Select Page

My First Land Cruiser

Home Forums TRUCK BUILDS My First Land Cruiser

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

Getting there, it’s ready for galvanizing. The Toro Dingo lifts it and it’s only supposed lift 525 lbs or so, but it can do 7-800 without too much issue. So my guess is it will be north of 1000 when it’s ready to go. But the bare frame probably is around 6-700

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Trailer should be back from galvanizing early next week, so I turned attention to the LX fo-fitty, ordered a rear locker actuator from cruiser Wayne and had it shipped. Got it and put it in the same day and the locker is still not actuating. So I need to pull the inspection plate again and see if I can manually engage it. It may just be stuck.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

My buddy James and I put a new e-locker actuator in his FJ a few weeks ago, and it failed to engage initially. I’m pretty sure James had to manually engage the locker with a screwdriver before putting the actuator in, then install the locker with the actuator in the “locked” position. Second try was a charm for James.

Man that trailer looks good already. I also stumbled across your kijiji ad for the other trailer you built, hopefully it sells quick now that the weather is improving.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks Tom! The Landcruiser locker works a little differently than the 8” elockers. I pulled off the inspection plate and tried to move the locker by hand which I was able to, but it doesn’t stay in the locked position. I don’t think the actuator is getting 12v so I gotta run some tests I get it working right

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Glad the locker moved by hand! Easier half of the battle won already. Good luck on the voltage tests, that’s a long run of wire between the switch (or relay) and axle.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Galvanizing is done. I won’t do it again though, or at least a trailer like this, the heat from the hot dip screwed up a bunch of stuff and tweaked some of the metal beyond bending it back, and the guys on the forklift dented a bunch of stuff, I was dissappointed.
    It looks good though

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Looks good and strong! Will you get your money back out of it?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Oh ya, structurally it’s all good, some of the sheet metal got tweaked and the fenders, but I fixed that. The only thing that doesn’t fit proper anymore is the lid. So I’ll see if I can cut and weld that today and get it to fit more loosely in the frame.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

She’s done. Let me know what you think. Happy with the overall product I got it all straightened out and it turned out well.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Looks very professional. Nice work!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Hey buddy that looks fantastic! Use your LC to take plenty of glamour shots, and that trailer will sell itself.

How heavy is that lid to swing open with thr RTT on the lid? Could your wife pop it open and retrieve something, or need assistance?

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Thanks guys!

The lid is really heavy, it’s sheeted with 1/4 aluminum which is pretty heavy plus the tent, but with the gas struts I think anyone could open it and it stays up on its own.
    I think the gas struts are 100 lbs each if I remember correctly.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Took some staged pictures this aft after work

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    toys-n-yotas
    Participant

Looks great buddy, and your timing is perfect as the improving weather has me thinking camping.

Toy-Yota
    Participant

I thought I’d have a little more interest in it but not much yet. Oh well I’m sure It’ll sell.
    I learned a lot building this one, definitely made mistakes and paid for it when I had to fix them, lots of things that won’t happen again. Experience has been gained for sure. I have around 100 hours into this trailer with my running around and parts shopping etc. So I don’t think I can be as profitable as I’d like to be unless I build them in less hours (ie: two at a time) which I may do for the next one depending on steel prices.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024