Select Page

Redee – 1986 4Runner

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS Redee – 1986 4Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 608 total)
  • Author
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Yea I had the right mix of tunes herbs patience and luck, I really didn’t want to pull the carb off to drill it.

Haven’t ordered any parts yet, still waiting to re-try the external crush fitting.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

On both Sat & Sun I took Redee out for an adventure drive, scoping out the No Exit roads as most become part of the OFSC sled trails…hard packed and groomed, they are sheets of ice as they melt.
    The good news, the ARB air leak has mostly sorted itself out. The locker engages within a few seconds, and the compressor didn’t have to cycle to keep it on. Perhaps the pin-hole type leak is only an issue when not moving?
    The roads are clearing up nicely, only a few sloppy/icey sections. Painted Redee brown again, unintentional but quite thorough coverage.
    The bad news, I gotta significant ATF leak coming from the steering box input shaft, and I don’t think I can replace the leaky seal with the box still mounted in Redee.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Glad to hear you got the air leak taken care of. Sucks about the ATF leak – sounds like a time consuming repair…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Haha thanks Steve, that air leak was repaired purely by neglect. All I did was make a plan, find ebay parts, and ignore Redee. It’s possible I uttered a few threatening words regarding minor surgery in Redee’s earshot, and she smartened up.

The ATF leak is only frustrating because it was BONE FRIGGEN DRY for the first 1,000km roughly. Perhaps the proximity to the exhaust manifold overcooked the input seal. Not looking forward to dropping the box again, but I will put tons of paint markings on the splines to keep my alignment true.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Took the Truckee the Taco on nearly a carbon copy tour that Redee went on a couple days ago. The extra 85,000km on the Truckees duratracs are VERY NOTICEABLE haha. The Taco does not resist getting pulled towards the ditches nearly as well as Redee.
    Coming down some Ess bends, I got a little close to the shoulder and found myself chanting “turn truckee, Turn Truckee, TURN TRUCKEE!!” as panic was starting to set in. An extra dose of steering input, and a little throttle to break the back end loose brought the nose back into an appropriate lane. Good times. Glad Matt was able to watch the drama from his 4th Gen.

Matt’s 4th gen looks boss with the TRD rims and Duratracs. His only grief now is that he has too much grip, and is super jelly of my 2wd Traction nannies off power-sliding abilities. He’s ordered an OEM “ESC OFF” button that I will wire in for him upon arrival. Apparently 2003-2007 had no button, but all the wiring required. In 2008 they filled a switch blank with “ESC OFF”, when activatex also fully turns off Traction Control. Then, only then, will the 4th Gen hold a match to either of my trucks 😉

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

No off button??? wow! Need to get that in for sure!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Just waiting on the postman.

Our HotStart plunger arrived today, so the RM-Z450 is only 15-mins away from a test ride

Toy-Yota
    Participant

We’ve been thinking about getting a bike too. We sold the atv a couple weeks ago. I’d get something just to boot around on when we go to the cottage, but it would be mainly for my wife while I’m in My truck wheeling.

The main problem we have now is with my camper and the Land Cruiser I have no way of moving a quad but I could figure out a mount to put a small dirt bike on the trailer. I’m thinking like a CRF/Xr100 size bike or maybe a TTR125 or something.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Oh that’s an awesome compliment to your LC. That’s a big reason behind my quest to build a new rear bumper, so I can use my 2” hitch carrier for the bike. Like carrying around a trail pre-runner!! And use no gas too.

My only suggestion to your bike choice, E-start. Most of the smaller trail bikes have it, but not all.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

E-start is awesome, for sure! Having a hitch receiver bike mount is cool too – I had one for my KLR when I was taking it up to Ardbeg. I had to beef it up for a bike that big though. Smaller bikes, you wouldn’t need to modify it.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

If I still have my MX bike in June, I’m planning to go ride the South Trail on a weekday. Avoid traffic, MNR and all that headache. Hoping somebody will buy it before then, get myself a Blue plate. Got a slap in the face offer of $500 for BOTH the Suzuki’s, got the pair for sale at $7,000 obo ($5500 will take it all home). Love Kijiji BS.

I bought my hitch carrier from Royal Distributing in 2010, still works as good as new, hardly even a spot of rust on it. Heaviest bike carried around 250 pounds.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

That’s the carrier I had. But the KLR was close to 400lbs! Hence why I had to beef it up!

I hate those Kijiji trollers. Now I know why so many adds are insulting about contact…

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Had a non-kijiji win yesterday. To host a husband/wife kijiji buyers responsibly at a distance, I pushed the two bikes to my buddies curb. While they were thinking about it, two local boys stopped in a paid $500 more than them! The bikes were shiny, both started without much fuss, and sold for 90% of asking price within 5-hours.

Hooray for payday.

Time to go get my M1, and look for a super cheap enduro.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

I had to tear into the drums of the Taco yesterday. For a few days now the shoes have been sticking when I let off the e-brake in the morning. All I did was clean about 5 pounds of dust out of each side, and scuff up the drum.
    I must look into what “special tool” is used for the star wheels, because that mofo is impossible to adjust tighter from the inspection hole on the back. Looser was a B**** too, but tighter afterwards was impossible.
    Looks like Truckee needs brake shoes, as well as pads/rotors/tires sometime in 2020. Oil change and air filter required sooner rather than later too.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Score for the bikes! Gotta love it when that happens!

I don’t recall mine being too tight, think a flat screw driver could turn it…

Biggest problem I had was at the dealer after having rear wheel bearing replaced under warranty, they told me e-brake cables were broken and needed replaced. $1K parts and 8 hours labour at dealer, so I told them to stuff it…

Had a buddy get me the cables for $150.00 and did it myself in less than 3 hours, taking my time and enjoying a brewski… Saved 85%!

However when I pulled the drums off, I saw the shoes were almost non-existent… Well they could have friggin’ told me that too, since they had it all apart! Had to buy shoes and disassemble everything again to replace the shoes!

They were probably trying to figure out how they could wring as much $$ as humanly possible out of me! Hence why I NEVER go to a dealer for anything other than warranty work (or the odd oil change, if I’m feeling lazy).

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 608 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024