Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Those look sweet. They flare nuts are 10mm, I have a whole set and only ever use the 10, looking back thats all I would buy.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Redee fought back after taking offense to my more assertive methods, and kinked a rear axle hard line. So I’m back to the parts store.  Will grab an M10 flare wrench if they have one.

At least I don’t have to worry about removing those axle hard lines carefully. And I get to use the new brake line bender I got for christmas.

Seems likely that I’m going to replace all the hard lines on either end of a rubber hose.  Hoses are garbage, not worth the stress to separate them considering lines are $4-7 each for 8”-60” runs.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Do yourself a huge favour and get copper nickel brake lines from eBay my whole roll was like 30-40 bucks. It flares and bends so easy. Trust me it’s worth it! I did Orange Saphhire front to back with it, and the lines from the master are a dream. I believe Toyota still sells pre bent lines too, and Rock Auto. Worth a look, but if you changed your master cylinder I dont know if it’ll work

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

You’re the second person to suggest I buy a roll of copper nickel tubing. I am historically bloody terrible at flaring tubing, but I guess now is as good of time as any to re-learn.

Rock Auto doesn’t sell pre- bent hard lines,  nor does Canadian Tire/Napa.  I inquired at Hallmark Toyota in Orangeville and most were obsoleted from their systen. Hallmark did print me out their parts image page so I can see all the part numbers…perhaps I’ll dive deep into ebay again.

I bought a couple lengths of pre-flared lines from my local shop, but the pre-determined lengths are gonna bite me in the ass. Left rear axle line is roughly 43” flare to flare.  I bought a 40” length because the next size up was 50”.  Thought it would be easier to shorten the path by 3” than consume 7” extra. I think there were some flaws in my thought process. Path Forward: return these pre-flared bits, and buy a roll of tubing and a dozen metric fittings.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by toys-n-yotas.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Great news Redee. The tricky to bend hard lines between the caliper and flex line are available through Toyota for $16ea!  The rest is obsolete.

I opened up an ebay $3 impulse purchase last night to test it. Cheap voltmeter, the 8-bit display looks period correct for the 1980’s, but the blue does not fit. Shoulda bought green light. This Might end up in Redee’s dash somewhere.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Brampton Community Recycling Centre accepted my household hazardous waste for free!!  That means Redee’s gas tank is 85% empty. At least empty enough that I can prevent myself from getting crushed by the tank when I lower it.

Fuel sending unit is looking as grimey as the fuel pump hanger did. Will try to snap some pics later.

Complety unrelated, but I brought both my girls to my favourite “Daddy Store” Princess Auto.   Grabbed solvent for my parts washer, recycled crushed glass for my sand blaster, a brake flaring tool, and a bunch of On Sale tools I prolly don’t need but am able to expense to my current ATV project.  I’ve learned that my girls like going to Princess Auto one-on-one with Daddy, but not together. Too bored if they don’t have my full attention.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

LOL.  any princess auto togetherness time is good!

hey tom, that’s cool that your daughters are wanting to spend time with you doin’ garage stuff. cherish it brother, it’ll only be cool for a couple more years.

on a different note, expect the knarr to make landfall in your driveway about midafternoon on sunday. will txt you about noon time on sunday

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

@Slick_Yota  I wouldn’t trade Princess Auto time for anything.

@Finn  The girls love any time they spend in the shop, usually cause there are treats, tools, or rolling stools involved. Good times. I’ll be home all day Sunday, will put on some fresh coffee after I get your text.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Picked up The hard  lines that connect the calipers to the flex line for $16/side.

My desk calendar is usually subjected to my endless doodling and conjuring of mods for Redee. Started working on a significantly cost reduced “Bat Wing” awning. Hoping harvest an old tent and a roof mounted cargo basket.  If it is purely contained to the basket, I can transfer the awning between the hard topper and Canback.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Mark, it was a pleasure as always chattin’ trucks, wheelin’ and BS.  Happy to meet Kyle as well!!

Thanks for the last piece (or first piece pending if you’re assembling or disassembling) to the HVAC for Redee. Will get it scrubbed and packed away for the rebuilding portion really soon.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Updates:

• defrost venting has been scrubbed and stashed away with the rest of the refurbed HVAC
    • Got my core returns (single diapragm booseter and 4-cyl calipers) sent back to RockAuto for the big ole cost of $0.30
    • ordered up replacement gaskets between Master & booster ($3.40)
    • ordered up replacement gaskets between booster/spacer/firewall ($3.10 ea x2)
    • test fit the booster and master, gotta adjust the pushrod length still, but needs gaskets for sure
    • temp assemble pads, shims and calipers cause they had to come out of their boxes to ship back cores
    FJTTSE
    Keymaster

Lots of progress being made Tom,keep at er,she’ll be done in no time.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

ARB Compressor for lockers, tire top-ups etc… in the parts bin!!  Picked it up $200 brand new in the box. Kijiji win.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Sweet!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024