Select Page

Garage and Shop Talk

Home Forums THE BACK PORCH Garage and Shop Talk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Toy-Yota
    Participant

That looks awesome! When you have a smallish space it’s smart to start building upwards and storing things in what would normally be wasted space!

2 unrelated questions: how many bikes do you have right now?

and how do you like your echo saw?

and 3rd: here’s a shot of a shop a good friend of mine is finishing up at his home. He has a Mk4 supra so we call it the “Supras home.” We worked on it for weeks and it’s finally coming together. Note the dormer (top left) for the 4 post that’s going in soon. He poured 8-12 inches of concrete for the hoist that’s going in. He decided on 4 post because it’s better for storage, than a 2 post (you’re always hitting the door of the vehicle on the posts) I’ll get more pics once it’s finished up. He’s basically all Makita cordless tools so he only runs pneumatics for tires basically. Very well thought out though, he drew diagrams with the measurements of all his vehicle to ensure what he built made the most sense. He made it as big as the city would allow. I don’t think you’ll ever regret having as much space as humanly possible.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Toy-Yota.
    Keymaster

Nice spaces!!!

I agree with going as big as a permit would allow, but the wife is not willing to give up the majority of the backyard. 20’x30′ garage leaves us very little yard space for the kid to run around in. Apparently 20’x30′ takes up too much space…. ARGGGG! can’t win .

I grabbed a bunch of deck boards that were laying around and created a 20’x 30′ footprint of were the garage would sit in the backyard (according to the survey drawing I posted on page 1) I was immediately shut down because of the footprint size. For me I could care less about the backyard that’s left, but she does not share my ideals. It would leave no room for a garden or swing set or running around. I agree there wouldn’t be enough room left and I can’t just think of my selfish desires.

I also agree going vertical. Id definitely design a space with a car lift in mind. Legally I can’t exceed the house peak height. I’d have to contact the city about that. I know someone that built a garage and they were limited to a certain height and could not put a lift in because of the height bylaw.

The idea of moving my shop out of the basement is to free up more storage room that we desperately need. Its crazy how much stuff comes into the picture when there’s a kid around. Otherwise id keep the basement shop and split the tooling between the basement and garage…. again not ideal. When we work on trucks in my driveway, we are constantly going down stairs for more tools, which creates wear and tear on the steps and floor. What goes UP must go back Down! what a PITA!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by 4307.
    Keymaster

Here’s some crappy pics of the backyard and the 20’x30’ garage footprint I layed our with deck boards. As you can see it doesn’t leave me with much of a yard. Things always look good in a drawing

Toy-Yota
    Participant

Yeah I definitely see her concerns now that I see a picture haha.

I guess the hard part isn’t convincing the city is it?

Too bad you couldn’t build higher or you could have a rental space up there and then maybe the money coming in each month would blind her to the size of the garage.

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

How well does that 20×30 fit if you clock it 90 degrees snd put it along the back fence line? Tuck it right in place where the shed currently stands.

Garage can’t be taller than the house….but how tall is your house?  Bungalow, back/side split, two storey?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

@Toy-Yota:  4 Bikes – 1982 Honda XR200, 1987 Kawi Cocnours (undergoing surgery), 2011 Kawi 400 Ninja for the better half and a 2008 Kawi Z1000 weapon, which I might be selling in the spring.

I like the echo chainsaw (currently at finn’s place – which is ok because I have his chop saw here :P).

That’s a nice floor in that shop!  mine is cracked and heaved a bit…

@4307
    – kids don’t play outside anymore.  No need for a yard!  Tell S to relax!

toys-n-yotas
    Participant

@4307 – kids don’t play outside anymore.  No need for a yard!  Tell S to relax!

@Slick  my love for wheelin’, wrenchin’, camping and exploring started a a wee young age of getting grass stained and muddy in the backyard. Growing up in town, my parents would wonder where all the mud came from, till they found my Tonka trucks half-buried in the flower beds

However as a devils advocate, Being sent outside to “burn off some energy” would be a lot different with a 20×30 full of cutting, forming and fabrication tools at ones expense. Can raise a fine young skilled trades-woman and worry less about screen time, cyber bullying, blah blah blah.

Keymaster

well still have a disaster of a backyard, and sitting exactly where I was, when I started this thread.

now I’m debating a 15×30 garage but feel that would be too small. especially after putting a Bridgeport mill in there.

I wish I lived in the country.

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Finally measured mine: it’s 14.5 x 40.  A bit unorganized right now, because I am up to 6 bikes and 2 new steel work benches (thanks finn!!!).

On holidays this week, so organizing the garage is a priority.

Keymaster

Steve, is that 14.5′ inside width or outside width?

you’re welcome slick.

hey ryan, some shop is better than no shop

Keymaster

Well, I thought id make my garageless experience even more frustrating… LOL

I was made 2 offers I could NOT! refuse.

the first offer was a 9×42 Bridgeport Milling Machine. I’ve had an eye out for a Bridgeport for a few years now. Usually the price for one is higher for a beat-up machine, and a nice one is more than id like to pay.

I responded to an ad for a Hartford Mill, Bridgeport clone. that mill sold instantaneously. Kinda bummed, I asked the seller if he happens to have a Bridgeport he’d part with… he said yes!

The Bridgeport he offered was in amazing condition, he just wanted to get rid of it.

Anyway, I picked it up for a very good price $2900. Came with some collets and was equipped with a quality DRO… big bonus! Wired for 220v, it originally cane with a 3 phase 600v motor, he gave me that aw well. If I ever get into a shop with 600v I’ll swap out the 220v.

The second offer was a K.O.Lee.co surface grinder for the topping price of $150. It needs a cleanup and a new hydraulic ram for the X axis, and a 220v motor. The table glides well in the X & Y axis manually, and the grinding head raises and lowers without issue. I have a motor for it but need to source a ram for the table. I can’t tell if the hydraulic power pack has issues, till I fire it up. All in all, it should be a straight forward rebuild/cleanup. For $150 I can get for money for it if all fails and it needs to be scrapped.

Typically a surface grinder goes for a few thousand dollars used. I think I did o.k.

Now I REALLY need my own garage, where I can permanently set this stuff up. My shop space is the current home for now, not a great place to use it, but not impossible. There’s no way these are going in my basement shop… LOL. 

Keymaster

The K.O.Lee surface grinder.

I also whipped together an outdoor use blacksmith post vise stand. I was sick of not having a vise outside. I’ll keep it in the shed, away from the elements. This sucker is heavier then it looks.

ryan, nice score brother! what , sarah won’t let you cut a trapdoor in the front entry floor to get that into the basement?

Slick_Yota
    Keymaster

Nice score indeed!  That vise looks to weigh close to 4 bills…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024