZ. For $200 I think I’m willing to try again on the rebuild, even if I fudge up another $50 set of seals. Time to improvise a better seal driver, this amazon crap has really let me down.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Came home from work yesterday to see two boxes from FortNine, and one was really big! Big enough to fit a pair of knobbies!! I was googling half the night trying to figure out what Bead lubricant to use, and whether or not to dust the tube in talcom powder to prevent chaffing…honestly three hours later I have no solid direction, just a bunch of internet opinions. I’ve decided to go buy some bead lubricant (that was well received by internet ppl, and quite inexpensive) from my local NAPA, and do my best to spoon those knobbie mo-fos on there afterwards.

Once I mount the new rear tire , I can install and torque the entire driveline! Chain arrived in the smaller box yesterday, sprockets are still good, brake shoes are still good…. it’s Gonna be a great photo update in my next post.

C’mon Royal Mail and Canada Post, bring me fork seals so I can button up the front end too!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

NIce!

JUst rebuild the forks yourself. It’s easy! I’ve done at least half a dozen. Funny thing, the last parts bike I bought had perfect forks! lol

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I’m gonna try again to build the forks. I feel like I learned from my fail, now I’m just waiting on parts in the mail.

I landed a decent job in Orangeville! I start early April, I just gotta give notice in North York now. New work is roughly 23kms door to door, roughly 15kms of dirt road if I so choose, and hours are 7:30am-4pm Mon-Fri. Able to take Redee or the DS600 to shake up the routines.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Congrats on the new job! I love a short commute with lots of options!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thanks buddy! I’ll be saving roughly 140 kms of commuting a day!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Today in The Shop, got a bunch completed on the DR.
    Front tire and tube installed.
    Air filter oiled and installed.
    Chain installed, tension set and rear axle torqued up.
    Wiring harness laid out and labelled. I have a few repairs to make to the harness, mainly the battery leads need to be lengthened, and the ebay gauge cluster needs to man up (both stock harness and cluster have female ends of connector present).

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

lol – “man up”.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

FML. Another set of seals arrived that don’t match what’s coming out of my bike. 🤬🤬🤬

Seals in.
    Seals out.
    New seals in hand. Curse words.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Did they send the wrong ones? I haven’t had that happen yet – I always order older stuff through FortNine and newer through my local Kawi dealer, Cycle One.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I sent an email inquiry to the UK company I bought these from at lunch today, and by the time I got home from work they had read my email, replied to me, and sent out a replacement set!! Awesome customer service!!

The first incompatible set I ordered from FortNine, after talking to AllBalls tech support and ordering what they told me to.

Before I got home, I tried again to order OEM seals and once again was informed they were discontinued. I emailed their service manager asking her to show their techs and get an opinion. Hoping this is irrelevant once my replacement seals come to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 369 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024