Select Page

Slick bike builds

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Slick bike builds

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I did a power mod on the 87 Connie and took it for a rip – made a noticeable difference.  I corrected the mod on the 94, but it started raining.  I’ll take it out once the roads are dry again.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

That cafe connie looks like a solid project. Do those wheels look as good in person as they do in photo?  Hard to tell if expensive wheels, or just well-painted.

Did you get to test your power mod yet?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

The wheels are powder coated with new Michelin’s on them.  They look awesome and will soon be on the black Connie.

Got to test out the power mod – amazing difference, I must say!  Definitely made a difference in power.  Plus now it starts better, idles better and the handle bars don’t seem to vibrate as much (which connies are notorious for).

Pretty damn happy overall!

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Chopped the seat and tidied it up – screwed material down to the base:

seat

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Shortened the back loop: (shot of our fat bikes in the background).

loop

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Got the idea of using my parts bike (77 KZ750) rear end to hold the brake and signal light:

rear

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Chopped and installed lights.  Tie wrapped in place for now:

You can see I also shortened the windshield and painted the inside black.  I need to shorten a bit more on the edges…

Had to relocate the plate to the side – every time i hit a bump, the plate hit the tire and bent up… notice no paint on the middle #.

tail

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Don’t mind the beer cans… I’ve been saving those up for at least 2 weeks…….

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Oh man that Connie is lookin’ good. That oem taillight fits the chopped seat great. Glad to hear the power mods checked out too

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey Steve, do you have any favourite Enduro bikes?

I have my heart set on a DRZ-400SM, but @ about $4-5,000 a little out of budget this year.

There’s an XR650L guy willing to trade for my bike. Easy to find KLR650 for under 3k with lots of accessories. Or get an OLD bike for $1k and give far fewer F*cks about it?

I know what I get will have knobbies, but that’s as far as I’ve decided.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

I liked my KLR, but it was just way too heavy for true off road (Ardbeg was a real challenge due to the weight).
    I want to get my XR200 running well enough to take up to Ardbeg to try it out, as I think 200 – 250 CC would be ideal size and weight.
    I like your idea of the DRZ400, but I tend to be on the cheap side and buy basket cases for <$500 and fix them up... I've been on a Kawi kick for number of years now, so I want to try to find a KLX250. I've seen a few on Kijiji, but with an arsenal of 3 trucks and 6 bikes..... Melissa wouldn't go for another bike showing up - lol

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Thanks Steve, your fleet is why I inquired haha. In regards to expansion, as long as bikes don’t spill into the house, pretty sure it’s all fair game.

I’ve read a bunch of user reviews on KLR, and got the opinion its too top heavy for trails, but great for long tours.

I’m trying to get out of having to load my bike into the Taco.

I like basket cases too, figuring out the puzzle is fun. Keeps the mind sharp haha.

KLX250 look awesome, their size would be very comparible to my RMZ, can find low kms for good price. Interested in the klx400, but few and far between.

Should a buyer come for my bike, I’m gonna call this fellow.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-atv/ottawa/yamaha-xt/1492546951

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Hey Tom, that’s a nice Bike for $1100. Lights, signals and ownership are a bonus.

My current XR only has a headlight and no ownership… I would like something I could plate, there’s really nowhere to ride around my house. Even though I have 10 acres of township owned bush lot in my backyard – the crochety old neighbours would be chasing me around with pitch forks and hoes – except for Mark – lol.

Idea would be I drive the truck at Ardbeg and Melissa rides the bike, instead of bouncing her head off the windows in boredom…

My 3 targets were always the KLX, DRZ, XR and XT… I tend only to look for the Japanese bikes.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I hear you on the “stick with Japanese bikes” approach, they just build wicked stuff really well. Good for resale.

My buddy and I have flipped two non-JPN machine, and it’s the only one we lost money on. Bombardier DS650 atv, holy hell were service parts expensive compared to JPN counterparts. We lost $50. Learned our lesson. Made $$ on a DS90, but cause we bought it cheap at an auction, and only put a spark plug in it.

I figured that 25 y/o Yamaha running and complete for $1100 is a good deal, having good cosmetics and an ownership makes it a better deal haha.

I’ve got a few buyers cued up for $2,500, but nobody has shown up yet.

Outside of 125-250cc MX bikes (CR, KX, RMZ, YZ), I’ve only ridden an R6 and that was a blast. I hope to add about 1 bike/year to my “have ridden” list.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

The first true crotch rocket I rode was a CBR600RR. I was really surprised at how the powerband kicked in at 7000 RPM and kept pulling until the 15000 red line… I was coming up to a red light and grabbed the front brake like I would on my Connie and nearly went over the handlebars!!! If I didn’t grab the bike with my knees, I would have wound up in the intersection with the bike waiting back at the line…

When I got the Z1000, the power was almost double the CBR. It was A LOT of fun, but way too tempting to use that power. Even though I chopped the Connie down, it’s still a carbureted heavy bitch and not quite as crazy at the Z1000 was.

As I sell off the current herd (except the Connies and M’s Ninja), I’d like to build an FTR and keep an enduro or 2 around.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 255 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024