Select Page

COMMS: Suggestions (CB, FRS, HAM)

Home Forums CLUB CHAT COMMS: Suggestions (CB, FRS, HAM)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #209215

    I have recently become interested in getting my amateur radio licence in order to be used out on the trail. One suggestion I have received is to get what other 4WD have in their vehicle.

    Since I am new to 4WD in Ontario, I was wondering what members here do for communications. Do most have CB radios, or Family Radio Service radios, UHF, VHF, etc…..



    In my experience that most offroaders use CB.

    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by FJTTSE.

    The last couple of years, most people seem to be using GMRS radios. I actually got rid of my CB because very few I was wheeling with had one and if they did, the reception was crap because of the terrain… If you can’t see who you want to talk to, your CB won’t reach them.

    The GMRS radios seem to have a better range in the hills and woods we traverse. They’re about $100 for a pair on Amazon. It’s best to get a model that you can plug directly into a USB charger, rather than on a cradle (like the FRS I used to have and also (lost) got rid of). Just need to get a brand that plays well with others – I think Motorolla, Cobra, Uniden work well together…

    Amazon GMRS


    Very true, I’ve had CBs in my last Trucks and we never really did use them often but when we did the reception was garbage. With that said I have no idea how to use them properly so maybe it was my fault.


    UPDATE – Well I went off and got my amateur radio license. I also purchased the Baofeng UV5R handheld radio. This will allow you to tune into GSRM, UHF and VHF frequencies. It costs approximately $70.

    I would recommend this radio for the flexibility and the cost.

    Thanks for all the recommendations.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A total of 203 users registered and the latest user is ittraining01, registered on 3-8-2024