Select Page

Slick’s 51 Dodge / Garage

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Slick’s 51 Dodge / Garage

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

YEs, currently has 2.73’s. 100kmph @ 1500 RPM… I like it better at 2000 – 2500RPM. That way, you can mash the pedal and gain speed rather than bog.

When in an 80KM zone I usually sit in 3rd gear…

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

What a great day for a drive to go get dinner in the 51.

Drove down to Richmond and took Richmond road to the lake. Drove along the lake to Port Burwell – there were hundreds of people social distancing at the ice cream shop on the corner! LOL.

Continued east along the lake shore, looking for somewhere to eat. Passed dozens of motorcycles, hot rods and classic cars. everyone waves!

Drove all the way to Port Dover and finally found somewhere to eat dinner! There were hundreds of people social distancing in Dover too! Got a nice perch dinner from the Erie Beach Tavern. Called in the order and they bring it out to you when it’s ready – very safe!

Then we just sat in the car and ate, while watching all the cars and people distantly going by. Beautiful warm drive home with the windows down!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Melissa finally drove the Dodge. She did a great job figuring out the tricky gear box.

While sitting in the passenger seat, I realized the seat is too close to the door – feels like you have to lean to the left, as the door is crowding you… The seat belt (which the PO installed) came out of a Toyota and continuously locks… can’t put up with that!

Being that the e-brake handle also came out of a Toyota, I began searching for seat belts and PKB to replace current parts. Called a number of wreckers to find one that was open and could answer my questions. The U-Pick places all closed. Logel’s helpful, but couldn’t check the yard.

I called Cathcart and dude first told me what I asked him didn’t make sense, so I spoke SLOWER “I need black seat belts and a parking brake handle out of a Toyota”. (I was hoping he meant that you’d never find a Toyota in a wreckers…).
    Then he told me Toyotas don’t have black interior!!! Me: “WHAT???? Buddy, I’ve worked for Toyota for 31 years and I’m telling you Toyota makes black interiors!” What a dip-shit! I will never consider going to this place because of this incident…

Anyway, I found a guy in Woodstock who was parting out a Celica (WITH A BLACK INTERIOR). I got all 4 seat belts, with buckles and hardware, along with a black leather PKB handle for $25!!!

Last night M and I took the passenger seat out, I welded up an angle iron frame (with metal from finn – thanks dude!) to mount on top of the passenger seat base and overlap 2.5″ toward the centre of the car.

Today’s job will be to drill out the mounting points, paint her up and put all back together. Then I will install the seat belts and PKB handle. Pics to follow:

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Pics of the seat upgrade: before position, during and after. You can see the difference at the door handle.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Slick_Yota.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Need to do the same to the driver’s side now.

Seat belts didn’t work out. Kept locking up.
    PKB bolts are a different configuration and I didn’t feel like messing around with it, as we had to go out later.

Although I did mount a skull to the front bumper – can’t remember if I mentioned that…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That sounds like an awesome birthday cruise! Windows down, good food, and M with you.

Wow, huge difference on that passenger seat. Figure you get 4-6” out of your mod?

What’s a PKB bolt?

What makes the trans tricky? No synchros? Wierd pattern? Heavy clutch?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

PKB is the parking brake. The one in the car (Corolla part) has the front bolt on the left side and rear on the right. The Celica part I got is opposite. Not a big deal, just have to drill 2 new holes.

Awesome day indeed!!!

The TA is kind of like the old Volkswagens that have a worn shifter plate. Reverse is beside first and if you push to the left a little too hard, you don’t feel the stop and it slips into reverse instead of first… The clutch is amazing in this car. So much so, that I can barely drive the Taco when I get in it! lol.

I did the driver’s seat a couple days ago and drove it for the first time today (since it finally stopped snowing). What a difference! When driving, I can comfortably keep my hand on the missus’ leg.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Started in the garage yesterday prepping to drywall the ceiling. Noticed the lighting was wired like shit, so spent the first day rewiring most of the garage…

Sun came out today, so had to take the 51 to TSC to get some staples and sheathing tape.

Today, we started installing the vapour barrier on the ceiling:

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Just in case you notice a light out, I had to unhook it to run the wire through the plastic….

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yup I know that VW pattern. I drove a 5-spd Cabrio (convertible golf) for a few years and damn near grenaded the trans trying to rock between 1st/Rev unstucking myself from a ditch haha. Good times. Hated that car, but with 320,000km on the odo, I sold it and got into my first Toyota. Also learned how to drive manual in that car.

Glad your drivers seat reposition worked out well too!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Thanks Tom. I didn’t get before/after of the driver’s seat, but now my nose lines up with the steering column.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Found a puddle of coolant on the garage floor today when I moved the Dodge back after drywalling 16’ of the front.

Coming from the upper road hose clamp. Moved the 1 clamp up to the rad and put another on right in front of the spool.

Tightened up all the other clamps while I was at it.

Front progress:

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Found a puddle of coolant on the garage floor today when I moved the Dodge back after drywalling 16’ of the front.

Coming from the upper road hose clamp. Moved the 1 clamp up to the rad and put another on right in front of the spool.

Tightened up all the other clamps while I was at it.

Front progress:

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Does the Dodge have an opening trunk? Or do you have to tilt the seats and pass items through the cabin to the trunk?

Those drywall lifts make sheeting a roof way more doable solo. Took me a week to put up 24 sheets in my shop a few years back….would still just be a stack of drywall without the hoist haha.

Better keep working quickly, cruising weather has arrived!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

It’s about 3/4 done now, after 2 days solo. The ceilings are 11′ high, so the lift was the only option.

I’ve done a lot of ceilings with just 2×4 “T” braces, but after 1 time renting a hoist I knew I needed one!

Once the garage is done, I only have a small portion of the basement left to finish. I guess I’ll either sell it or rent it out (likely the latter).

I was dying to take the car for a rip today, but kept at the garage… supposed to rain tomorrow, so I should be able to finish hanging the sheets.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024