Select Page

Slick new Taco

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Slick new Taco

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Glad to see that crush-cube took a beating to save the rad support!
    Looking loads better already. Glad the TW crew is helping to sort things out.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Got a quote get the grille surround and paint it along with the bumper – $900. Well worth it to put the Taco back to new condition!

I tried to JB Weld the broken tabs back on my headlamp. Didn’t work out so well. Epoxy let go when I re-installed the HL. I only let it sit for half hour or so because I had to take the truck in for an oil change…

Does anyone think the cure time of 4 – 6 hours would allow the epoxy to hold better? I’d rather not pay $495 for a new HL…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Slick_Yota.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Got the grille, trim ring and lower panel painted flat black. All turned out great, except for the trim ring… I’ll have to sand that down and try again.

Also going to try to JB Weld the tabs back on the headlamp this weekend, when I can leave it for a day to cure.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Slick_Yota.
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

So now that I’ve got my “new to me” grille and trim ring looking good, I just bought a present for the truck. I felt I needed to give her a treat since her injury:

Attachments:
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

The grille came in already! It looks great!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Picking the bumper skin up this afternoon. I’ll drop it off at Cochrane Autobody later this afternoon and hopefully have it back by the weekend for rebuild.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Wow that’s quick turnaround on those parts. Hopefully the paint matches well!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

So the “bumper” that Pete had was just the license plate lower garnish – already have one of those. Called Matt to order me a new bumper cover… Might be next weekend now.

Toyotas colour match pretty well these days… not like pre2000’s. Matt did a great job matching my daughter’s Corolla bumper, my nephew’s bumper and the box work on the Tundra (which is also 040, like my Taco).

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Installed the crash bar yesterday and epoxied the tabs back on the headlamp. Let it cure till today and put it back together today.
    Also installed the TRD grille. Pretty happy with how it turned out!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That looks pretty good from here!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

It came together quite nicely. Headlamp tabs still holding! Still waiting for the bumper and grille surround… Not sure what the holdup is, but Matt has been busy.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Added the old skull emblem to the TRD grille 😀

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Just did the OV Tune today. Like a whole new truck! Best mod I’ve ever done to a truck!
    Get up and go unbelievable!
    No more gear searching on the 401!
    Awesomeness!!!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Is the OVTune engine or trans, or both? I’m glad it wakes it up a bit, gear hunting would be frustrating.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

The software changes shift points, so the truck actually uses first gear now without having to floor it…

He used a laptop with TechStream software to do the re-write. Plugged into the DLC3 connector under the dash, just like Toyota does at the plant. He could see what software (outdated) version I had on my truck.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024